Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
StuhRAH
Human being with feelings

Default Item envelope action not the same as automation action?

I'm trying so when I click an items envelope it deselect the points, but isn't working as item envelopes don't seem to work the same as automation envelopes. I'm having trouble deselecting item envelope points without a workaround of using a shift+click action and adding a point and deleting it. Any ideas how to force reaper to treat the automation envelopes and the item envelopes with the same actions/modifiers?
StuhRAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
brynolf

You probably have to manually give them the same settings in Mouse modifiers
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
nofish

Not sure if it helps, but for unselection all points of an automation envelope I mainly use the 'draw a tiny empty rectangle trick' (with right-click drag).

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...51&postcount=9

This also works for item envelopes (the envelope needs to be 'in focus' for this though).

nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
StuhRAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Not sure if it helps, but for unselection all points of an automation envelope I mainly use the 'draw a tiny empty rectangle trick' (with right-click drag).

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...51&postcount=9

This also works for item envelopes (the envelope needs to be 'in focus' for this though).

Here's an example of me selecting points, clicking the envelope twice and it not deselecting the points, then using my mouse modifier to add a point, deleting it and thus deselecting the points:

And yet, this is my mouse modifier:
Old 07-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
StuhRAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynolf View Post
You probably have to manually give them the same settings in Mouse modifiers
Yeah, but where are the item envelope modifiers? As you can see in the second image I posted, I have this set up:
Old 07-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
StuhRAH

Is there a different section I'm missing for the envelope actions/modifiers related to items instead of lanes?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
StuhRAH

Any suggestions from the ReapMmunity?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
EvilDragon

There are no separate mouse modifier settings for item envelopes. They are all based of regular envelope modifiers, however since these are on an item, some areas of the item bleed through instead. Can't really have it both ways.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
StuhRAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There are no separate mouse modifier settings for item envelopes. They are all based of regular envelope modifiers, however since these are on an item, some areas of the item bleed through instead. Can't really have it both ways.
So, when I click on the envelope and it doesn't deselect the points as stipulated in my setup, what does it think it's doing instead?
Old 07-12-2017, 03:48 AM   #10
StuhRAH

Has anyone else manages to get this working?
Old 07-13-2017, 01:16 AM   #11
StuhRAH

Quote:
Which part would be "bleeding through" in this case?
Old 07-13-2017, 01:39 AM   #12
EvilDragon

Anything that is not the envelope line itself bleeds through to item context, I think - so in that case Envelope lane context doesn't apply for item envelopes, at all. Not 100% sure.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:22 AM   #13
StuhRAH

Quote:
Anything that is not the envelope line itself bleeds through to item context, I think - so in that case Envelope lane context doesn't apply for item envelopes, at all. Not 100% sure.
As you see in my example ( sorry the cursor is offset, licecap doesn't like hidpi) there's nothin else on the items besides a volume envelope, so does that mean that we kinda really do need seperate item envelope modifiers?
Old 07-15-2017, 04:48 AM   #14
Macc

Best I've found is 'Envelope: unselect all points'. I've set it to double click on envelope segment in the mouse mods, and to U on the keyboard. Does the job. Sometimes I want the envelope selection retained while doing something with the item, so it does.
Macc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #15
StuhRAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc View Post
Best I've found is 'Envelope: unselect all points'. I've set it to double click on envelope segment in the mouse mods, and to U on the keyboard. Does the job. Sometimes I want the envelope selection retained while doing something with the item, so it does.
Which settings are these? Can you show me a screenshot?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:34 AM   #16
StuhRAH

Okay, how about if I click ANYWHERE that isn't an envelope point with shift held, it deselects all points. That's all I really want.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 AM   #17
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuhRAH View Post
Which settings are these? Can you show me a screenshot?
Just search for that action in the Actions list, then bind that action to the keyboard letter of your choice. Easy. Also you can assign it to double-click in mouse modifiers, as Macc explained - choose Envelope segment context, and double click. Then you can assign that same action there.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #18
EvilDragon

Quote:
As you see in my example ( sorry the cursor is offset, licecap doesn't like hidpi) there's nothin else on the items besides a volume envelope, so does that mean that we kinda really do need seperate item envelope modifiers?
No, we don't, because the item can contain other things that can get in the way: fade in/out handles, stretch markers, for example. So no matter that those things aren't seen/used in your screenshot, that doesn't mean that area is not reserved to ensure proper functionality of those same things.

Item envelope really can only be influenced by mouse when you click directly on it - either a point or a segment. Outside of it is all reserved for item itself and other objects that can be on it, as mentioned above. I would take this as a fact and live with it.

What you could do, for example, is make a custom action that has these two in it:

Item: Select item under mouse cursor
Envelope: unselect all points

Then use that custom action as default action for Media item left click mouse modifier.

This way every time you click on the item itself you will have envelope points deselected.

What I actually use is this action:

SWS: Unselect all items/tracks/env points (depending on focus)

bound to Shift+A. Works just fine.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:00 AM   #19
StuhRAH

Quote:
No, we don't, because the item can contain other things that can get in the way: fade in/out handles, stretch markers, for example. So no matter that those things aren't seen/used in your screenshot, that doesn't mean that area is not reserved to ensure proper functionality of those same things.

Item envelope really can only be influenced by mouse when you click directly on it - either a point or a segment. Outside of it is all reserved for item itself and other objects that can be on it, as mentioned above. I would take this as a fact and live with it.

What you could do, for example, is make a custom action that has these two in it:

Then use that custom action as default action for Media item left click mouse modifier.

This way every time you click on the item itself you will have envelope points deselected.

Okay, I'm playing with the custom action script. Seems like that'll work, but is there no simple action for "if points become unfocused"? So, no matter when you click in reaper, if it isn't on an envelope point, all points will be deselected? That would be a much cleaner way of having all envelope points deselected without having to specify each and every mouse click to deactivate them (not that you can select a custom action for every mouse click type)
Old 07-18-2017, 03:06 AM   #20
StuhRAH

Quote:

This might have worked if deselect envelope points was an action, not a reset mouse modifier:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:07 AM   #21
EvilDragon

You're in the wrong context for mouse modifiers. You need to be at Item, not Track. You also used wrong actions in the custom action. I gave you the exact action names you need to use!

Quote:
Okay, I'm playing with the custom action script. Seems like that'll work, but is there no simple action for "if points become unfocused"? So, no matter when you click in reaper, if it isn't on an envelope point, all points will be deselected? That would be a much cleaner way of having all envelope points deselected without having to specify each and every mouse click to deactivate them (not that you can select a custom action for every mouse click type)
The actions I mentioned WILL always deselect envelope points whenever you click on an item. But only when you click on an item. It doesn't have to be a regular click, you can put it on Ctrl+click, or whatever else.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:10 AM   #22
StuhRAH

Quote:
You're in the wrong context for mouse modifiers. You need to be at Item, not Track. You also used wrong actions in the custom action. I gave you the exact action names you need to use!
This doesn't deselect item envelope points, as I've said:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 AM   #23
StuhRAH

Quote:
Yes, I can do this too:
but I still want to deselect the points when clicking outside of a media item.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:16 AM   #24
StuhRAH

This works, except it deselects the track too:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:20 AM   #25
StuhRAH

What I really need is this:

without the track being unselected.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:21 AM   #26
EvilDragon

Easy, use SWS actions to save/restore track selection. You can do the same with item selection. First use the save actions, before these ones, then add restore actions at the end.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:29 AM   #27
StuhRAH

Quote:
Easy, use SWS actions to save/restore track selection. You can do the same with item selection. First use the save actions, before these ones, then add restore actions at the end.
Okay, these seem to work! Not sure why it's still moving the edit cursor now, even though I took it out of both actions:

Old 07-18-2017, 03:41 AM   #28
StuhRAH

Quote:
Why does this move my edit cursor?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:12 AM   #29
EvilDragon

Some actions move it, some don't. SWS also has actions to save/restore edit cursor position, so use them!

You should also add save/restore item selection actions to that custom action.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:11 AM   #30
StuhRAH

Quote:
Some actions move it, some don't. SWS also has actions to save/restore edit cursor position, so use them!

You should also add save/restore item selection actions to that custom action.
I actually tried to use SWS save restore but it didnt seem to work.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #31
EvilDragon

Try SWS/BR variant of the action instead.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:16 AM   #32
StuhRAH

Quote:
Try SWS/BR variant of the action instead.
'fraid not:
Old 07-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #33
EvilDragon

Not much else there can be done there, then.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #34
StuhRAH

Quote:
Not much else there can be done there, then.
Why isn't it recalling the cursor position?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #35
planetnine

The SWS actions might have had their functionality broken by recent updates, though I didn't notice this last I used actions that relied on them.

You need the store actions right at the beginning of your script/ custom action and the recall/restore right at the end. It won't work if you can't "sandwich" the business part of the process with these action pairs. You might want to use a simple example to eliminate other factors first, or solicit help specifically on your scripts/actions. Don't forget there is an "undo edit cursor move" action, too...

>
Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #36
StuhRAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
The SWS actions might have had their functionality broken by recent updates, though I didn't notice this last I used actions that relied on them.

You need the store actions right at the beginning of your script/ custom action and the recall/restore right at the end. It won't work if you can't "sandwich" the business part of the process with these action pairs. You might want to use a simple example to eliminate other factors first, or solicit help specifically on your scripts/actions. Don't forget there is an "undo edit cursor move" action, too...

>
Thanks, I tried this and it didn't work, and undo was quite good, but caused a bit of a jitter and it did a double undo depending on if I clicked an item or not. Is this done wrong?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #37
StuhRAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post

>
Can you confirm you've been able to use save/load edit cursor position in an action with a mouse modifier?
Old 07-29-2017, 12:19 AM   #38
StuhRAH

Any other ideas how to stop the cursor position following the envelope point clicks? Is this an sws issue?