Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
Matt Lupton-Levy
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Discord hate each other

I'm teaching a student digital music through Discord. Although he can play me his work on reaper and share screens, whenever I try and show him something on Reaper, my sound card crashed. I tried a different soundcard, and he says I sound like a robot, then I lose communication with him. I have tried using virtual cables, and voicemeeter. It seems no matter what configuration I am advised to use, as soon as I boot up Reaper, the ASIO panel has red crosses next to one or more of the routes in or out of either program.
Wasapi did help briefly, although it seems to prevent me from recording anything into Reaper, only playing out. I have spent days and days on this problem. Maybe REaper just doesn't like Discord?
Matt Lupton-Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:41 PM   #2
ferropop

This might be a stretch, but you *might* have the following hardware which will solve your problems:

1. An onboard soundcard with Digital Out
2. An interface with Digital In

Set Windows itself to use the Digital Out for all OS sound output. This completely separates it from interfering with your ASIO stuff.

Connect your onboard soundcard to your interface through digital. Set your interface to Live Monitor the Digital In, so you can hear Windows sound "through" the interface (but untouched as it is Digital!).

Hopefully this at least sparks some ideas of how to get them to play nice. You can always go Analog Out from your onboard soundcard but this tends to be noisy -- but it works if you have no Digital Out!

Last edited by ferropop; 01-26-2021 at 07:25 PM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:02 AM   #3
cyrano

Also, how good or bad are both internet connections?
Old 01-27-2021, 05:10 AM   #4
X-Raym

Definitely not a reaper, but a soundcard one, as you said, your soundard crash not reaper.

What soundcard model is it ?

You might want to try other ways to stream your reaper audio like audiomover plugin if virtual cable etc doesnt work.
Also, this kind of multi feed workflow can be sensitive to sample rate try to have it not change from one app to another.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #5
themixtape

Soundcard isn't Focusrite is it? Their newer drivers always pull the "robot" b.s. with Zoom and Discord. I went back to years-old drivers for my 2i4 and 18i20.... the new drivers are trash. Reached out to Focusrite (Reddit guy TomFocusrite, who responds to tech issues a lot) and he just blew me off.

The new drivers are trash, the new interfaces are trash. If it's Focusrite, stick to the 1st gen ones, and the OLD drivers (such as 2.5.1, or MixControl 1.8).

Better yet, get a Motu M4 with loopback capability.

Hope that helps!