Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-28-2018, 05:59 AM   #41
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

No worries.
Of concern to me is if it was said in ww2, and from bit of research seems it was. Beyond that it's a song not a documentary!
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #42
Mr. Data

Hi BenK-msx,

Sorry for chiming in that late, but I just now saw your posting.

Of course I dunno how far you got on with your song up to now, but I think Mschnell is right. Even if your song isn't supposed to be a documentation, it would give a deeper impression of what happened if the translations are done sorta realistic, even to German or Russion listeners who are aware of what's going on in your English lyrics.

So imagine, being on a battlefield (which I hope you never had or must to) and you see your comrades fall, one after another, some of which you don't know, others you know and yet others became friends, some of them you know by name, some of them only by their nick-name. You'd probably call their names or nick-names, presumably under tears.

Dunno, if I can help you, but I'd do if I can.

However 'Heimatschuss' might be a German word, consisting of the word 'Heimat', which would be 'home', 'home country', 'homeland' and the word 'Schuss', which (clearly) means 'shot', but I never heard someone say 'Heimatschuss', so I rackon it might be the worst possible choice.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 06-19-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #43
BenK-msx

hey mr D, cheers.

song is currently in a 'holding pattern' ready for final tweaks/mastering whilst i get others to the same point ! almost done though.

understand your point, but also i had to consider the song i have in front of me - and the little section available for the swirling voices flashbacky dreamy thing i envisaged was pretty short - and need time to transition to a new section else it was jarring, reducing time avail even more.

also since there is a main spoken part leading the way, having the non-english language voices strong, clear or too often was not asthetically pleasing no matter what i did...

however i have used the voices kindly supplied, in a subtle, catch it on the 7th listen kind of way..
how many of our fave songs had unintelligible parts that you only figured out years later after 100 listens! why not include that kind of reward

do also like the idea of hearing a voice, knowing its spoken voice, and not knowing exactly what is said, 'what language is that' ? more to do with the 'sound' and reaction to hearing a voice.

will post back with a listen available soon
Old 06-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #44
BenK-msx

After a few delays this tune is out - I uploaded as was getting sick of them!

have the option to update the master if I feel the tonal balance bothers me over time but inclination is low as its a gritty performance piece overall.

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=NW...&feature=share

Thanks to vitalker and themaartian for their voice snippets which swirl around the dazed/injured guys head.
Names are included in liner notes but I don't know which services show them yet.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #45
vitalker

Thank you for your kind words and you are welcome!
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #46
TheMaartian

And thanks for posting the finished piece! Really nice work!

Better later than never!
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #47
BenK-msx

Cheers guys - it was mostly another piece that delayed things - not to worry
Old 06-15-2019, 02:26 AM   #48
HoJo

Hallo.

Late at the party - I'm sorry.

Just like mentioned before: I have never ever heard somebody say "Heimatschuss". So, I believe it is far off daily usage.

In a documentation way I would translate it probably differently. Whenever somebody has been hit by a deadly shot, it would hav been mentioned as "Er ist gefallen!" or "Wir haben einen Gefallenen!".

If somebody would have been hit by a non-deadly shot, it would have probably been mentioned as "Er ist getroffen!", or "Wir haben einen Verwundeten!"

Unsure if it helps.

BR,
HoJo
HoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:55 AM   #49
BenK-msx

Hi - sorry but the Party has finished, everything is packed away and the hosts are in bed!

(Link to the finish tune is a few posts up)

It was used during Ww2 by soldiers as slang according to anecdotal and research evidence - which was what i was interested in - it's more about me knowing it's there in the track adding an 'otherness' than it being very clear and blatant.

Cheers anyway
Old 06-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #50
HoJo

No problem. Thanks for posting the link.

You did the whole thing very well!
I like the singing, the arrangement, even the acoustic guitar playing is done excellently.
Congratulations. I even like the production,

Great stuff. Did you do that using onboard fx exclusively?

BR,
HoJo
HoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #51
BenK-msx

Thanks very much Hojo -

Hard for me to guage at the moment as song is years old and I wanted to recreate the vibe of one demo rehearsal recording I made on a iPod years back that I always liked -

Every time I tried to record it properly it fell flat - clicks and multitracking sucked the vibe away.

the idea for these recordings was capturing a performance in one go in a 'to tape' style, tricky for me as most of my music making history has been electronic based and started late acoustically -
getting a good take played and sung well enough all the way through without mistakes wasn't the work of an afternoon!

Later added other parts & played in (with some edits) the drums using aerodrums so I at least had human input and reactions.

So all processing and fx ITB and in reaper.

It prob not your usual tune anyway !
Cheers