Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-12-2018, 05:08 AM   #1
earhax
Human being with feelings

Default Move audio items to different folder within project?

Ideally, I want all glued, rendered, recorded, frozen, and any other audio files created in a project to be saved in an "Audio" subfolder by default. Is there any way to force this behavior so that, for every project, the all audio will be saved in a relative path "Audio" folder in the project folder?

If not (which is my guess, based on my efforts thus far), then how can I move files *after* they are glued/frozen/recorded from the project folder to the Audio folder while a project is still open?

Currently, the only solution I have found is to close REAPER, move the files, reopen REAPER, then browse for and relink the files when I reopen the project. This is not very ideal for project organizational purposes.
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhax View Post
Is there any way to force this behavior so that, for every project, the all audio will be saved in a relative path "Audio" folder in the project folder?
File/Project settings/Media, Path to save media files. Type in the path, can be relative. For example, type "audio" in that line and a folder named "audio" will be created inside the saved project folder and the media will go there. You can also define a secondary recording path in there.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
File/Project settings/Media, Path to save media files. Type in the path, can be relative. For example, type "audio" in that line and a folder named "audio" will be created inside the saved project folder and the media will go there. You can also define a secondary recording path in there.
Okay. I tried this, but I think I used a slash before the relative folder path. I'm not at my workstation right now to check. But will this work for *all* audio media, including all types I've mentioned (freeze, glue, recordings, etc.)?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
xpander

You can try it when you're back at your workstation.
I know it will work for the recorded, glued and freezed audio at least. Yea, I also had the path as "\audio" earlier on, but just plain "audio" seemed to work as well now that I've tried it. Once you make these changes, it might be a good idea to save these as default project settings, so they'll keep.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:23 AM   #5
earhax

Quote:
You can try it when you're back at your workstation.
I know it will work for the recorded, glued and freezed audio at least. Yea, I also had the path as "\audio" earlier on, but just plain "audio" seemed to work as well now that I've tried it. Once you make these changes, it might be a good idea to save these as default project settings, so they'll keep.
Okay it seems to work for the first path "Path to save media files". But for the "secondary recording path", when I record something on a track, then select the recorded file and click "rename", the folder location shown in the explorer window is still the one selected in the "path to save media files", and not the secondary recording path I set. Any idea how to get it to use the secondary recording path for any recordings in the project?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:15 AM   #6
xpander

There are couple of things about the secondary recording path to get it working.

First is that the secondary path is absolute, not relative, so you must put the full path in there. Second thing is that before doing any recording, you must set the recording track(s) to use that secondary path. You can access this setting from the record arm button right-click menu, Track recording settings or you can use actions to set the path;

Track: Set record path to primary
Track: Set record path to primary+secondary
Track: Set record path to secondary

Note that if you set the track recording path to primary + secondary, recorded media goes to both directories. But in those cases Reaper refers to the primary path as the source for the in-project files, the recorded media in the secondary path serves as a backup (or whatever purpose it has for you there).

Last edited by xpander; 10-17-2018 at 02:21 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-01-2018, 07:43 AM   #7
earhax

Quote:
There are couple of things about the secondary recording path to get it working.

First is that the secondary path is absolute, not relative, so you must put the full path in there. Second thing is that before doing any recording, you must set the recording track(s) to use that secondary path. You can access this setting from the record arm button right-click menu, Track recording settings or you can use actions to set the path;

Track: Set record path to primary
Track: Set record path to primary+secondary
Track: Set record path to secondary

Note that if you set the track recording path to primary + secondary, recorded media goes to both directories. But in those cases Reaper refers to the primary path as the source for the in-project files, the recorded media in the secondary path serves as a backup (or whatever purpose it has for you there).
Aha okay. Good to know. Thanks!