Old 09-14-2021, 12:28 AM   #1
RJHollins
Human being with feelings

Default A Silent ITEM added to a Region on new Track ??

Hi Reaperites,

Have an idea that I'm trying to see if Reaper can do this.

Mastering ... I always have all Songs on a single, 'original' Track.

Each Song is in a Region.

Often times I need multiple Tracks that handle various Processes. That works great.

What I'd like to do.

Just as we can Insert FX inside an ITEM ... I would like to have an ITEM placed in an Above Track, that I can assign an FX to ... which I can Route to.

In other words ... something like a SILENCE media that fills the same Region as the Track I'm working. Something that can contain an FX.

Is this possible.

The Workflow ...

Say this 'Blank/Silent' track has a Limiter inserted. Each Song that is within its own Region could then have a Track with all Silenced ITEMS with an FX, and allow each ITEM to have it's own CHAIN of Processing.

yes ... we know that an ITEM can contain all the Processing effects ... but I need to maintain a type of separation in the Processing ...

example: 1st layer may be EQ's, 2nd layer could be harmonics, or tapes, or de-essr, and the 3rd layer, Compression, and the Final layer for the Final LIMITER.

Each of these would vertically align within the Song Region.

Make sense ?

Any idea HOW to get a 'silent' Media into a Region, that can hold FX's ??

Thanks for any ideas, suggestions.
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
RJHollins
Human being with feelings

update ...

I found how to add an EMPTY Item into a selected Region that looks
to allow having FX's ... I'm just not getting the Audio to route into
this Empty Item.

Also ... it might have been confusing trying to describe what I'm looking to do. Apologies ...

A way of thinking about it ...

Using multiple Tracks [as Busses] to separate processes and spread the CPU load.

I'm looking for a way to have an FX plugin 'container', that is located in the same Region [for that specific Song].

I know I can BUSS to a new Track, and use the Track for Efx inserts ... I do that too ... but,

If I have multiple Songs, each needing a different Limiter/setting [for example], it would be a much cleaner workflow to place those [limiters] in that Song's Region.

Hope that make more sense

Any ideas how to do this ??

Thank-you
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote