Old 02-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Rodulf
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 113
Default Sparta Ambisonics

Shout out to the updated SPARTA suite of plugins. Works very well with ReaSurround and O3A.
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:22 PM   #2
Kewl
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 89
Default

http://research.spa.aalto.fi/projects/sparta_vsts/
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
Kewl
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 89
Default

Big update today.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:47 PM   #4
Rodulf
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 113
Default Got it!

Just downloaded the latest...real nice.
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #5
aswath
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodulf View Post
Shout out to the updated SPARTA suite of plugins. Works very well with ReaSurround and O3A.
Sparta Plugins themselves have a panner so how are you using reasurround with Sparta and o3a plugins?? ... Just curious!!!
aswath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
Rodulf
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 113
Default SPARTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswath View Post
Sparta Plugins themselves have a panner so how are you using reasurround with Sparta and o3a plugins?? ... Just curious!!!
I was given the suggestion by someone on this forum to use SPARTA Binauralizer in conjunction with ReaSurround. I route the speaker outputs (I've done up to 20) from ReaSurround to SPARTA, setting SPARTA to 20 inputs and letting it convert it all to binaural.
The reason I use ReaSurround instead of SPARTA's panner is that I have a bigger workspace and control of diffusion. The Mighty Lucas re-designed his Luna SE theme to allow an expanded embedded Plugin GUI on the track and now I can expand the ReaSurround GUI to almost full screen.
This works great and now I do almost all of my mixing this way.
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #7
aswath
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Default

That is interesting... i too shall try and see how it works it... but then how would you render the file if you did not want it as binaural?? because from Reasuurround there is no way to render into ambisonics... or is there a way???
aswath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #8
jm duchenne
Human being with feelings
 
jm duchenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: France
Posts: 831
Default

If your outputs can be roughly placed along a sphere you can easily convert your ReaSurround outputs channels into ambisonics with IEM's MultiEncoder : just tell him what are the ideal positions of the speakers, set the order to the higher value you can afford to transmit if you don't want to loose too much spatial precision (minimum 3, better 5), and render its output :-)
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
aswath
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Ok.. sounds interesting.. i will try it and see... maybe if i have any questions, will ask... or if i find something new, will tell !!
aswath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:03 PM   #10
Rodulf
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
If your outputs can be roughly placed along a sphere you can easily convert your ReaSurround outputs channels into ambisonics with IEM's MultiEncoder : just tell him what are the ideal positions of the speakers, set the order to the higher value you can afford to transmit if you don't want to loose too much spatial precision (minimum 3, better 5), and render its output :-)
That about what I do with ReaSurround/SPARTA....I make the S{PARTA Binauralizer outputs reflect the ReaSurround outputs and it seems to work fine.
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #11
dadada
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105
Default

Very interesting. Since I am new to ambisonics how would I get reasurround output into the multi encoder?
I guess for 3OA I'd create a 36 channel track with reasurround on it to pan my source and then route that track's 36 channel output into another 36 CH track that has the multiencoder inserted? That channel would be my master out, right?
dadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #12
Rodulf
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadada View Post
Very interesting. Since I am new to ambisonics how would I get reasurround output into the multi encoder?
I guess for 3OA I'd create a 36 channel track with reasurround on it to pan my source and then route that track's 36 channel output into another 36 CH track that has the multiencoder inserted? That channel would be my master out, right?
SPARTA seems to work better at 64 channels.

I use the Binauralizer. Set at whatever channel count is coming from ReaSurround. I arrange the SPARTA outputs in the same configuration as ReaAurround.

I have an audio track with content going straight to RS, 10 tracks = to channels 1-10. From RS it all goes to SPARTA Binauralizer then to master track.
If you need I will try to post a template.

I've found that O3A doesn't really need SPARTA. Seems to work fine with it's own native decoder.
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:44 AM   #13
mozart999uk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 953
Default

Hadn't heard of sparta before. Looks very interesting!

Could I use it (or combine it with reasurround) to place virtual instruments in various places on a virtual recording sound stage in stereo?
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #14
Kewl
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Could I use it (or combine it with reasurround) to place virtual instruments in various places on a virtual recording sound stage in stereo?
I would have said yes until "in stereo": ambisonics can of course be decoded to stereo, but it's a byzantine way to do it if you know that your production will end up *only* in stereo.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:57 AM   #15
mozart999uk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
I would have said yes until "in stereo": ambisonics can of course be decoded to stereo, but it's a byzantine way to do it if you know that your production will end up *only* in stereo.
Fair enough :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #16
Rodulf
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Hadn't heard of sparta before. Looks very interesting!

Could I use it (or combine it with reasurround) to place virtual instruments in various places on a virtual recording sound stage in stereo?
Did it work for you?
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:25 AM   #17
mozart999uk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodulf View Post
Did it work for you?
I didn't pursue it. After Kewl's comment it seemed like the wrong tool for the job :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #18
Kewl
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 89
Default

Updated to 1.5.1 and new website. https://leomccormack.github.io/sparta-site/
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:16 AM   #19
sguyader
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 67
Default

I think I found a combination of plugins that suite me well for music mixing and rendering to binaural:
- IEM plugins for encoding/panning the track
- IEM plugins for signal treatment (reverb, EQ)
- Sparta plugin for binaural decoding

To me the Sparta binaural decoding plugin sounds the least colored.
sguyader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #20
sguyader
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 67
Default

I also found that the Sparta ambiBIN decoder works well with DearVR Pro set to TOA ambiX format output (I really don't like the DearVR binaural output, which I find heavily coloured). The advantage of using DearVR Pro is the virtual acoustics, reflections and disatance effects.
So far, Sparta's binaural decoder sounds the best to me.
sguyader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #21
heda
Human being with feelings
 
heda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spain
Posts: 6,364
Default

not working in Manjaro ...
following this issue https://github.com/leomccormack/SPARTA/issues/42
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.