Old 04-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
amoretam
Human being with feelings

Default Rewire not showing

Hello there,
I use reaper portable install on my laptop to have everything in one place.

The thing is that I want to use ableton as a rewire slave but no rewire plugin is showing in FX's.

I have all preferences checked and I see a "reaper-rewire.ini" file in the main folder not no rewire.dll in Plugins folder.

Should I download rewire.dll from somewhere?

Thanks a lot
amoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
LugNut

Hi,

No.
Portable install doesn't install rewire. If you can, reinstall the same version on top of your portable and deselect portable install. But with caution..

It happened to me, and I had a normal install and a portable. I needed rewire so I reinstalled over my portable and selected rewire during that process and ended up with a corrupt reaper.INI.

Which makes sense and is not that big a deal, but now I keep my portable install w/o rewire and use it just for testing. If all is cool with the test, I then put the version I'm testing in my normal install.

I know it sounds confusing and someone may be able to explain it better:-) but its the truth.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,

No.
Portable install doesn't install rewire. If you can, reinstall the same version on top of your portable and deselect portable install. But with caution..

It happened to me, and I had a normal install and a portable. I needed rewire so I reinstalled over my portable and selected rewire during that process and ended up with a corrupt reaper.INI.

Which makes sense and is not that big a deal, but now I keep my portable install w/o rewire and use it just for testing. If all is cool with the test, I then put the version I'm testing in my normal install.

I know it sounds confusing and someone may be able to explain it better:-) but its the truth.
Thanks for replying,
but I do not understand, This portable install is my main and only Reaper configuration. By installing Reaper on top, i don't want to lose this configuration or get files replaced.

Is that going to do that?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
but I do not understand, This portable install is my main and only Reaper configuration. By installing Reaper on top, i don't want to lose this configuration or get files replaced.
Is that going to do that?
In general, you shouldn't loose any of your existing configs when installing directly over an existing install (it's basically the same procedure as doing an update by installing a newer version on top of a previous version)

But just to be on the safe side:
  1. Make a copy of your current portable Reaper install folder to a different location, first (so you have it as a backup)
  2. Then do a 'normal' install directly over of your (original) portable install location and check the Rewire option under 'Optional functionality' in the 'Choose Components' page of the installer **
This way you have a backup of your current portable install (saved in step 1) to go back to, in case you might encounter any issues with the other portable install (after step 2).

It's also shown here from 3:13 to 4:32. The rest of this part from 4:32 - 14:05 (until the Install button is pressed) is mainly an explanation of the options itself: https://youtu.be/utnzO1gn1nU?t=193
Although the example in the video uses a 4.x version of Reaper, the procedure is still the same for 5.x and 6.x versions.

--------------

Another option is to make a 'normal' install into a different folder (so you have a 'normal' and your existing portable install side-by-side in separate folders).

In any case, it's always a good strategy to make a copy/backup of your current portable install folder first, just in case..

----------------

** In case you need an installer of an older version (to install the exact same version in step 2 over your current portable install): As example: installing 6.07 normal over 6.07 portable. Or installing 5.99 normal over 5.99 portable.

Last edited by solger; 04-19-2020 at 01:23 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In general, you shouldn't loose any of your existing configs when installing directly over an existing install (it's basically the same procedure as doing an update by installing a newer version on top of a previous version)

But just to be on the safe side:
  1. Make a copy of your current portable Reaper install folder to a different location, first (so you have it as a backup)
  2. Then do a 'normal' install directly over of your (original) portable install location and check the Rewire option under 'Optional functionality' in the 'Choose Components' page of the installer **
This way you have a backup of your current portable install (saved in step 1) to go back to, in case you might encounter any issues with the other portable install (after step 2).

It's also shown here from 3:13 to 4:32. The rest of this part from 4:32 - 14:05 (until the Install button is pressed) is mainly an explanation of the options itself: https://youtu.be/utnzO1gn1nU?t=193
Although the example in the video uses a 4.x version of Reaper, the procedure is still the same for 5.x and 6.x versions.

--------------

Another option is to make a 'normal' install into a different folder (so you have a 'normal' and your existing portable install side-by-side in separate folders).

In any case, it's always a good strategy to make a copy/backup of your current portable install folder first, just in case..

----------------

** In case you need an installer of an older version (to install the exact same version in step 2 over your current portable install): As example: installing 6.07 normal over 6.07 portable. Or installing 5.99 normal over 5.99 portable.
Hi there, thanks for this explanation.
I did the whole thing but still no rewire shows.

instead, the size of my portable install is like a 100 mb's bigger,

Thanks a lot
Old 04-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
LugNut

Hi,
OK.
When you reinstall over the top of your current install, there is a window showing what will be installed. Under additional functionality, open that branch and select rewire. Continue with install.
Is there a particular reason your checking portable in the first place? I mean besides..everything in one place?
Old 04-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #7
amoretam

Quote:
Hi,
OK.
When you reinstall over the top of your current install, there is a window showing what will be installed. Under additional functionality, open that branch and select rewire. Continue with install.
Is there a particular reason your checking portable in the first place? I mean besides..everything in one place?
Hello, yes I checked rewire under additional functionality.

I love having everything in one place and under a dropbox synch folder.
Any changes I make is inmediately backed up.

It is the only installation I use so it makes it easier for me to manage my settings.

I wonder what is mising here, this rewire stuff is making lose time.
Also, why is the "normal" installation adding 100 mb's more of size, I don't want my portable install to be bigger, or that big!

Isn't there a simply rewire.dll I could just paste in Reaper plugins folder?

Thanks a lot
Old 04-20-2020, 05:07 AM   #8
Randolph

Quote:
Hello there,
I use reaper portable install on my laptop to have everything in one place.

The thing is that I want to use ableton as a rewire slave but no rewire plugin is showing in FX's.

I have all preferences checked and I see a "reaper-rewire.ini" file in the main folder not no rewire.dll in Plugins folder.

Should I download rewire.dll from somewhere?

Thanks a lot

Just install full version of reaper in another folder.

Then no worry of anything getting corrupt.
Just a thought you could consider.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:31 AM   #9
solger

I forgot to mention in my previous post: you might have to do a computer restart afterwards for the changes to take effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam
Isn't there a simply rewire.dll I could just paste in Reaper plugins folder?
As far as I know, the main reason why the install option is only available in a normal install, is that the .dll file needs to be installed to a system folder (which might also include updating some registry entries).

For example, on Windows 64-bit, the default location for the ReWire.dll is:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Propellerhead Software\ReWire\
Otherwise, you might perhaps try if using the installer from here makes any difference: https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/updates_rewire/

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam
The thing is that I want to use ableton as a rewire slave ...
In case you don't know this article yet: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/ar...er-DAWs#reaper

---------------

Quote:
Also, why is the "normal" installation adding 100 mb's more of size, I don't want my portable install to be bigger, or that big!
On Windows, the 'normal' install adds an InstallData folder: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...97&postcount=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
On Windows, you will see that the installer creates, in your Program Files\REAPER directory, a new folder called "InstallData". This contains data that will automatically be installed (by REAPER) to your AppData\REAPER directory (listed above). The installer might also create some _user folders in the "InstallData" path, so that your existing customizations can be preserved separately.
Since the InstallData folder will be created again the next time a normal Reaper install/update is done, there should be no problem to delete this folder (or to move it to a different location, if you want to keep it as a backup, just in case).

Last edited by solger; 04-20-2020 at 06:49 AM. Reason: merged two posts into one
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #10
amoretam

Quote:
Hi,
OK.
Hello, this is a real mess, now I have a bunch of files named "conflicted copy 2020-04-19).ini" ..

Now I want to go back to normal and forget about rewire, I give up
Old 04-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
LugNut

Hi,
Me too.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #12
amoretam

Quote:
Hi,
Me too.
ajajajajaj
awesome brother!
Old 07-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #13
amoretam

Default Rewire come back

Hello people,
So definetely there is no way to use Reason as a Rewire in Reaper? Anybody can give me some hints?

Thanks