Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
Archimedes
Human being with feelings

Default Superior Drummer 3

Spent the day downloading & installing the full boat.

It's great!

Stand-alone is having issues with my Lynx AES16e pair. But running within Reaper hasnt surfaced any issues.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
Pinknoise

Downloading !! It's gonna take a while !! The upgrade price is good considering all the new stuff coming with it !
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Downloading !! It's gonna take a while !! The upgrade price is good considering all the new stuff coming with it !
I'm extremely happy with it. I love that I can define a kit piece and load my own samples behind it. I also love that I can mix and match kit pieces - much like BFD3.

Very pleased with this upgrade. Lookung forward to exercising the various surround features, mixer features, etc.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:47 AM   #4
ivansc

I have just the basic library installed on my laptop and it is more than adequate.

Full monte on my Studio desktop and the variety of options is still mind boggling even after the months I have spent playing with it.

And don't you love the new graphics in the SDXs?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:09 AM   #5
Judders

I can't wait to upgrade. Just gotta wait for some invoices to come in!

One thing that I'm not so sure about is the MIDI mapping tab. Doesn't look as clear as SD2.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I can't wait to upgrade. Just gotta wait for some invoices to come in!

One thing that I'm not so sure about is the MIDI mapping tab. Doesn't look as clear as SD2.
It seems pretty good. You can move the handle on the right side of the window to go to zones where keys are used. Those zones are hilighted in blue. What's neat is that you don't have to go to mapping window when a drum piece is selected there is a little window showing it's mapping in the drum view.

Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I have just the basic library installed on my laptop and it is more than adequate.

Full monte on my Studio desktop and the variety of options is still mind boggling even after the months I have spent playing with it.

And don't you love the new graphics in the SDXs?
I do love the updated graphics! It's going to take me a couple of months to fully appreciate the changes, and the significant increase in features and functions. I know I'll be tempted to go back and re-mix some of my work. As it is with any major update/improvement, there's going to be a learning curve. Sometimes that's a pain worth avoiding - but so far, SD3 has inspired me to learn as much as I can about it - especially if it helps me move away from other other products on which I've relied in the past.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 AM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
It's going to take me a couple of months to fully appreciate the changes, .

Ha Ha! I have been with it since Day One & still struggling to cope with all the new stuff.

This has been the most challenging Beta I have ever done by a mile but SO worth it.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
kgarello

Default Tracker and Midi Editor Play position Ahead of Sound

Has anyone else experienced this.

In the Tracker and Midi editor, the transport is about an 8th note ahead of the actual hit.

I have tried setting buffer size to different settings and it does not appear to resolve the problem.

I don't see any discernable latency when hitting a drum in the drums panel.

Thanks,

Ken
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarello View Post

In the Tracker and Midi editor, the transport is about an 8th note ahead of the actual hit.

I have tried setting buffer size to different settings and it does not appear to resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Ken
Do you have ReaVerb or ReaTune in your project? They can cause this problem and there are others too. ReaVerb has a couple of checkboxes that can help "ZZ" and "LL".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #11
thequietroom

My internet connection is having a good day so i pulled thr trigger. Let the downloads begin.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #12
Lowell Mather 5150

Any truth to weak snares?

Also, only stereo outputs/stereo outputs mapped to DAW now?
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #13
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Mather 5150 View Post
Any truth to weak snares?

Also, only stereo outputs/stereo outputs mapped to DAW now?
Nope to both.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 AM   #14
kgarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Do you have ReaVerb or ReaTune in your project? They can cause this problem and there are others too. ReaVerb has a couple of checkboxes that can help "ZZ" and "LL".
Thanks Tod,

Bypassing all my effects resolved the problem.

Ken
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #15
tombuur

Quote:

Thanks,

Ken
I have exactly the same experience, and this latency is there even when you load nothing but SD3 in a new project. I find it hard to use the grid editor because of this as it requires me to mentally compensate for the delay between sound and visual clue. I hope this can be fixed, maybe if Toontrack added an adjustable delay to the graphics?
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #16
tombuur

Quote:

Thanks,

Ken
I found another solution to this problem. In Preferences\Audio\Buffering there is a setting: Anticipate FX processing.

You normally need to have this checked to get the best RT cpu performance, e.g. a lot better than Cubase is capable of. That's another story. But once it is checked the audio in the grid editior of SD3 lacks that 1/8 note behind the visual notes on the grid. Uncchecking it they play in sync.

This means I can't get SD3 grid to work in sync in a cpu heavy project. But at least I can make it work in the initial composing phases before a lot of tracks and fx are added.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #17
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
I found another solution to this problem. In Preferences\Audio\Buffering there is a setting: Anticipate FX processing.

You normally need to have this checked to get the best RT cpu performance, e.g. a lot better than Cubase is capable of. That's another story. But once it is checked the audio in the grid editior of SD3 lacks that 1/8 note behind the visual notes on the grid. Uncchecking it they play in sync.

This means I can't get SD3 grid to work in sync in a cpu heavy project. But at least I can make it work in the initial composing phases before a lot of tracks and fx are added.
@tombuur, did you miss these posts?

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Tod,

Bypassing all my effects resolved the problem.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #18
tombuur

Quote:
@tombuur, did you miss these posts?
Nope. I saw those posts, and none of them were relevant to my problem. I didn't have any rea-plugins. The delay was there even when SD3 was the only plugin inserted in a single track project.

I then tried Cubase and Studio one. No problem.

Then back to Reaper and found out unchecking Anticipate FX ... solved the problem.

I find this is important knowledge, since checking that option is necessary for Reaper to optimize latency in heavy project, avoid crackles and more.