Old 08-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
Cyribro
Human being with feelings

Default 32 bit or 64?

Can anyone tell me if there is still a difference on which one to get? I have a 64 bit operating system, but I have been frequently downloading 32 bit Reaper because the bridge to use 32 bit plugins used to be a pain in the ass to setup.
Cyribro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:00 AM   #2
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyribro View Post
... because the bridge to use 32 bit plugins used to be a pain in the ass to setup.
I use Reaper 64 Bit on both Windows and OSX. I only use some free 32 bit VSTs on Windows, but they worked at once, no need to setup anything.

On OSX Reaper 64 Bit is a must for me, because my NI keyboard requires it. But on OSX I only use NI Komplete 10 so far, for sure in 64 bit

I would recommend trying 64 bit first.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:34 AM   #3
Firedance

Go 64. Not sure about the bridging previously having been a pain in the ass but it certainly isn't now - instant, automatic, seamless and 99% successful IME.
Firedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #4
godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedance View Post
Go 64. Not sure about the bridging previously having been a pain in the ass but it certainly isn't now - instant, automatic, seamless and 99% successful IME.
Are the 64b bridges ok in Reaper 5? That was mainly why I didn't switch yet.
godly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:11 AM   #5
Firedance

Well, so far - I haven't tested every plug but out of the 20 or so that I've used, no problem. I can't imagine that 5 will bring any change in the bridging system anyway.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:44 AM   #6
PatJ

The only annoying thing about bridging is the extra window that will pop up in your dock/taskbar. Other than that, it's always worked seamlessly for me on both v4 and, so far, v5. Out of curiosity, what plugins are you using in 32? Only really old stuff and freeware, in my experience, is still 32 bit only, so I just avoid using it.
PatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 AM   #7
godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJ View Post
The only annoying thing about bridging is the extra window that will pop up in your dock/taskbar. Other than that, it's always worked seamlessly for me on both v4 and, so far, v5. Out of curiosity, what plugins are you using in 32? Only really old stuff and freeware, in my experience, is still 32 bit only, so I just avoid using it.
Yes, that's my trouble also.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:57 AM   #8
Firedance

Well I use A LOT of freeware. If the only concern is the extra window...well, I just don't see it as an issue myself.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 AM   #9
godly

It's an issue because it doesn't allow to use the window snapshots.
I use Reaper as my live DAW and so my active plugins are shown when I switch a preset via the snapshots. (SWS)
Old 08-26-2015, 04:25 AM   #10
Firedance

OK, when you asked about the bridging I thought you were only concerned as to whether it worked well or not - which it does.

I can see that for live work/snapshots there would be window issues.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:36 AM   #11
kenz

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if there is still a difference on which one to get? I have a 64 bit operating system, but I have been frequently downloading 32 bit Reaper because the bridge to use 32 bit plugins used to be a pain in the ass to setup.
Although the bit bridge is pretty solid, what's exactly the reason to use 64-bit REAPER if 32-bit works fine? Did you use more than 2GB with Reaper at one point and it crashed? There's absolutely no other advantage to 64-bit reaper especially considering you have 32-bit plugs you want to use.

Stick to what works.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by godly View Post
You can embed them IIRC.

Quote:
You can install both as portable if you want.

Bridging is generally fine and little or no setup required, just be sure to keep 32 bit and 64 bit plugins in separate paths, then in the VST path in Reaper list the 64 bit path last. By default, 32 bit processes only get 2gb of virtual memory and more often that not any crashes related to not enough memory will occur before hitting the 2gb mark due to memory fragmentation. Might crash at 2gb might crash at 1.7gb, might crash at 1.92.

If you never, ever go above that, OK but I don't see the reason to place the ceiling there "just cuz" while also preventing you from ever crossing that line in the future.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #13
kenz

That's weird I thought they get 3GB on 64-bit OS, but rule of thumb is 2GB due to memory fragmentation. For sure I had some with slight above 2GB though.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
That's weird I thought they get 3GB on 64-bit OS, but rule of thumb is 2GB due to memory fragmentation. For sure I had some with slight above 2GB though.
Yea, you are right for a 64 bit system. VMMap is showing me 4gb which think is the correct number, but the app has to set the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag IIRC to get that which Reaper does. (Oops, just noticed this was the OSX sub forum )

I had an exhaustive thread here somewhere on 32/32 bit limits but it's primary focus so users could understand the limit when most were running 32 bit. Since that is usually an ugly, reaper taking a dirt nap crash it was to help people grasp what was actually happening when it occurred because they would become confused when Reaper showed 1.6 gb for example when it died.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-26-2015 at 07:12 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #15
joelsampson

Like others mentioned, I run 64-bit REAPER on both Windows 10 and Mac OS 10.10. The few 32-bit plugins I still use bridge perfect in Reaper, unlike some other DAW's. I also use mostly free plugins, but have been able to replace most with 64-bit versions (especially for Windows).
Old 01-30-2016, 03:18 AM   #16
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedance View Post
In Windows perhaps, but in OSX the bridged plugins can't be embedded, so:
- spacebar doesn't work as play/stop
- selecting plugins in track FX window for moving or removal loses focus
- any of the bridged plugins or empty windows can't be closed with a keyboard shortcut
- sometimes the plugin window or empty windows can't be closed at all
- the plugin or empty windows sometimes leave white blocks behind
- sometimes some UI-less plugins try to open the UI every time they are selected

Instant and automatic? Yes. But seamless? Not for me, by a long shot. I'll stay with 32bit Reaper until embedding or atleast keyboard shortcuts work.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:15 AM   #17
_TIP_

Quote:
Originally Posted by godly View Post
Guys, as karbomusic mentioned above you can embedded the bridged plugins GUI, just right click on the plugin before you load it, then go to Run as and check embed bridged UI..

_TIP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #18
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TIP_ View Post
Guys, as karbomusic mentioned above you can embedded the bridged plugins GUI, just right click on the plugin before you load it, then go to Run as and check embed bridged UI.
TIP, this is the OSX Forum. Embedding plugins is not implemented in Reaper for OSX.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #19
_TIP_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
TIP, this is the OSX Forum. Embedding plugins is not implemented in Reaper for OSX.
Oops, sorry guys I'm on windows and I didn't know that...
_TIP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #20
Cyribro

Default Sorry for the bump

All good bruv, I use Reaper on both platforms depending on where I am and which laptop I have. When it comes to DJing I use my Mac and when I'm gaming I use my PC, however because I'e been recording game play and voice-overs, I end up using either platform.
Cyribro is offline   Reply With Quote