Old 06-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #1
jacko_shi
Human being with feelings

Default 6.12C lost VST/VSTi

Hi there,

right after instaling the 6.12c version, I seem to have lost a lot of VSt that where running well yesterday.

They are all present in the path regitrered in the prefs
They all seem to be x86.

Does someone else experiment this problem ?

My setup:
Lenovo S30
W10
Motu 1248

ex with 2 songs that where running smoothly before the 6.12c install
(the * means I've check that the .dll is indeed in the VST folder)

The following effects were in the project file and are not available. REAPER will keep their configurations, but things may not sound as desired.

* Track 8: VSTi: Quilcom Transformer (x86) (Rex Basterfield)
* Track 16: VSTi: STS-26 Pro (x86) (HGFortunex2)
* Track 17: VSTi: ProtoPlasm (x86) (HGFortunex2)
* Track 18: VSTi: TAL NoiseMaker Plugin (x86) (TAL-Togu Audio Line)
Track 20: VSTi: RIP (x86) (Ian Webster)
* Track 21: VSTi: LaserBladeS (x86) (HGFortunex2)
* Track 22: VSTi: LaserBladeS (x86) (HGFortunex2)
Track 23: VSTi: PHASM² (x86) (eric langou)

The following effects were in the project file and are not available. REAPER will keep their configurations, but things may not sound as desired.
Master: VST: endorphin compressor (x86) (digitalfishphones)
* Track 1: VSTi: Altair 4 Pro (x86) (HGFortunex2)
* Track 2: VSTi: Melodikon (x86) (Jameson Beaver) (mono)
* Track 3: VSTi: Serenity (x86) (HGFortunex2)
* Track 4: VSTi: Super Spook Keys (x86) (Saul Cross)
* Track 5: VST: Mobilohm (x86) (Ohm Force)

Last edited by jacko_shi; 06-25-2020 at 02:17 AM.
jacko_shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
Ryanillsley

Default RE:6.12C lost VST/VSTi

Yep! Ive been trying to figure out what the heck happened.Ill be following this thread.

Its frustrating because Reaper puts out a lot of updates and this is probably the 3rd time someonething stops working/breaks after.
Ryanillsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Is it possible that the "x86/x64 VST/REX/ReWire bridging" option in the installer got unchecked when you installed last?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #4
SoundGuyDave

Hi, Justin!

I'll add my name to the list here... 6.12c was running flawlessly until I booted it today, then "all of a sudden" I'm having issues with VSTi either failing to load properly (Plug-in is in the list, and I can add/delete it at will, but get the message "Cannot find any instruments" in the plug-in window) or simply has disappeared from the VSTi list(most notably my Korg M1). Note that the stand-alone version of the M1 loads just fine. I checked my VST paths in preferences, and nothing has appeared to change, and i just re-installed reaper from a chached version and am getting the same behaviour. I also flushed and re-scanned the VST cache.

To stress, this is not a NEW installation, I updated when it came out, but there was a change in behaviour over the course of today. During the installation, I looked for and couldn't find the option box you mentioned.

Win10 pro (64)
i7 8700K, 32GB RAM, SSDs, etc.
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:16 AM   #5
jacko_shi

Hello,
I feel less lonely today, thank you Justin, and sorry for you too, Dave and Ryan.
It was Un update for me too.
Is there a way to check this bridging in the preferences or elsewhere?
Regards

Last edited by jacko_shi; 06-25-2020 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:34 AM   #6
jacko_shi

OK,

in preferences/plug-ins/Compatibility

I see VST bridging is not installed. (Bravo Justin!!!)

Is ther a way to add it, or should i uninstall then re install Reaper ?
Old 06-25-2020, 05:09 AM   #7
SoundGuyDave

Interesting. Mine says "Automatic bridging (when required)"
Old 06-25-2020, 06:23 AM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko_shi View Post
Is ther a way to add it, or should i uninstall then re install Reaper ?
You don't need to reinstall anything. Just download this version again and install it to the same path checking bridging.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #9
SoundGuyDave

what's killing me here is that:

1) I can SEE the missing VSTs in a specified path, but they don't show up on the "add plug in" list. Yes, I re-scanned, yes, I cleared the cache too.

2) There are a bunch of plug-ins that DO show up in the list that I can load, but won't function: "Cannot find any instruments." is all that shows up after I load.

I've done the usual tricks, like re-updating Reaper, to no effect. As mentioned, I have "Automatic bridging (when required)" selected in the VST compatibility tab.

I'm sure there is, but i can't see rhyme nor reason why certain plug-ins won't show up and others will, and why some do function and others don't. All my Big Cat plugs load but don't work, but Ample loads and works fine, either bridged (x86) or native. The Korg M1 stand-alone works perfectly, but the VST shows up in the directory, but not in the 'add VST" list.

I've got four paid projects in the pipeline right now, with deadlines looming, and I seriously don't need this kind of drama right now!
Old 06-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
SoundGuyDave

NM...

Last edited by SoundGuyDave; 06-25-2020 at 08:08 AM. Reason: double post
Old 06-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #11
Ryanillsley

Ok sooo the issue is fixed for me. I re-downloaded Reaper and checked the box "Optional Functionality". Why I have to check that now after this long is beyond me.

I then Cleared the VST cache and scanned. Now I am seeing the missing VSTs.

Not going to lie though, I downloaded a Studio One trial cause I thought I was going to have to switch lol.
Ryanillsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
SoundGuyDave

Man, i'm starting to worry that i have a "unique" issue... I gave the "optional functionality" thing a try, and no joy. It may be easier to learn a new DAW than to learn some complex orchestral VSTi, at least to get some of these projects off my desktop.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:13 AM   #13
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave View Post
what's killing me here is that:

1) I can SEE the missing VSTs in a specified path,
Do you mean you see the dll file in a file browser ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:08 AM   #14
SoundGuyDave

Yes, exactly. I can see the .DLL file in a file browser. I have three paths in the VST paths list, and each of the "missing" .DLLs is in one of them.

I'm not going to say this is Reaper's fault, but this is something that I really need to suss out...
Old 06-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #15
jacko_shi

Well,

the reinstall with checking of the right options did the job for me.

Thank you guys.

Dave, I'm sorry that it is not working for you.

When I was looking for a solution, I red this:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....tplugins64.ini

A bunch of people are experiencing problems with desapearing VST

and especialy post #52

"Originally Posted by rforssell View Post
The thing that solved my issues was to uninstall Reaper, then delete the AppData\Reaper folder and then reinstall Reaper. After adding the paths, the plugs turned up again.
Most excellent advice. After trying EVERYTHING the other posters suggested, in this and other threads- your method was the one that worked for me, too. Thanks! "

Hope it can help

Last edited by jacko_shi; 06-26-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #16
SoundGuyDave

Thanks, Jacko, MUCH appreciated!! If I uninstall and delete, that will wind up wiping my custom hotkeys, themes, piug-in chains, preferences, etc., right? Do you (or anybody) know how to back that stuff up before essentially wiping the drive?

Although, to be honest, I think there's something else in play here. In a fit of desperation to keep working, I downloaded a trial versiion of a "competing DAW," and had some of the exact same problems, notably the "Cannot find any instruments." error message on loading the VSTi.

And, to add insult to injury, now the XLN Audio stuff is starting to act up; on loading either Addictive Drums or Addictive Trigger, I get an error message about binaries being in the wrong place. I'm wondering if Win-blows 10 Pro is the real culprit here. I swear, AD2 and AT were working fine yesterday and before, so what gives?

Where is the "proper" location for VST2, VST3, VST2i and VST3i DLL's? I'll just manually move everything to where it's "supposed" to go and see if that works!! IIRC, outside of the XLN and Korg stuff, there aren't any installers needed for the other plugs in question. The Waves and FabFilter stuff seems to work just fine, so...
Old 06-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #17
SoundGuyDave

A quick update... Looking for tech on the plugs in question, i'm running into comments all over the web about this kind of thing happening, so I have a feeling that Windows borked something...
Old 06-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #18
SoundGuyDave

Made some progress!! Even after moving some of the .DLLs to EVERY path in the preferences menu, some were still failing to load, so I made a "master" effects and instrument folder and pointed the preferences path there as well and at the moment it looks like they all popped into place. Enough that I can get back to work, anyway!!

Thanks to everybody that chimed in on this!!! You guys are life-savers!
Old 06-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #19
mschnell

Quote:
I made a "master" effects and instrument folder and pointed the preferences path there as well and at the moment it looks like they all popped into place.
If this in fact would have been provoked by Reaper it would be a crazy bug.
-Michael
Old 06-27-2020, 06:16 AM   #20
SoundGuyDave

Agreed. I don't think it's a Reaper thing, too many people have been having this issue (and I'm assuming) on different platforms. I had to re-run the XLN installer for Addictive Drums and Addictive Trigger, to move the "binary" from C/program files/Steinburg/VST to C/program files/VST at the same time to get that to work, and up to this point both had been working flawlessly since the initial installs a year or so ago. So what prompted the sudden need to change directories? I have no idea, and no interest in assigning blame, but curiosity is there... I would suspect a Windows update, as that's an easy target!
Old 06-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #21
Hex Enductor

Thanks everyone, been following this thread....what is really weird now for me is, my Reaper will not clear cache. It just scans a few things, and keeps getting hung up on reacomp. Then it just stops, and never continues clearing cache/rescan. It is over in several seconds, when before it could take a half hour possibly.

Win 10, Reaper 6.11, then tried updating to 6.12c, then back down to 6.11---no luck.

Have no idea how to get the clear cache command back?!?

Last edited by Hex Enductor; 06-27-2020 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Hex Enductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #22
Hex Enductor

Also, should mention that yesterday I had updated all my Arturia V Collection with their new update, and then a little later on I had updated Windows 10 to the new version 2004 update, and then updated from Reaper 6.11 to 6.12c and back again, so a lot of updates in a short period of time maybe scrambled something?
Old 06-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #23
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex Enductor View Post
Thanks everyone, been following this thread....what is really weird now for me is, my Reaper will not clear cache. It just scans a few things, and keeps getting hung up on reacomp. Then it just stops, and never continues clearing cache/rescan. It is over in several seconds, when before it could take a half hour possibly.

Win 10, Reaper 6.11, then tried updating to 6.12c, then back down to 6.11---no luck.

Have no idea how to get the clear cache command back?!?
Can you itemise step by step exactly HOW you are trying to clear cache/re-scan?

The normal way to do this is simply go to options/prefs/plugins/vst and click on the clear cache/rescan button rather than the plain rescan one. There is no clear cache button without Rescan, unless you have a strange mutant version of Reaper.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #24
Hex Enductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Can you itemise step by step exactly HOW you are trying to clear cache/re-scan?

The normal way to do this is simply go to options/prefs/plugins/vst and click on the clear cache/rescan button rather than the plain rescan one. There is no clear cache button without Rescan, unless you have a strange mutant version of Reaper.

Hi, thanks for reaching out.

Yes, I was trying with the clear cache/rescan button. After sending these posts of mine last night to the forum here, I was looking around again and trying to figure it out. What I noticed was: Reaper itself was only scanning a few plugins, that's why it was getting done so quickly. What made me notice was when I was looking at my list of plugins, I just randomly started to look at "developers", and sure enough, each developer was listed, but the vast majority showed nothing inside the folder. Thats when my heart sank.

I was thinking it was getting stuck on the reacomp, and quitting. It never occurred to me that my vst plugin paths were wiped out and gone. So, Reaper was scanning correctly what it could find, but all of my plugins were not showing in plugin paths anymore( I had probably 20 or more paths listed, there were only 2 showing in the box after all the updates).

I would have to guess I had some kind of issue with the big Windows update that I also did previous to all this, as it took a while to do, and I didn't realize it was going to be a major one. I see some users have had no issues online, but I do see that others had issues. Is it possible to you that could be what caused it? I am still a noob. I had never seen my plugin paths just get jettisoned like this. It is very annoying. And if Windows did it, how/why could my reaper be affected?

At least I do have all my plugin paths written down, so it will be a matter of just adding them back into Reaper, I hope.

Otherwise, I am thinking very hard now about dodging as many updates from as many companies as I can, lol.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #25
SoundGuyDave

Hex,

I haven't gotten to the bottom of WHY it happened yet either, but you may want to condense your VST directory paths just to make it easier on yourself if you ever have to do this again...

I made a folder on my data drive that has ALL of the downloaded "non-installer" VST files in it, and I was able to just point Reaper to that folder and goodness ensued. For the other stuff, you might have to re-run the installer. I did for XLN, but not for Waves, fortunately...
Old 06-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #26
138BPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko_shi View Post
Right after installing the 6.12c version, I seem to have lost a lot of VST that where running well yesterday.
Don't do this but... did you click "Auto-detect" in the VST settings at any point?

I did this on a previous version (6.05 I think) and it just blanked out my paths, I had to add them all in again (on three drives in all random places, not fun).

I thought maybe if you've just done a new install, it might be instinct to click Auto-detect... but that button is pure evil, I wouldn't wish it getting pressed on my worst enemy.

Even if Auto-detect did work, it still kinda doesn't because it thinks any DLL file is a VST, so if you ran it on something like the root of a hard drive, you'd get (possibly) thousands of error boxes to click with it loading anything and everything.

I've been running the updated 6.12c and have not had to point Reaper anywhere (after copying my paths to the box under VST).
138BPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #27
Hex Enductor

Quote:
Hex,

I haven't gotten to the bottom of WHY it happened yet either, but you may want to condense your VST directory paths just to make it easier on yourself if you ever have to do this again...

I made a folder on my data drive that has ALL of the downloaded "non-installer" VST files in it, and I was able to just point Reaper to that folder and goodness ensued. For the other stuff, you might have to re-run the installer. I did for XLN, but not for Waves, fortunately...
Yep, SoundGuy----awesome and wise advice. I seem to have already fallen into "new guy/bad habits" in the way I let things get installed. Gotta get better organised for sure!
Old 06-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #28
Hex Enductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138BPM View Post
Don't do this but... did you click "Auto-detect" in the VST settings at any point?

I did this on a previous version (6.05 I think) and it just blanked out my paths, I had to add them all in again (on three drives in all random places, not fun).

I thought maybe if you've just done a new install, it might be instinct to click Auto-detect... but that button is pure evil, I wouldn't wish it getting pressed on my worst enemy.

Even if Auto-detect did work, it still kinda doesn't because it thinks any DLL file is a VST, so if you ran it on something like the root of a hard drive, you'd get (possibly) thousands of error boxes to click with it loading anything and everything.

I've been running the updated 6.12c and have not had to point Reaper anywhere (after copying my paths to the box under VST).

Thanks for that info 138! Any stuff like that for noobs like me is great to hear/know.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #29
SoundGuyDave

Default And the paths are gone again...

Just a further update: I lost my custom paths again, as well as (I think) at least one of the "normal" path addresses...
Just as a refresher, this is a Win10 Pro 64-bit OS, high-spec hardware, etc...

I don't honestly know WHEN it happened, but After the XLN installer had to move the destination path, and I made a custom directory path for the "non-installer" VSTs and VSTi files, all appeared to be working.

No further Winblows updates (to my knowledge), just the normal shut-it-down-then-boot-fresh-tomorrow workflow; and again a bunch of the VSTs are "missing."

Know that we know this is a path error, I immediately went to Preferences/Plug-ins/VST, and yes, the one(s) that I had added previously are gone again. I did NOT hit "Auto Detect" or "Clear Cache," but I was left with just three paths in the search list: C: Prog Files (x86)/VSTPlugins; C: Prog Files/VSTPlugins; and C: Prog files/VSTPlugins. Nothing more.

So, I guess the next question is why the search path list is being reset... Is this a Reaper thing, a 6.12C thing, a Windows thing, or something else entirely?
Old 07-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #30
mschnell

A colleague of mine recently got hit by a very queer Windows 10 filename uppercase/lowercase bug.

-Michael