Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 12-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
Regisfofo
Human being with feelings

Default Super8Looper Tips & Tricks

Hi there,
I really enjoy working with that powerfull jsfx but i've found it is not really that easy to understand, so here is the thread I would have loved to encounter when I first started using it.
I'll try to cover some bases I struggled to get, and then go to more in depth use. All using licecaps, hoping it's easy enough to get...
Please feel free to shime in if you can add other usefull intels!

First, let's be clear about some Super8 limitations :
-It does not loop midi, but you can still loop the audio output of your vsti
-It can record only limited time loops ( 83 seconds in my setup...)
-The UI of the Super8 must be displayed for some fonctions to work properly (the add to project fonction namely does require it)

Now let's go :

You can right click to change monitoring modes

You can right drag the controls in the grey boxes, the numbers are midi notes numbers

If you need to loop a Stereo channel, just set rec and play from two channels to the same midi notes and now you're looping stereo...

Embeded UI in TCP does looks nice and feels practical. (By the way, It does resolve the import to session bug too )

The next one is just amazingly powerfull, take your time to imagine the workflow it permits. You can trigger Super8 with notes in a midi item directly from the JSFX track.

There's no Undo fonctions for overdubs , here is a workaround : Don't overdub, you can route the same audio input to several Super8 channels instead.

So now maybe, you're running out of channels, don't worry you can Sync several Super8 instances together either using one of the channel to do so like that :

Or you can sync them to the project's grid using Gianni's input quantize JSFX

Last edited by Regisfofo; 12-23-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
Regisfofo

[Place Holder]
I'm Working on some project template I'll post here when it will be ready.

Last edited by Regisfofo; 12-23-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:16 AM   #3
wakodoha

Thanks!
wakodoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
mccrabney

wow, great post! glad i caught this one, it inspires me to give it a try. I used to have a mobius template that I loved, but fell out of practice using
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
Regisfofo

Thanks,

I have yet to update it since last reaper updates took care of the stereo and the sync issues pretty neatly.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
sir Nowt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
I have yet to update it since last reaper updates took care of the stereo and the sync issues pretty neatly.
I've spent lots of time on a template (called 'SuperWaybackPlaytime' currently) which was inspired by this thread, and despite a mild amount of pain getting rid of a ton of redundancy thanks to the recent updates, things are much cleaner, although still probably a wee bit excessive. I still haven't really got my head around the two different sync options, or how I should best approaching the monitoring of the slots, but it's working nicely so far.

I'm using two sets of 3 Super8s, one for Vox, and one for Guitar/Bass, and two sets of 2 Super8s for the outputs of either VSTs, or the Maschine plug. I use a Quneo to enable/navigate around them, so a can re-use the same few FCB1010 pedals.

While the Super8s are handling the audio, Playtime is handling the MIDI, which can then be dumped into either of the two pairs of Super8s. A 2nd quneo

Anyhoo, thanks for the starting tips. I'll start a thread shortly, and share some files and stuffs, like a 6-Page iPad Lemur template for controlling sends, macro knobs, visualizing FX/tracks states, etc.

sir Nowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
ericzang

looks cool thanks!
ericzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
schwa
Administrator

FYI if you hit the "edit" button on Super8 (and some other JSFX) you get some documentation.

Code:
// General notes:
// 8 channels of audio input (1 channel per channel)
// 9 channels of audio output (1 channel per channel, 9th channel is selected-channel-only monitoring output)

// 8 channels are all synchronized. You can turn each channel on and off and overdub on each channel.

// MIDI assignments are mappable by right-click-dragging them in the UI.
//   - right click to cycle note/CC/PC/off
//   - ctrl/cmd+right click to assign to the last MIDI event received
//
// for each channel:
//   - note1=if not recording, start record
//           if already recording (and initial length-setting pass), set length and continue (overdub)
//           if already recording (and length is set), go back to playback
//   - note2=toggle playback (stop/rec->play, play->stop)
//   - note3=toggle selected-for-monitoring
//   - note4=reverse loop
// Right click the channel's monitoring icon to go through off/auto/always-on. 
//   - I use 'off' for things like mic'd drums
//   - I use 'always-on' for stuff where the source should always be audible (usually looping is less important)

// extra buttons:
// - halve length
// - double length
// - double length (no repeat) -- if there's existing content after the current loop, it won't be overwritten
// - x-fade shortened loop: crossfade at the loop boundary, use after shortening a loop
//   fadesize sub-button (drag): fade this amount when halving loop or when running the 
//     x-fade shortened loop command.
//     If you intend to double (no repeat) back up, set to 0ms and accept the clicks.
// - play all: play all channels that have content, or if all channels that have content are playing, stop
// - rec/play selected: cycle the selected channel (or channels, if linked) between stop/record/play/stop
// - add to project: add active channels as .wav files to the end of the project, on their respective tracks,
//   setting the tempo accordingly. (!) This uses a new undocumented (except for this) JSFX API...
// - kill (click) -- delete ALL!

// top menu items:
// - sync: off: classic freeform mode.
//         project: synchronize loop length to project tempo/beat count. if project is playing back
//           then loop is synchronized
//         playback: full transport sync
// - offs/length: (classic freeform only) adjust start/end points of loop
// - click cnt: loop length in clicks. affects metronome output, visual click, and loop length
//              in synchronized modes
// - vclick: visual click, if click cnt is enabled, display offset (or off)
// - start gate: when recording the initial loop, use this gate value before starting recording 
//   (useful for hand-shortages)
// - latch: wait to run commands until next loop iteration
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
FYI if you hit the "edit" button on Super8 (and some other JSFX) you get some documentation.
It would be great if there would be a "help" button that appropriately shows the ReaPackMarkDown information (or the appropriately formatted text in the code), if available.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
kham

Default Sending CC or PC or Note at the begining of each loop

Hi !
Thanks for the tips !
Is there a way to do this :
First Record a loop on super8looper the loop won't be syncronised, no tempo, not recorded with click.
And then when play button is hit, is there a way to make super8looper send a CC/PC or Note at the begining of the loop ?

Kham

Last edited by kham; 12-10-2020 at 02:53 PM.
kham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #11
Regisfofo

No Super8looper can't do that.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:35 AM   #12
kham

Many thanks for answering !
Old 09-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #13
kham

Default playing loops together with different lenght

Hi there ! Many thanks for your tutorial.
I'm playing live a doublebass solo.
https://youtu.be/WK0THAUvYqo
Reaper + super 8 looper + midi foot switch controler + multi out soundcard
It works really great !!! I play live and sync off. With that i can freely choose the tempo and the lenght of my loops accordind to my mood.
But is there a way to have loops playing together with different lenght ?
Cheers !
Old 09-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #14
mschnell

Great !

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #15
Dave 2099

I love Super8, props to Justin for giving us such a simple looping plugin.

I've come across some weird things that make me wonder if that's how Super8 works or if there are quirks in my Mac M1 Mini, or if it's something about how my FCB-1010 works, or how midi CC's work.

1 - Super8 would not recognize CC20 value 0 until I programmed a second CC20, so that there are two messages - value 0 and value 127. Is that just how CC messages work to toggle on/off? I haven't found any global setting I can change in my FCB that would seem to affect this.

2 - Super8 only seems to recognize midi channel 1. It didn't recognize my FCB until I added the JS midi channel router to route channel 3 to channel 1. Does Super8 only recognize channel 1, or do I have something weird going on?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, yall.
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:37 PM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 2099 View Post
I love Super8, props to Justin for giving us such a simple looping plugin.

I've come across some weird things that make me wonder if that's how Super8 works or if there are quirks in my Mac M1 Mini, or if it's something about how my FCB-1010 works, or how midi CC's work.

1 - Super8 would not recognize CC20 value 0 until I programmed a second CC20, so that there are two messages - value 0 and value 127. Is that just how CC messages work to toggle on/off? I haven't found any global setting I can change in my FCB that would seem to affect this.
Hmm yes it does ignore CCs if the value is 0. Perhaps that's not ideal, but I'd hate to break live setups now, hmm...

There's a line:
Code:
  nextmsg_1 == 0xb0 ? ( nextmsg_1 = 0x90; nextmsg_2 += 129; ) :
If you want you can edit it to be:
Code:
  nextmsg_1 == 0xb0 ? ( nextmsg_1 = 0x90; nextmsg_2 += 129; nextmsg_3 = 127; ) :
Quote:

2 - Super8 only seems to recognize midi channel 1. It didn't recognize my FCB until I added the JS midi channel router to route channel 3 to channel 1. Does Super8 only recognize channel 1, or do I have something weird going on?
Yeah, it only looks at channel 1. You could make it omni-channel by adding this line above the previously quoted line:
Code:
nextmsg_1 &= 0xf0;
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #17
Dave 2099

Cheers Justin, thanks for the fixes. I found workarounds so I was good but it's great that I don't need to send double CC messages. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #18
Dave 2099

Just made those changes Justin and it works like a charm! Thanks again, m'man.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:02 AM   #19
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kham View Post
It works really great !!! I play live and sync off. With that i can freely choose the tempo and the lenght of my loops accordind to my mood.
Beautiful how you improvise over the bassline in your above youtube video. Great musician friend! Thanks for sharing that great video. For making it more visible here we go:
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:33 AM   #20
zacki

Quote:
Cheers !
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #21
TonE

Quote:
Dear Kham, did you try Nabla Looper by another great musician, Esteban Morales?
I think with this you can do almost anything you want, any lengths, any type of preparation and later live playing with automated recording and automated stopping and automated looping. Worth trying for your situation.

Here videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_glcBFLb_vc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-o6TvvNddw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcazVetdkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Bs65Tw3XI

Here its forum thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=235592
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:16 AM   #22
Regisfofo

Quote:
Cheers !
Bonjour Kahm,
Bravo pour le solo, ça sonne super !
Pour ce que tu veux faire tu peux utiliser le paramètre div de chaque piste. Par exemple, si tu enregistres une première boucle de 4 mesure avec div=1, ensuite tu peux rajouter sur une autre piste une boucle d'une seule mesure si tu règles son div=4.
Si tu trouves que la synchro n'est pas super entre les deux pistes par rapport à ce que tu as joué, ajuste le RDC (Record Delay Compensation) de la deuxième piste par rapport à la latence de ton système.

Une astuce peut consister également à enregistrer d'abord une mesure sur la piste réglée sur div=4, et tu peux ensuite enregistrer directement une boucle de 4 mesure sur une piste avec div=1 sans avoir à utiliser le bouton 'double'. Bonne musique

Last edited by Regisfofo; 09-18-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #23
brk303

Any clever way to use only one note for start and stop of looping ?

Note ON starts record
Note OFF stops

Same for playback:
Note ON starts playback
Note OFF stops

This way you could draw MIDI automation of looper faster.

Edit:
Actually JS Note OFF to Note ON does this perfectly, so here's a tip for you guys.

Edit2:
Can anyone help me modify Super8 source to make it stop after recording instead of going instantly to playback ?

Last edited by brk303; 12-22-2021 at 01:52 PM.
brk303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:01 AM   #24
SmoothOperator

ot to bump an old thread, but this seems to be the most comprehensive resource for this plugin.

I noticed a weird issue. I am trying to set my controller pads to select a slot, then my foot controller to toggle play record. It works pretty well, except in latch mode. It seems that the select [sel] command is queued. Kind of weird. I can do a select and a toggle record and both will happen in the next cycle.

I guess it is not a biggie, however I am trying to get looping going with my daughter. I'd like it to be simple.

I looked in the code, and its clearly, adding selection midi notes to the latch queue, but I'm not sure which method to call to effect the sel immediately, but the other notes to be queued.
SmoothOperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #25
Swi

Is there a way to make the RDC even larger? I set this up on my system which is using a 512 buffer and if it's set up to sync play or sync to my project it sounds fine playing along but when I use the "add to project" the audio is all late.

I set up a click source track and sent it into Super8 to test it and when I use the add to Project function all the clicks are late even when the RDC it set to 100 which is as high as it can go. My setup would need it to go to 175 I am guessing from the looks of it after a few tests.

Is there a place where I can edit the plug RDC or can you please make it able to go up at least to 200 if not 300?
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:07 PM   #26
Justin
Administrator

To increase the max RDC, find this line:
Quote:
midimem[0] = min(max(midimem[0]-t*(.1*4),0),100);
Change the 100 to 1000 and it'll go up to 1s
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #27
Swi

Perfect thank you Justin
Thanks for this very fun tool.
Just a few tech notes from my setup.
Interestingly
When I bus a click source (insert click source) from a track in reaper and bus it into super8
160 did the trick for my rig.
When I record guitar (which is all I have recorded while testing this out) it seems closer to 57 is working for me.

If I change the tempo of my session and I am in project sync the starting beat shifts. I am wondering if this happens to anyone else?

If I had a request for this I would love for it to "Add to Project" at the edit cursor on the output tracks that I have set up to monitor Super8 or starting with a selected track in my project.

Many thanks again!

Last edited by Swi; 04-06-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:06 AM   #28
Yorky

Default Has Super 8 regressed?

Hi Reaperites,

Yesterday, I was messing with [on 6.59] Super 8 to remind myself of its functionality. Strangely, I'm not seeing these features which I have previously:

1 Resizing the window only allows for the cells to stay in a square formation [large or smallish] - as opposed to a rectangular one with all eight cells in a row

2 No stereo link button between cells.

3 The green "Play all" and Yellow "Rec/Play Selected" cells missing.

4 No right click to change the CC/PC/Note for rec and play [didn't check other buttons]. Right click drag does work.

There maybe other features that have changed too but these were the ones I've observed so far. I checked through the old change logs and can see where features were added but no where can I see any statement on removal?

I've just upgraded to 6.60 this morning and the same conditions apply to S8 as on 6.59. It's as though an old section of code has worked itself into the build profile?

Grateful if anyone is able to shed some light on this and correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers

Edit: on W10
Yorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:59 AM   #29
custom 22

Tried to set this up following kenny gioia video.

I have a two channel interface, I think you need an eight channel interface to get eight tracks.

Is this correct?

Thanks
custom 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #30
Reapology
Banned

Quote:
I have a two channel interface, I think you need an eight channel interface to get eight tracks.
Hey- not always-but if you wanted discrete channeling,then yes that helps.
Have a look at this 2 channel mod> http://1014.org/_/super2

^Please report any undesired anomalies to justin@cockos.
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:37 PM   #31
Regisfofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky View Post
Hi Reaperites,

Yesterday, I was messing with [on 6.59] Super 8 to remind myself of its functionality. Strangely, I'm not seeing these features which I have previously:

1 Resizing the window only allows for the cells to stay in a square formation [large or smallish] - as opposed to a rectangular one with all eight cells in a row

2 No stereo link button between cells.

3 The green "Play all" and Yellow "Rec/Play Selected" cells missing.

4 No right click to change the CC/PC/Note for rec and play [didn't check other buttons]. Right click drag does work.

There maybe other features that have changed too but these were the ones I've observed so far. I checked through the old change logs and can see where features were added but no where can I see any statement on removal?

I've just upgraded to 6.60 this morning and the same conditions apply to S8 as on 6.59. It's as though an old section of code has worked itself into the build profile?

Grateful if anyone is able to shed some light on this and correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers

Edit: on W10
Super8 seems normal here (win10 too). Maybe you have messed with the jsfx file ? Have you tried a fresh portable new reaper installation ?
Old 06-12-2022, 11:55 PM   #32
Regisfofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom 22 View Post
Tried to set this up following kenny gioia video.

Is this correct?

Thanks
Well if you want 8 distinct audio inputs, you need an 8 Channel interface. But you can route a single audio input to the 8 super8 slots. See first post above the 'there's no undo section...'
Old 06-13-2022, 05:15 AM   #33
Yorky

Default Has Super 8 regressed?

Hi Regisfofo,

Thanks for your response. To my best knowledge, I haven't altered any code - but I couldn't say for definite )

I upgraded to 6.60 a couple of days ago and always take a fresh install. I've looked at the code for any clues but at 1250 lines or so, it's quite a lot to go through.

Could I ask if you could perhaps PM me with your up to date code if at all possible please? Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2022, 06:34 AM   #34
custom 22

Quote:
Well if you want 8 distinct audio inputs, you need an 8 Channel interface. But you can route a single audio input to the 8 super8 slots. See first post above the 'there's no undo section...'

Yes, that worked.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by custom 22; 06-13-2022 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:34 AM   #35
custom 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapology View Post
Hey- not always-but if you wanted discrete channeling,then yes that helps.
Have a look at this 2 channel mod> http://1014.org/_/super2

^Please report any undesired anomalies to justin@cockos.
Thankyou
Old 06-13-2022, 08:03 AM   #36
Yorky

Default Has Super 8 regressed? [SOLVED]

Hi Regisfofo,

Thank you for giving me some pointers - the reply from Reapology got me into checking code blocks and sure enough there were differences. I then searched in my c:/ for Super8 and found two directories; Program files/Reaper X64/InstallData/Effects/loopsamplers - Super 8 45kB 8/4/22 & /Users/AppData/Roaming/Reaper/Effects/loopsamplers - Super 8 34kB 8/4/22.

The 45kB has the later features so I simply renamed the old file and copied in the larger file and Hey Presto! all now works to plan.

How this has occurred? Absolutely no idea!! but, again thank you for pointers. Cheers.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:34 PM   #37
Primeval Mudd

Quote:
The routing is splendidly flexible. My current default template sends four inputs (electric guitar, bass guitar, vocal mic, acoustic guitar mic) to the Super8. I put the amp sims, compression, FX sends etc on the individual Super8 channels instead of the input channels to keep things as flexible as possible.

A drawback is that layered guitar loops go through the same amp sim so each layer acts like part of a chord played on the guitar rather than individual parts.

It just struck me that I can use the amp sim as an input effect on the Super8's individual channels.

Whey-hey!

Website | YouTube | Facebook | Soundcloud
Primeval Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:04 AM   #38
dfasf

Default assigning PC keyboard messages to slots?

Hello!

Someone knows how to assign PC keyboard Keys to the looper?
I already tried with the slot mode on "pc", but it did not work.

Thanks in advance!
dfasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:47 AM   #39
Regisfofo

Well pc means midi program change in that case, not easy to send with the computer's keyboard.
Your best bet is to set input back to notes and send them using reaper's virtual midi keyboard imho.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:56 AM   #40
vbash

Love this looper! If anyone is interested in having 16 channels instead of 8 (or 8 stereo channels), here's a modified version which you can extract and put in REAPER/Effects/loopsamplers. The original source code is from Super8 REAPER v6.64. Seems to be working well for me so far!

Would be cool to have this included with REAPER (or even make the number of channels configurable), so people don't need to use multiple instances of Super8 for extra channels.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 12.43.58.png (160.5 KB, 2612 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip super16.zip (13.4 KB, 225 views)
vbash is offline   Reply With Quote