Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > OSCII-bot forum

Old 03-08-2021, 07:11 AM   #1
theeighth
Human being with feelings

Default OSCII-Bot working but Reaper won't receive any commands

Hello.

I've been using AKAI MidiMix with Reaper via OSCII-Bot (thanks to goldenarpharazon and his config https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...21&postcount=1) from time to time but a few days ago I noticed that it's not working anymore. Kinda.
I had a problem with it yesterday - until I rebooted my system and then the surface started to work.
Today it's not working again. And reboot had not fixed the problem this time.

Okay, so, what do I have:
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7,
OSCII-Bot 0.6
MidiMix, connected to my Mac via USB cable.

First of all, let me say that cable is okay and working, USB-port is okay and working, OSCII-Bot is okay too (I even installed oscii-bot logger provided by Darkstar here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210001) and it's showing all incoming commands from the control surface. I've also got ports open (just in case) but...REAPER is silent. It does not receive any messages. OSC port listening window is white, no signs of life of osc-device inside of REAPER.

So. What should I do in this situation? Any thoughts?
theeighth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
goldenarpharazon

A likely explanation is that the IP address of your Mac has changed since you last used it. The script and the Reaper setup and the IP address all need to be in line with one another otherwise the OSC will not work and Reaper will not respond to the hardware.

Most home IP addresses are dynamically allocated so can change so check this is all in line first.

Good luck
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
theeighth

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
A likely explanation is that the IP address of your Mac has changed since you last used it. The script and the Reaper setup and the IP address all need to be in line with one another otherwise the OSC will not work and Reaper will not respond to the hardware.

Most home IP addresses are dynamically allocated so can change so check this is all in line first.

Good luck
Well, good guess but unfortunately the IP hasn't changed because it's static and I wrote the right address in the config file. As I wrote before - MidiMix worked as usual just a couple of days ago.

The interesting part though is that oscii-bot tells me this:

Code:
Attached to already-opened device 'MIDI Mix'
Attached to already-opened listener 'localhost:9000'
So...I guess the listener is opened by oscii-bot logger but what opened the control surface?
Old 03-10-2021, 03:22 AM   #4
goldenarpharazon

From a clean OSCII-bot start each time, check one by one all combinations of

1) Running the logging script only
2) Running the MIDIMIX script only
3) Running both the logging script and MIDIMIX script together

For combination 3) both scripts use the same @OUTPUT and @INPUT so there is likely to be some contention so perhaps cause the error messages seen. Using the "OMNI" devices to open in the logging script instead could resolve. [see OSCII-bot documentation for this]
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #5
theeighth

Quote:
1) Running the logging script only
This works

Quote:
2) Running the MIDIMIX script only
This doesn't work. Except that I see the button addresses in the bottom left corner of oscii-bot window when I do something with midimix .

Quote:
3) Running both the logging script and MIDIMIX script together
Same as before - I see the log but midimix does nothing in REAPER (and yes, the device is configured in REAPER).

Quote:
For combination 3) both scripts use the same @OUTPUT and @INPUT so there is likely to be some contention so perhaps cause the error messages seen. Using the "OMNI" devices to open in the logging script instead could resolve. [see OSCII-bot documentation for this]
Well, there is no such thing as "@OUTPUT" in logging script, but I noticed that there are differences between how the @INPUT is wrote. In MIDIMix script it looks like "@input in MIDI "Mix" and "@input OSC_IN OSC "localhost:9000" but in logging script it looks like "@input HW_IN MIDI "Mix" and "@input HOST_IN OSC "localhost:9000". I've tried to change "@input OSC_IN OSC" for "@input HOST_IN OSC" in the Midimix script but that doesn't improve anything either. Very, very sad situation.

I still cannot understand what could cause a problem with that device and why it just doesn't want to work properly as it worked before. I haven't change anything in its script before the problem occurred. And I understand that there is something wrong with it because, well, the logging in midimix script doesn't work too. Unfortunately, I don't have much time for studying documentation too so I guess that Ill have to forget about it for some time. This is sad too cause I'd like to use that device since it saves my worktime.

From what I understand, Midimix script still gets midi from midimix itself and sends commands to REAPER, but REAPER does not receive them. I even tried to reset my REAPER config but still no luck.

Last edited by theeighth; 03-16-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
mschnell

What kind of "commands" ?

How exactly do you suppose Reaper should get and be aware of such commands ?
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:45 PM   #7
theeighth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
What kind of "commands" ?

How exactly do you suppose Reaper should get and be aware of such commands ?
-Michael
Um, midi and OSC "commands"? Those that should be visible by DAW after I set OSC device in the options menu? Or am I just misphrasing? English is not my native language so I can do that =D
Old 03-30-2021, 05:06 AM   #8
mschnell

As well reaper as OSCIIBot are midi device Clients. Hence you need to use a Midi device driver like "LoopMidi" do connect them. (I successfully do that).

Regarding OSC, I have not much experience with Reaper sending or receiving OSC messages. I do know that there are several ways.
- There is a file that defines OSC messages that Reaper itself should adhere to.
- You can "learn" (certain ? ) OSC messages to trigger actions, set parameters etc.
- you can use a built-in "Control/OSC/Web" control that features OSC communication.
- You can use a reaper extension such as "CSI" that allows for OSC communication.
But I don't know which provides an easy way to "see" the incoming OSC messages.

-Michael
Old 04-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #9
theeighth

Well, today I've finally tried my luck again and it's still not working. I've updated to REAPER 6.25 and thought that maybe it will change something.
At some point I've managed to get messages FROM reaper to oscii-bot logger but lost them when I've replaced Midimix osc config in REAPER's OSC directory with one that is placed in oscii-bot directory. Anyway, I could not control anything in reaper with midimix even when I got those messages from reaper.

I'm also getting some messages from reaper when switching osc mode in settings, something like this:

Code:
OSC  from Reaper : /track/1/number/str Value: 1
                   /track/1/select/toggle Value: 0.000000
So OSCII-Bot IS receiving messages, but, somehow, does not send them to REAPER. At least it's how I understand it.
And yes, I've double and triple-checked all ports and IP addresses in MidiMix config file - nothing helps.

Fun fact: Im getting connection errors when I try to set @input OSC_IN OSC to 127.0.0.1:9000 but there are no errors when I use localhost:9000.

And I also receive this message from reaper when I start OSCII-bot:

Code:
OSC  from Reaper : /device/track/bank/select Value: 1
                   /action Value: 41743

UPD: Okay, now I'm getting messages like this when I move fader
Code:
MIDI from MIDIMix: Control Change: Channel: 01 CC num: 62 Value: 50
OSC  from Reaper : /action/12/cc/soft Value: 0.393700
I guess it's doing something but there are no effects on reaper itself. I'm trying to move master fader but it's not moving in DAW.

Last edited by theeighth; 04-22-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:36 AM   #10
mschnell

Update:

The newest version of the ReaLearn VST can send and receive OSC (and Midi) messages, can convert them, can controöl Rteaper features by them and can send them out according to certain events in Reaper.

By this you might be able to avoid using an external executable altogether.

I don't know if that version already is available via ReaPack.

Please check out this forum thread: -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=178015
-Michael
Old 04-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #11
theeighth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Update:

The newest version of the ReaLearn VST can send and receive OSC (and Midi) messages, can convert them, can controöl Rteaper features by them and can send them out according to certain events in Reaper.

By this you might be able to avoid using an external executable altogether.

I don't know if that version already is available via ReaPack.

Please check out this forum thread: -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=178015
-Michael
Well, I've tried it, and all I can say that it's a promising little thing. I hope that in the future it will help me to easily configure MIDIMix, but, for now, it's not possible since there are no options to switch through track banks and use button combinations.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #12
mschnell

It also allows for EEL programming. hence you might be able to add those features...
-Michael
Old 04-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #13
mschnell

You can askfor help and request features in the forum thread. Helgoboss is very responsive.

It seems interesting to combine ReaLearn and CSI. But I am not sure how do send appropriate signals from ReaLearn to CSI. Mybe Helgoboss can answer to this.

-Michael