Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
adam79
Human being with feelings

Default MT Powerdrums 2 - Importing Other Drum Plugin

Hey, can anyone help me with switching the drums in MT Powerdrums 2 to a different kit from another plugin?
In the video on their site they show you how to do it in Cubase, but the layout is different and I couldn't translate what they were doing to Reaper.

Also, do you need to use a self contained VI drums plugin (like SSD5, Toontrack, etc) or can you use a kit loaded into a sampler? I'd prefer to use the Drumdrops kit I have loaded into SFZ for this.

Thanks.
adam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:41 AM   #2
Mcgiver69

If you want to use the Drumdrops kits then you'll have to print the drum map from MT-Powerdrum then edit the SFZ file and change all the midi note that call each element of the kit to match MT-Powerdrums. Best advice copy the SFZ file and call it something like <name>-MTPower.sfz that way you keep the original and everytime you want to use MTP loops you just call this new SFZ file.

I hope this helps.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:38 AM   #3
adam79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
If you want to use the Drumdrops kits then you'll have to print the drum map from MT-Powerdrum then edit the SFZ file and change all the midi note that call each element of the kit to match MT-Powerdrums. Best advice copy the SFZ file and call it something like <name>-MTPower.sfz that way you keep the original and everytime you want to use MTP loops you just call this new SFZ file.

I hope this helps.
Is there anyway you could be a bit more detailed? I'm brand new to MIDI. I just downloaded SFZ the other day and still can't even figure out how to edit the keymap in SFZ to play the Drumdrop kit manually with my controller.

I also can't figure out how to link the loaded Drumdrop kit in SFZ to MT, let alone change the config, like u mentioned, in SFZ before linking it.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
Reason

You would need to find the .sfz file, and then open it in a text editor, eg Notepad++ (free and recommended regardless of your main question). Then find the note names and rename them as appropriate.

I don't use Sforzando so I can't comment on that workflow suggestion. I can tell you what I did, albeit for a very simple drum part that uses electronic drum samples. For acoustic drum samples, you'd probably need to do some more work to incorporate round robins.

Take your MTPDK "song" and drag it to the track in Reaper. This should create a midi item. Doubleclick it to open the Piano Roll. Change the "piano" keyboard on the far left to show note numbers; I think the buttons for that are in the toolbar near the top left.

Load an instance of ReaSamplomatic5000 for each sample to be used (kick, snare, etc). Then change the start and end notes of each sample to correspond with the appropriate note that you see in the Piano Roll, eg Kick might be 36, Snare 38, etc.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #5
adam79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
You would need to find the .sfz file, and then open it in a text editor, eg Notepad++ (free and recommended regardless of your main question). Then find the note names and rename them as appropriate.

I don't use Sforzando so I can't comment on that workflow suggestion. I can tell you what I did, albeit for a very simple drum part that uses electronic drum samples. For acoustic drum samples, you'd probably need to do some more work to incorporate round robins.

Take your MTPDK "song" and drag it to the track in Reaper. This should create a midi item. Doubleclick it to open the Piano Roll. Change the "piano" keyboard on the far left to show note numbers; I think the buttons for that are in the toolbar near the top left.

Load an instance of ReaSamplomatic5000 for each sample to be used (kick, snare, etc). Then change the start and end notes of each sample to correspond with the appropriate note that you see in the Piano Roll, eg Kick might be 36, Snare 38, etc.

Thanks, I get what your saying.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
Goldreap

Right click MT-PowerDrumKit routing button (in the REAPER bar top of plugin) > Set MIDI output to 'Merges with MIDI bus'.
Put Sforzando on your track after MT.
In MT settings set up your MIDI map for Drumdrops (and save it for future).
MIDI dragged from MT to your DAW will be ready to trigger Drumdrops properly.
If MT settings has MIDI out ON, then playing grooves within MT will trigger Drumdrops properly.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:43 PM   #7
adam79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
If MT settings has MIDI out ON, then playing grooves within MT will trigger Drumdrops properly.
Thanks for the help, but I must have misunderstood something cuz the grooves are still using the MT kit. If I drag the grooves into a track with SFZ it will use the Drumdrops kit, so I guess I'll do it that way if I cant get it to play in MT.

Quote:
Put Sforzando on your track after MT.
Does this mean to add Sforzando after MT in the FX window?

Quote:
In MT settings set up your MIDI map for Drumdrops (and save it for future).
I changed the key #'s to correspond to the Drumdrops kit, altho it has some percussion (tambos, claps, etc.) that isn't available in the MT map.

Last edited by adam79; 01-28-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:25 AM   #8
Goldreap

In the FX chain window signal flow is top to bottom, so yes, by 'after MT' I mean 'after' (or 'under') in the chain window.
Then if you want to hear Drumdrops when you play the grooves within MT, make sure Settings > MIDI out is ON and mute the master in the MT mixer.
And yes, MT's patterns are for its own list of drums. If you want Drumdrops percussion you can add that manually in the DAW MIDI editor.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote