Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-03-2020, 03:11 AM   #1
kgbeat
Human being with feelings

Default SORRY...PLUGINS NOT SHOWING AGAIN!

After 12 months of almost trouble free VST downloads showing without a problem, I've now got two which I've purchased and cannot get Reaper to see.

Purchased and downloaded yesterday these are Brainworkx plugins from Plugin Alliance and are in both VST and VST3 format, I can see the .dll files of both sitting in the correct folders but they are just not showing in Reaper. The odd thing is that there are quite a lot of BX plugins also listed there as .dll files which I have never purchased! Why are those there?

I have run the 'clear cache/re-scan' option but still nothing.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated...

Last edited by kgbeat; 07-03-2020 at 03:18 AM.
kgbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:55 AM   #2
kgbeat

Default SORRY - PLUGINS NOT SHOWING AGAIN!

After 12 months of generally trouble free download and installing of plugins, yesterday I purchased two Brainworkx plugins from Plugin Alliance and cannot get Reaper to see them (along with several freebies that came with them).

They are in both VST & VST3 format and I can see the .dll files sitting in the correct folder. I have run the 'clear cache/re-scan' option but they just are not showing.

The only 'change' to my system is a new Audio Device.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:55 AM   #3
DarkStar

Are they 64-bit or 32-bit?
Are you using Reaper 64-bit or 32-bit?
Old 07-03-2020, 06:10 AM   #4
Coachz

not sure but the title is yelling at us with all caps and ! Why not take the time to tell us what version you are using, what OS and all of the steps you have tried.

This might be worth a read

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=32495
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
kgbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Are they 64-bit or 32-bit?
Are you using Reaper 64-bit or 32-bit?
My system is Windows 10 / 64-bit and I am using the latest 64-bit version of Reaper and the plugins point to 64 bit on download so I assume they will be too. I have downloaded VST2 and VST3 versions of the plugin.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbeat View Post
My system is Windows 10 / 64-bit and I am using the latest 64-bit version of Reaper and the plugins point to 64 bit on download so I assume they will be too. I have downloaded VST2 and VST3 versions of the plugin.
Did the thread I posted yield any other ideas?
Old 07-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
kgbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
not sure but the title is yelling at us with all caps and ! Why not take the time to tell us what version you are using, what OS and all of the steps you have tried.

This might be worth a read

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=32495
Wasn't shouting actually Coachz - caps were simply for visual clarity and 'sorry' and 'again' was because I know it seems to be a fairly regular subject to come up. I had trawled the forum for previous answers but couldn't find anything that helped me really. I checked your link but again there's lots of issues but no clear answers and some of the computer stuff gets a bit complicated for me. However I might try the 'test' directory if no other answers help.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
Coachz

Quote:
Wasn't shouting actually Coachz - caps were simply for visual clarity and 'sorry' and 'again' was because I know it seems to be a fairly regular subject to come up. I had trawled the forum for previous answers but couldn't find anything that helped me really. I checked your link but again there's lots of issues but no clear answers and some of the computer stuff gets a bit complicated for me. However I might try the 'test' directory if no other answers help.
What if you take the directory that has your 64-bit plugins you having a problem with and rename the directory, create an empty directory with the same name and then rescan everything. delete the directory and rename your original back and rescan again. Just grasping at straws here
Old 07-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
kgbeat

Quote:
What if you take the directory that has your 64-bit plugins you having a problem with and rename the directory, create an empty directory with the same name and then rescan everything. delete the directory and rename your original back and rescan again. Just grasping at straws here
It is really weird because I have bought another cheapy plugin as a test and it has gone in straight away with no problem! I'll try the directory rename tomorrow!
Old 07-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
Coachz

Is blacklisting a thing in Reaper?

https://forum.cockos.com/archive/index.php/t-68935.html

https://forum.cockos.com/archive/ind.../t-207212.html
Old 07-04-2020, 02:35 AM   #11
kgbeat

Quote:
Even if there is, it should not effect these because Reaper appears not even to have seen them yet - they've never been used.

I tried creating a new directory etc but didn't work.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #12
ivansc

Mutual misunderstanding here guys. Blacklisting is what "we" always used to call the way Reaper puts plugins that misbehave (either on install or later due to some problem between reaper & the plug) on what was referred to as a blacklist. In fact what happens is that Reaper modifies the plugin .ini file to hide the misbehaving plugins, but of course if you have clear\rescanned the VST locations list, that resets all plpugins to zero and reads them all again. So the missing ones should have showed up again IF that were the cause. Doesnt look like it is, since OP says he already did a clear\rescan.

Back to basics time I think. Go back and re-download the plugins that you cant find. When you install them, make a careful note of where the installer says it is installing them. Once they are installed, go to the folder where they are supposed to be and make sure they are there. THEN run Reaper. In most cases this should sort things out without you even needing to do a clear/rescan & reboot, but try it and see what happens. It could be as simple s something went wrong on the initial install or even the download!

Ha Ha! I just checked my computer & I dumped all the brainworx plugins & just kept the Lindell ones I bought, oh plus the Novell Character. Sorry for getting your hopes up. Getting crazier by the minute! ALL the Plugin Alliance plugs I have install themselves in C:\ Program Files\Plugin Alliance\ and there is also a Plugin Alliance folder in the main C:\Program Files directory where things like documentation and data are located. Have a look through your C:\Program Files and your C:\Program Files (x86) and see what is in there.

One other thing - which of the Brainworx plugs are the ones that are not appearing? EDIT: Also, which are the ones you DIDNT buy but are showing? I have seven or eight BX plugins so hopefully I can figure out what is going on for you.

Last edited by ivansc; 07-04-2020 at 11:37 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #13
kgbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Mutual misunderstanding here guys. Blacklisting is what "we" always used to call the way Reaper puts plugins that misbehave (either on install or later due to some problem between reaper & the plug) on what was referred to as a blacklist. In fact what happens is that Reaper modifies the plugin .ini file to hide the misbehaving plugins, but of course if you have clear\rescanned the VST locations list, that resets all plpugins to zero and reads them all again. So the missing ones should have showed up again IF that were the cause. Doesnt look like it is, since OP says he already did a clear\rescan.

Back to basics time I think. Go back and re-download the plugins that you cant find. When you install them, make a careful note of where the installer says it is installing them. Once they are installed, go to the folder where they are supposed to be and make sure they are there. THEN run Reaper. In most cases this should sort things out without you even needing to do a clear/rescan & reboot, but try it and see what happens. It could be as simple s something went wrong on the initial install or even the download!

Ha Ha! I just checked my computer & I dumped all the brainworx plugins & just kept the Lindell ones I bought, oh plus the Novell Character. Sorry for getting your hopes up. Getting crazier by the minute! ALL the Plugin Alliance plugs I have install themselves in C:\ Program Files\Plugin Alliance\ and there is also a Plugin Alliance folder in the main C:\Program Files directory where things like documentation and data are located. Have a look through your C:\Program Files and your C:\Program Files (x86) and see what is in there.

One other thing - which of the Brainworx plugs are the ones that are not appearing? EDIT: Also, which are the ones you DIDNT buy but are showing? I have seven or eight BX plugins so hopefully I can figure out what is going on for you.
Thanks for that. I saw that all the bx .dll files were duplicated and so decided to delete them all including the installer and start again. Did that no problem - re installed all the plugins via installer but now .dll files can not to be found! Then I got attached message and so cannot open Reaper despite re install. So computer man coming tomorrow hopefully to sort that issue. Will return to this when I can get back into Reaper!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new error 3.jpg (38.2 KB, 103 views)
Old 07-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #14
Coachz

Quote:
Thanks for that. I saw that all the bx .dll files were duplicated and so decided to delete them all including the installer and start again. Did that no problem - re installed all the plugins via installer but now .dll files can not to be found! Then I got attached message and so cannot open Reaper despite re install. So computer man coming tomorrow hopefully to sort that issue. Will return to this when I can get back into Reaper!
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-68b599b31bf5

Method 1:
You may perform a SFC scan and check. To Perform a SFC Scan -

a. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'. Be patient because the scan may take some time.
c. If any files require a replace SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Win7 DVD for this process to continue.
d. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".
e. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.

Check the below mentioned link for further guidance on SFC scan -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2:
You may check if re-registering the .dll file assists you resolve the issue -

a. Click on Start and then click on Run.
b. Now you can type the below command -
“Regsvr32 osbaseln.dll”

c. Once the command is input into the Run field correctly, press Enter.
d. Once the DLL has been registered, you should receive a confirmation in the form of a pop up box. This message will list your newly registered DLL file and confirm that is was successfully registered into the registry.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #15
kgbeat

Quote:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-68b599b31bf5

Method 1:
You may perform a SFC scan and check. To Perform a SFC Scan -

a. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'. Be patient because the scan may take some time.
c. If any files require a replace SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Win7 DVD for this process to continue.
d. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".
e. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.

Check the below mentioned link for further guidance on SFC scan -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2:
You may check if re-registering the .dll file assists you resolve the issue -

a. Click on Start and then click on Run.
b. Now you can type the below command -
“Regsvr32 osbaseln.dll”

c. Once the command is input into the Run field correctly, press Enter.
d. Once the DLL has been registered, you should receive a confirmation in the form of a pop up box. This message will list your newly registered DLL file and confirm that is was successfully registered into the registry.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much Coachz - I appreciate it - I'll report back tomorrow!
Old 07-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #16
kgbeat

Quote:
Thank you very much Coachz - I appreciate it - I'll report back tomorrow!
So there is good news/bad news! I tried option 2 first but it said it didn't recognise /couldn't find “Regsvr32 osbaseln.dll”. (with and without quotes or space).

My ageing musician's brain didn't like the look of your option 1... and so I got computer man on the case.

There appeared to be no easy answer to that error message and so he has installed the latest version of windows, uninstalled and re installed Reaper and (the good news) all appears to be well. Weirdly, while the two new plugins which Reaper couldn't see, it now sees ok, The bad news is that on opening existing project, there is a long list of VST plugins that it is not seeing now. The message says that it will replace them with VST3 versions, but of course there are not VST3 versions for everything.

So thanks for your help on all this, I will now investigate the missing plugins and see if I can re install.

The other issue is that Reaper is now asking my for my reference number/key - do you know where I can find this?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #17
Coachz

If you don't have a backup of your registration number in your email or in a directory that you saved it in, give them an email requesting it.

support@cockos.com

Regarding your missing VSTs from projects, did you reinstall them ? Is the path set in prefs ? Are the missing when you go to add fx ?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #18
kgbeat

Quote:
If you don't have a backup of your registration number in your email or in a directory that you saved it in, give them an email requesting it.

Got the license info from them now thank you.

support@cockos.com

Regarding your missing VSTs from projects, did you reinstall them ? Is the path set in prefs ? Are the missing when you go to add fx ?
There's not too many missing actually and I'm working through them - (still have installations in download file for some) and probably have alternatives for any missing ones. Most of my settings in Reaper seem to have gone back to default now so will double check paths in prefs.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #19
Coachz

Quote:
There's not too many missing actually and I'm working through them - (still have installations in download file for some) and probably have alternatives for any missing ones. Most of my settings in Reaper seem to have gone back to default now so will double check paths in prefs.

Thanks again for your help.
Don't forget to backup your prefs. That is VERY important whenever you get Reaper configured the way you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq9ndkWzssc
Old 07-06-2020, 02:58 PM   #20
kgbeat

Quote:
Don't forget to backup your prefs. That is VERY important whenever you get Reaper configured the way you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq9ndkWzssc
Will do. Thanks - you've been very helpful.