Old 06-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
zappadave
Human being with feelings

Default v5.21pre9 - June 3 2016

v5.21pre9 - June 3 2016
+ Arrange: improve drawing performance when zoomed in on empty space between items
+ Automation: improve volume envelope panel tweaking behavior
+ OSC: correct outdated Default.ReaperOSC comments
+ OSC: fix track bank selection bug for last track in session
+ VST: improve keyboard handling with Native Instruments plug-ins
# MIDI editor: action to set note ends to start of next note skips notes that start after, but end before, the current note [p=1689328]
# MIDI editor: allow user to delete text notation by editing the text to nothing, or rename the parent item to nothing [t=177643]
# MIDI editor: if selection is linked to both visibility and editability, update editability immediately when changing visibility [t=177636]
# Notation editor: tweak some beaming logic
Old 06-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
hamish

Haven't checked out the changes, however just want to mention that Piano Roll is not clearing contents when switching takes with multi-take items.

Notation view does clear as expected.

ALSO there definitely is a bug here. I think this may reproduce. 1) Empty proj 2) Create new MIDI item 3) enter notes 4) Duplicate takes. Remame takes TK1 and TK 2 so as to better identify them in MIDI editor tracklist 5) Edit the MIDI (checking out the Piano roll not clearing, this also involves create a new track and empty item to check editor clearing on item change). Flip between notation and piano roll, random display quantize change. 6) *mystery manouver* I mean I 'm not sure at what point this happens: 7) With TK 1 selected via Arrange, and shown selected in arrange, also shown as active and 'targeted' take in the traklist, attempting to add notes in Notation mode staff produces nothing visible in TK 1, however in the arrange window, TK 2 shows notes being added into that take.

I'll attach a zip...

Last edited by hamish; 08-02-2016 at 04:22 AM.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:27 AM   #3
Dimson

# MIDI editor: action to set note ends to start of next note

here's the original location of notes

so should work function

so it works in 5.21pre9
Attached Files
File Type: rpp 2.RPP (4.4 KB, 137 views)
Dimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:49 AM   #4
Teddy

Great to see some OSC fixes! Good job!

I'm not able to install it right now, but could someone check if the updated OSC-comments makes it clear that the rotary functionality only works for certain parameters and not others? That gave me a bit of a headache one time...

Last round with OSC, Justin talked about adding generic reascript OSC network send/receive support. Is that still in the works?
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:19 AM   #5
ELP

SRY Dimson but I have to say that "so it works in 5.21pre9" is the correct definition of ..."next Note start"

Your definition would not be "next" your (example image) is "...next nearest Note On".
Next means "the" next Note On event bigger the actual Note ON position within timeline/position,
and not the next nearest from actual Note Off to next Note ON, something that your example show..

This would be another action:

Last edited by ELP; 06-04-2016 at 03:31 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:41 AM   #6
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
Last round with OSC, Justin talked about adding generic reascript OSC network send/receive support. Is that still in the works?
this one would be killer!
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #7
slum_x

Thanks for OSC update.
Fixing also http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=159000 would really be great for using reaper in live performances
slum_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappadave View Post
v5.21pre9 - June 3 2016
+ Arrange: improve drawing performance when zoomed in on empty space between items
All working fine so far. Thanks for the fix.

Quote:
+ Automation: improve volume envelope panel tweaking behavior
What will have changed here ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
memyselfandus

Regarding notation view. Is there a way to change time signatures per track in notation view? When I change one track to say 3/4 it changes ALL the tracks. Even within items. There should be a way to be able to set the time signatures per track and item just like you can within the midi items/piano roll.

You can view midi items by the correct grids in the midi item piano rolls but not when you switch to notation view. This should be an option.

A "time signature changes affects all tracks" could be set to default and people who want to use it can deselect it. The option can go right underneath "key signature changes affects all tracks"
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #10
EvilDragon

No, you can't do that, as time signature changes are project global events in Reaper.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
schwa
Administrator

I don't think there was ever a point in the prerelease cycle where you could have different time signatures on different tracks. I'm not even sure what that would look like because it would mean measure numbers and bar lines would not line up when showing multiple tracks at once.

MIDI doesn't even really support this; multitrack MIDI files are required to have all time signature and tempo changes in a dedicated tempo track that does not contain musical events.

Notation view has always used the project timeline, which is a basic difference from the piano roll -- "source beats" timebase doesn't change the notation view at all (actually none of the timebases affect the notation view, which is effectively always in "project beats" timebase).
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
memyselfandus

There was a point in the beta cycle where we could though. The decided way doesn't line up with the piano roll view then. I'm just talking about grids here. Notation view slaps on the key sig. You can still set the grid to show whatever you want in the notation view. We just need an option to have time sigs per item and track. Or another words a default setting for the way it is and a option to deselect it. This won't affect anyone who doesn't use it. I have a couple good friends who are converting to reaper that are far more knowledgable than I who will post their ideas soon. They are converting specifically because reaper is so flexible with this stuff and so we can port all of our projects over to reaper. Will be Much easier than using all different daws and so on.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #13
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I don't think there was ever a point in the prerelease cycle where you could have different time signatures on different tracks. I'm not even sure what that would look like because it would mean measure numbers and bar lines would not line up when showing multiple tracks at once.

MIDI doesn't even really support this; multitrack MIDI files are required to have all time signature and tempo changes in a dedicated tempo track that does not contain musical events.

Notation view has always used the project timeline, which is a basic difference from the piano roll -- "source beats" timebase doesn't change the notation view at all (actually none of the timebases affect the notation view, which is effectively always in "project beats" timebase).
I retract my statement then. I'll go with what you say because I forget things from 5 minutes ago and you are the dev I'm sure I'm wrong on that then. I also don't have access to any of the pre's. I deleted them.

To put what I'm talking about into context here though

Steinberg have announced that Polymeter support is coming in the notation program they are working on called Dorico. At the moment there are really no options for this in most daws. Unless you use a tracker I've been told.

However.. I have found a way to this in Reaper

Set your time sig on the timeline
Insert a one bar (or any bar number) set to the time signature
Export the midi item
Repeat for all other time signatures

Then

Anytime you want different time signatures on multiple tracks you just drag the desired time signatured midi item onto your tracks

If we could set the metronome to click at any time sig regardless of what the timeline is set at.. We could have a Solid workflow for polymeters in Reaper!

Again

Just a simple option in the metronome to set it to any time sig on the fly

PLEASE consider adding this option

For those who are new to polymeters

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xZBi-DNO36A

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCqPbWeecbA
Old 06-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #14
memyselfandus

Either way. If the notation view is not suited for poly meters but the piano roll and items are.. Then we can just use the piano roll and not use the notation view.

Although I suspect that the only thing needed for this to work in notation view would be a simple de selectable option that reads "time signature changes affects all tracks" it could go right below "key signature changes affect all tracks"

Here is what it would look like

Even if we started with the option and could only view one track at a time when the default option is disabled. To keep it simple. This would ensure no opening a can of worms. But it might just work right off the bat though.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #15
memyselfandus

Also how cool would it be to have poly meters in reaper before anyone else has it.. Steinberg hasn't added theirs yet
Old 06-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #16
EvilDragon

You have to understand that Dorico is full-blown notation ONLY program, not a DAW. Reaper has no intention to have all the features of full-blown notation programs (neither does any DAW), so this is very unlikely to happen.

And as mentioned in the other thread, you can already do a custom metronome that is unsynced to the main timeline by using click source items.

Also, would be nice if you merged your posts instead of multiposting
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #17
memyselfandus

I know what your saying but. I'm only talking about one option that follows the piano roll logic that would make polymeters smooth. I'm fine using the piano roll for now. But how cool would it be!
Old 06-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #18
zappsunzorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
I know what your saying but. I'm only talking about one option that follows the piano roll logic that would make polymeters smooth. I'm fine using the piano roll for now. But how cool would it be!
Sorry as this goes a bit away from the Pre discussion we should have on this thread, if we keep talking about this we should probably get a room (another thread) for this discussion.

Couldn't you use multiple project tabs, one for each time signature, and set them to play at the same time?
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #19
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappsunzorn View Post
Sorry as this goes a bit away from the Pre discussion we should have on this thread, if we keep talking about this we should probably get a room (another thread) for this discussion.

Couldn't you use multiple project tabs, one for each time signature, and set them to play at the same time?

Agreed on the topic. No on the second part. I can already pretty much do what I want in one project tab via dragging in midi items I saved with various time signatures. Works fine with the piano roll. Just not notation. It would work in notation view with no issues for anyone who doesn't need it by having the default be the way it already is but with a option to deselect "apply time sig changes to all tracks" option. Even if this mystical option was tucked away in prefs.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #20
mehmethan

Saving a new project with the option "Copy all media into project directory" is not working here. It is not copying the inserted or dragged media into project directory.(both from media explorer or windows explorer) (v5.21 pre7,pre9 and official Reaper release.Win 10.1 64 bit)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...py%20media.gif

Can somebody confirm ?
If this not a bug what can cause this? Could you help me please?

Last edited by mehmethan; 06-04-2016 at 06:09 PM.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #21
hamish

Is 'Options >Preferences >Media >'Copy imported media to project media directory' checked?

Is this is a new-ish or modified option that is off by default? Maybe to stop inadvertently copying 800+ sample sets into a project directory? (If so, yay that was a fix I was after a while back). Gaaaaghh! NO it still copies in files for me (even when I don't want them to)

I looked at your gif screencapture. I don't know what's wrong. Media is being copied for me with v521 pre9

Last edited by hamish; 06-05-2016 at 12:38 AM.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:10 AM   #22
ELP

uncheck & check the option within the save-dialog again
Old 06-05-2016, 11:34 PM   #23
drowo

Default Notation view if midi is kept in external .mid files

For various reasons I have to store my midi in external *.mid files instead of storing them in reaper project file. When I open the notation editor I can't see anything.

Question: is notation view expected to work when midi is not stored in reaper format but kept in external *.mid files?

Note: This observation was made on official v5.201, not on 5.21pre9.
drowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:08 AM   #24
mehmethan

After 'Options >Preferences >Media >'Copy imported media to project media directory' checked, Saving started to copy media files. But I don't get it. So what is the function of " copy all media into project directory" in the save diaolog ?

Dev please delete or move this message if you think it does not belong to this pre-release thread.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:24 AM   #25
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
After 'Options >Preferences >Media >'Copy imported media to project media directory' checked, Saving started to copy media files. But I don't get it. So what is the function of " copy all media into project directory" in the save diaolog ?

Dev please delete or move this message if you think it does not belong to this pre-release thread.
If you have the project preferences set to store all project audio in a project sub-folder (e.g. C:/reaper projects/my_hit_record/audio) then the 'copy media files' option will copy all imported media files into that project sub-folder.

The importance of this is that, when you copy your project folder (and sub-folders) to your backup media, ALL the project's audio files are definitely backed up. Without the 'copy media' option, those audio items you imported into project will still be pointing to the original folder that you imported the WAV files from...
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:57 AM   #26
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowo View Post
For various reasons I have to store my midi in external *.mid files instead of storing them in reaper project file. When I open the notation editor I can't see anything.

Question: is notation view expected to work when midi is not stored in reaper format but kept in external *.mid files?

Note: This observation was made on official v5.201, not on 5.21pre9.
It should work fine. If you have a particular .mid file that does not seem to work properly, could you share it?
Old 06-06-2016, 05:13 AM   #27
vanhaze

I am experiencing what i think is a bug:

a) Open Midi Editor for a Midi Item.
b) Check Key snap on.
c) Choose a Key and Scale
d) Close Midi Editor
e) Open Midi Editor for the same Midi Item.

Outcome: The choosed Key and Scale are not retained, the 2 fields are empty (white).

Reaper 5.21pre9 64bit
OSX 10.10.5
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:06 AM   #28
schwa
Administrator

Fixing, thanks.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #29
vanhaze

Great, many thanks Schwa !!
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #30
drowo

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It should work fine. If you have a particular .mid file that does not seem to work properly, could you share it?
Yes, I can do it tonight. I'm not sure if it has an impact but I overwrite the *.mid files frequently, so I will add a short description of my workflow.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #31
drowo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowo View Post
Yes, I can do it tonight. I'm not sure if it has an impact but I overwrite the *.mid files frequently, so I will add a short description of my workflow.
OK, I just verfied that my workflow is indeed the problem.
1) When I open the track in midi editor just after loading the project it works fine. Midi notes are shown correctly in piano roll and notation view
2) I open musesscore and export all parts in separate mid files. As they are already existing (those files have been generated exactly that way) I agree to overwrite them.
3) I switch back to reaper and mid files are reloaded automatically. I open the midi track again. piano roll works, notation view is empty
4) I close the project and reopen it. Now everything is fine again like in 1)

I'm not sure this is a bug or simply some not supported workflow, but It seems to be not an issue for piano roll editor.

Is that description sufficient or do you still need the project?

~~~~~~~~~edit ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, I just figured out that it is not even necessary to overwrite the files. It is sufficent to switch to the musescore (or any other) window and back to reaper window (without closing those windows). Notation view is empty then.

Last edited by drowo; 06-06-2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: new observation