Old 01-13-2023, 01:15 PM   #41
Kewl
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPBaker View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you decide to use Harpex and then Compass?
That production featured a lot of wind and moving water (ocean, river) recorded with a SoundField ST450. Going from 1st to 7th with COMPASS produced some more or less audible artefacts. Harpex processing is "drier". By going from 1 to 3 with Harpex, it "dried up" the signal before going to the 7th order with COMPASS.
Quote:
And do you notice significantly better performance on the Studio vs the Air?
Yes. Looking at the numbers of the performance meter and the activity monitor, I could surely run that upmixing project on a Mac Studio M1 Max or a Mac Book Pro M1 Max or M1 Pro.

A Mac Book Air would probably not be powerful enough for the Rosetta version, but could probably be OK in Apple Silicon mode.

Last edited by Kewl; 01-14-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:38 PM   #42
BPBaker

Thanks, Kewl, very helpful!

I agree that Harpex tends to sound drier, which tracks with the source/diffuse comparisons on Leo McCormack's site:

Given than Compass can (as I understand it) extract a greater number of source components at higher orders (along with the diffuse components) makes me wonder if you might also get more "synthesized resolution" by going from Harpex 3OA to Compass 7OA, too, as opposed to upmixing from the original FOA using Compass?
BPBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:48 AM   #43
Kewl

Quote:
get more "synthesized resolution" by going from Harpex 3OA to Compass 7OA, too, as opposed to upmixing from the original FOA using Compass?
Not sure what you mean by "synthesized resolution".
Old 01-14-2023, 09:29 AM   #44
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
So, same project, but on a MacBook Pro M1 Pro:
MacBook Pro specs / Rosetta / Apple Silicon
Old 01-14-2023, 10:06 AM   #45
jamminpower

Default How to patch multi-channel into SPARTA binauralizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodulf View Post
I was given the suggestion by someone on this forum to use SPARTA Binauralizer in conjunction with ReaSurround. I route the speaker outputs (I've done up to 20) from ReaSurround to SPARTA, setting SPARTA to 20 inputs and letting it convert it all to binaural.
The reason I use ReaSurround instead of SPARTA's panner is that I have a bigger workspace and control of diffusion. The Mighty Lucas re-designed his Luna SE theme to allow an expanded embedded Plugin GUI on the track and now I can expand the ReaSurround GUI to almost full screen.
This works great and now I do almost all of my mixing this way.
Sorry for the newbie question, but how do you connect 20 channels into the Sparta plugin? It is a VST plugin. What channel do you put it on? And then how do you connect channel 1 of your source to channel 1 input of the VST plugin, and so on?
jamminpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 12:07 PM   #46
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminpower View Post
Sorry for the newbie question, but how do you connect 20 channels into the Sparta plugin? It is a VST plugin. What channel do you put it on? And then how do you connect channel 1 of your source to channel 1 input of the VST plugin, and so on?
Check the RPP file.

Last edited by Kewl; 04-10-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:53 PM   #47
BPBaker

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "synthesized resolution".
I just meant upmixing--parametric recreation of spatial information at higher orders ("synthesized" meaning artificially derived based on lower order data). My thought was that if Harpex has its own algorithm for upmixing, running a separate COMPASS upmixer algorithm on top of that might generate a different, perhaps more more "precise" sounding result that simply going from FOA to 7OA via COMPASS. (I haven't tested this yet myself, though.)

Thankfully those M2 Macbook Pros just came out today so I'm ready for a CPU upgrade!
BPBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:31 AM   #48
ajawamnet

Quote:
Check the RPP file.
Sparta in that RPP file won't even load for me... and yes it's installed and shows up in my FX... ATK and IEM work. Sparta - not so much

Last edited by ajawamnet; 01-28-2023 at 08:50 AM.
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:59 PM   #49
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajawamnet View Post
Sparta in that RPP file won't even load for me... and yes it's installed and shows up in my FX... ATK and IEM work. Sparta - not so much
Well, the point of the file was more to illustrate routing to the track and the plug-in. The plug-in could be something else.

« how do you connect 20 channels into the Sparta plugin? It is a VST plugin. What channel do you put it on? And then how do you connect channel 1 of your source to channel 1 input of the VST plugin, and so on? »