Old 09-07-2021, 04:23 AM   #1
LordFader
Human being with feelings

Default Duplicate Video Window external Monitor

Hi Folks,

I have a 48 inch 4K Monitor for my Daw with Reaper on Win10.
I also have an external Monitor in my Recoring Room for my voice actors to do voice overs. This Monitor is only Full HD.

I´m searching for a way, to duplicate the video window in Reaper so that i can see the video in my studio and the artist in the recording room also.

Is there maybe a way to sync reaper to an external VLC player with the same video file?
Or maybe there is a way to mirror only a part of the 4K Monitor to an external Full HD Monitor. Like you slice the 4K Monitor in 4 parts and only mirror one part to the external one?

Last edited by LordFader; 09-07-2021 at 12:35 PM.
LordFader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
plush2

You could try xjadeo.

It can chase to ltc or midi timecode generated by Reaper. It might do what you need.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:18 AM   #3
airon

An interesting tool to be sure. Any decent NUC or older PC can likely run the tool and receive LTC or MTC. Running a simple keyboard/mouse KVM switch would let you control the rig quite well.

Has anyone used an HDMI or Displayport splitter for this kind of thing before ? Of course the displays would need to be identical to have the exact same latency, which Reaper can easily compensate for in the preferences.

I'm currently learning to use the Fairlight page of Davinci Resolve and that appplication can use Blackmagic output hardware which is inexpensive and plentiful in options.

Being able to use Decklink devices for example would make using a large-frame display easier. Exact frame rate reproduction. SDI cable lengths. Maybe I'm getting too worked up from what I've seen Resolve do. The user experience of the GUI of its Fairlight page is still in an early state, but the video output features are great. It's also better at using a second monitor without all the little windows floating around .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
papagirafe

Here are 3 additional choices:

1) low tech/low refresh rate: VNC, ex: tightVNC the second PC can "look" at your screen. Simple but poor results.

2) OBS Studio to capture your video screen and start a streaming broadcast on your lan. Not so easy to setup and the delay is non negligible but the quality is good

*3) NDI tools from newtek.com. NDI is a very efficient network protocol for audio/video. The toolkit contains what you are looking for. I would transmit reference sound and image together to have the right sync. I have not personally tried your specific configuration so I cannot give a recipe but from my experience it's fast and reliable and ... free!

Last edited by papagirafe; 09-09-2021 at 11:21 AM.
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:22 AM   #5
LordFader

mhmm...It seems possible, but very unhandy.
I mean, it would be so much easier to have two video windows in reaper and this cant be too hard to integrate. I tried to split the video window with the 4x4 matrix. This way i could have two videos next to each other. If i place the windwo right, the left side will be nearly full screen on the 1080p Monitor and 1080p on the 4k monitor.
Downside is the handling and the fact, that you only can split the video in 4x4 so you always have big black bars in the video window.

The best solution would be if you could select a full screen video output on a specific monitor that is independent of your video window.
This can´t be too hard to be implemented.
LordFader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:49 AM   #6
lachinhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
You could try xjadeo.

It can chase to ltc or midi timecode generated by Reaper. It might do what you need.

How to use xjadeo in reaper? Can you guide me?

Thank you.
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
daniellumertz

Well another simple solution is the recording tv be in duplicate mode of your screen . If your gpu have more than 2 outputs you can set this up
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #8
EpicSounds

don't forget HDMI splitters are very inexpensive.

PC video out 1 - Edit window on main monitor
PC video out 2 - to splitter - to two monitors - full screen video window.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #9
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachinhan View Post
How to use xjadeo in reaper? Can you guide me?

Thank you.
You will need a midi loopback device if you are planning to run it all on one system (as is my test case). I use loopMidi on windows 10.

You can set up xjadeo to look for midi timecode in the right click menu under Sync/MTC (PortMidi).

After this you can insert a SMPTE LTC/MTC timecode generator on a track in the project you want to sync with. Set that to the timecode rate of the video source and make sure the track output is going to the loopMidi (or whatever you have installed) virtual midi device.

At this point you should be able to see the incoming timecode chasing in xjadeo by hitting the "S" command key. This turns on a visual display of incoming timecode. Hit play in Reaper and confirm you are synced.

This will work for playback but you can actually achieve a level of MTC frame sync while the transport is stopped/paused by using the vVIMTC Generator JS plugin in Reaper. The help in the code of the plugin is quite good so I won't go into how to use that too much.

A few notes, the offset in xjadeo is negative. For example a session start offset of 09:59:30:00 needs an offset in xjadeo of -09:59:30:00

If you are running xjadeo on an external machine you can use a physical midi cable for MTC or audio i/o to run LTC between them.

You'll need to play around with the Reaper SMPTE LTC/MTC timecode generator and vVIMTC Generator JS plugin to find the exact functionality you are looking for. You can get away with either or a combination of both depending on what you want.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote