Old 06-17-2018, 05:18 AM   #1
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

Default Item Label Background Color ...

Hi,

I searched the forums but didn't find a complete solution. So i decided to start a new thread to solve this finally.

For me its a pretty annoying thing to make a quick time selection at certain zoom levels. I work a lot with Reaper but i just don't get it into my brain where to place the mouse for time selection especially if the tracks have no dark color to separate enough from the track lane. Of course after some looking I find the right spot above the items or at a zoomed out free place with no items, but that's not intuitive. I asked myself: why the heck is it so disturbing to make a time selection? The answer is: there is no visible guidance to do it intuitive if you are zoomed in with no free room on the track lane.

So what I really like about Reaper is how its possible to match it to your own workflow. Unfortunately i got stuck here because i have no idea how to create a visual guidance the way i would like.

Here is an example:

The above darker item header would it make much easier to focus and place the mouse pointer for a time selection.

That's the Reason I want to color the header (not just the label background) in a solid color. It would be much better to follow a darker separated guide rather then looking for the space between tracks or items.

So my question is: Did someone find a way to achieve this or are there more people who find it annoying to not have the possibility?

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item label bg.jpg (54.6 KB, 636 views)
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:59 AM   #2
bobobo

or

you can set the pixels between adjacent tracks to a higher value, creating more place to aim the right spot

Preference - Appearance

or

edit the mousemodifiers for items an drag left , f.i. shift win drag -> select time
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
vitalker

Will this save you? If yes, go to Actions list, type in "Theme development: Show theme tweak/configuration window" to the filter and run the action. After that you can choose color (but firstly check the first marked option with x) that you need:
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 AM   #4
Eliseat

Many thanks for your replies but those hints don't solve it in the way i would like. The "draw colored bar ..." function is only for selected items and puts the bar below the header. And I'm working on a laptop so more space between tracks is no option. Are there some UI tweaker or theme developer who can post a comment if its even possible to draw a solid color behind the item "header" or not?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
bobobo

you wrote you had problems to select timeselection and or items

instead of tweaking the theme you can tweak the behabviour of reaper

Jon made a video about selecting items and time selections and stuff
using customized mousemodifiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp2unQmoTt0
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
you wrote you had problems to select timeselection and or items

instead of tweaking the theme you can tweak the behabviour of reaper

Jon made a video about selecting items and time selections and stuff
using customized mousemodifiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp2unQmoTt0
I guess its at least much better than the standard behavior of Reaper, because its really pretty annoying to get lost in the view if you are zoomed in. So many thanks for the hint with the Reaper-blog tutorial.

But beside the solution of the handling I still would like to color those item headers as its in my opinion more helpful and pleasing for the eyes to follow a darker or lighter item headers.