Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
FatherG
Human being with feelings

Default Utilizing Core Duo 2 ? ( In live situations)

Hello All You Reapers

I am running af live setup in Reaper. I have a number of tracks, running VST instruments, and toggle them on and of with af controller.
So, I play on 1 to 8 tracks simultanously, also adding tracks with routed effects.

The latency is OK, but sometimes (often) it hang for a splitsecond, with glitches to follow, and it donīt help to increase latency (anyway I couldnīt use it, then).

I know thatīs a lot to ask from the PC, but it p.... me of, that it only uses one of the two cores in my "HP core due 2 (1.66)".
I have just opgradet from a celeron, so I expected a major improvement, but itīs not really there.

I have seen in other threads, and on playback, and when rendering, that it works fine with 2 cores (and obviously more), but never in this particular function. Of course there is no use of "FX look ahead" functions and alikes, but is there a way to force Reaper (or windows XP)to use both cores to share the job?

Has anyone made the trick?

Blessings
FatherG

Livesetup:
Korg K61/ Korg PADcontrol/ HP core duo 2 Notebook(XP)/ EMU 1616 PCMCIA/ Reaper (always newest)
FatherG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Options > Preferences > Audio > Buffering > the first option.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
FatherG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Options > Preferences > Audio > Buffering > the first option.
I have tried to check the box in "autodetect", and tried uncheck that, and then choosed "2" i number of audio reading/ processing threads.

It doesnīt help. When I hit the keys, and the VSTs gets alive, reaction is only shown in one of the cpu windows.

But thanks for the reply. Maybe itīs just the way it is. Itīs OK in any other use, recording and playback, VST and audio.

FatherG
FatherG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Dstruct

yeah monitoring-armed tracks disable render-ahead and pdc ...
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote