Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #41
Miul
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
It has many meanings. Here are just a few!

Biological Weighting Function
Broadcast WAV Format
Bad Word Filter
Business Work Flow
Band-Wagon Fan
Bisexual White Female
Backward Facing
Thumbs up up up up up up!!!
Miul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #42
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miul View Post
You would not help me because you don't agree with me? really? I don't think so.
I'm not sure you yourself are interpreting meanings very well since almost every reply, you miss what was being relayed. Last try...

If you continually force your way of communicating with the idea that it's always everyone else's fault and only thier misinterpretation, the people reading as in plural will stop replying and helping you, that is a normal human reaction of tiring of all the extra work involved just to exchange a simple idea with you.

I get the impression you were not kidding in your first post then you backtracked when called out on it, but that's just my "interpretation"
Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #43
domzy

Quote:
Oh no! I'm very happy with what I do and say.
So, are you successful or you are making the music you like....or you are so good and lucky to have them both?
well, you're obviously not very happy with it because you took offence when people misunderstood you and then you chose to further the conversation and explain yourself.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #44
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
This thread isn't about writing music, it is about how a DAW works, and effective written communications about that matters - so any abstract comparisons to writing music are again, wholly off topic and irrelevant. You are certainly free to continue doing it the way you do but eventually, less and less users will reply or help due to the frustration that results when trying to communicate with you - you could be 1000% right but if no one understands you, being right carries zero value.
Ok you want to keep low, I was trying to go to highest systems. Smiling.

I read already your next post. I am not backtracking at all. I do think what I said and below you will find a confirmation. But if you want to make central a P.S. that in my opinion was clearly funny....go ahead...what can I do?

It's interesting, because I have a wrong way of communicating and reaper has got a good one.
You know, when I first started using Reaper, I needed something and I searched in actions the word "Bar" and nothing appeared. I was like...how is it possible? No actions concerning bars. Somewhat later I discovered that reaper uses the word Measure, which is technically fine, of course, but...don't you think they are a bit playing with words? I mean, the word measure sounds to me a bit obsolete, we got it in italian as well, but I would expect to hear the word "misura" by an orchestra director. When playing rock, jazz is a very unusual word as we normally use "battuta"..."bar".

Now, before you say that Italy and States have two different languages, I have to tell you that I've been in States as well studying music...I don't remember anyone using the word measure...it was bar, bar and only bar. it's not the best example to describe the weirdness of action's name in reaper because surely, anybody understand measure...but how many would look it up when all the others daws (that I know) use the word Bar? Isn't this kind of placing names similar to a player that is just playing super fast just for showing up how good he can be? Or you expect people, before starting using Reaper to read all 500 manual pages, plus all the script that, just in my opinion, are essential and supersmart to the program?
Here it is. I think this is not funny. Making life harder that it could be, without any tangible reason.

P.S. No matter what kind of disagreement I can have with you or any other, as long as there are no insults and if one day I will become a good reaper user, you can count for my help.

Cheers
Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #45
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
well, you're obviously not very happy with it because you took offence when people misunderstood you and then you chose to further the conversation and explain yourself.
At the most I take offence when people insult me...but not even more...when I write these kind of post, in this violent world that is internet, I expect this to happens. Still I really like to exchange thought with people.
As I said in a previous post, one person can make my day, you must have missed that passage
Old 10-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #46
karbomusic

Quote:
I don't remember anyone using the word measure...it was bar,
I don't really have time to address all of the reply but I can assure you with 100% certainty that measure is a very commonly used term here; I rarely use the term bar though I don't mind using it. To your credit some actions and other things could be more consistent in their naming but with the amount of complexity available etc., it's somewhat expected to occur.

Quote:
Or you expect people, before starting using Reaper to read all 500 manual pages
[rant]

I absolutely do expect one to start reading it because I draw a pretty hard line about one taking the time to educate themselves in anything they wish to be good at, no excuses. It is on that person to do the work and make the effort and learning is not easy, it's hard, it takes effort, it hurts a little bit and doesn't always seem fair. It separates the winners from the losers so to speak.

And yes, I read the manual and read pretty much every page before doing anything serious in Reaper just like I'd do with anything where the result is important - I owe that to myself and any potential clients because there are already enough lazy and impatient people in this world who ride on the backs of everyone else. That isn't directed at you at all but it is true nonetheless.

I did do only skimming of the manual in some sections but the reason was that alone gave me mental breadcrumbs of where to look when I got stuck, so yea, if someone thinks they don't need to read/learn/try, I usually ignore them at some point. If you don't believe me about learning, search my history and count how many times I came here asking for help.. It isn't zero, but it is damn close and likely still in single digits, then contrast that with how many times I've given help. That isn't about me, it's about the difference between learning and complaining - again not about you, just the behavioral difference.

[/rant]

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-17-2018 at 10:29 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #47
domzy

Quote:
I don't really have time to address all of the reply but I can assure you with 100% certainty that measure is a very commonly used term here; I rarely use the term bar though I don't mind using it. To your credit some actions and other things could be more consistent in their naming but with the amount of complexity available etc., it's somewhat expected to occur.

[rant]

I absolutely do expect one to start reading it because I draw a pretty hard line about one taking the time to educate themselves in anything they wish to be good at, no excuses. It is on that person to do the work and make the effort and learning is not easy, it's hard, it takes effort, it hurts a little bit. It separates the winners from the losers so to speak.

And yes, I read the manual and read pretty much every page before doing anything serious in Reaper just like I'd do with anything where the result is important - I owe that to me and any potential clients because there are already enough lazy and impatient people in this world who ride on the backs of everyone else. That isn't directed at you but it is true nonetheless.

I did do some skimming of the manual but the reason was that alone gave me mental breadcrumbs of where to look when I got stuck, so yea, if someone thinks they don't need to read/learn/try, I usually ignore them at some point. If you don't believe, me search my history and count how many times I came here asking for help.. It isn't zero, but it is damn close.

[/rant]
I agree with this. Basically i'm a grumpy old man these days & it really frustrates me that a lot of people seem to expect brilliant results with no effort- i started out with a 4-track, an Atari ST and a Yamaha TX16w sampler (with the original OS, not Typhoon!) - and i had to work so long & hard to do anything half-decent, so basically i'm just jealous & bitter because of all the cool stuff now, which is generally pretty easy to use, especially with all the internet tutorials etc.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #48
Glennbo

Quote:
I don't really have time to address all of the reply but I can assure you with 100% certainty that measure is a very commonly used term here; I rarely use the term bar though I don't mind using it. To your credit some actions and other things could be more consistent in their naming
Open action list, type "transpose".

<Nigel>

Who's in here? No one! But over here, there's a little guy, so it's a complete catastrophe!"

</Nigel>
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #49
Miul

Quote:
I agree with this. Basically i'm a grumpy old man these days & it really frustrates me that a lot of people seem to expect brilliant results with no effort- i started out with a 4-track, an Atari ST and a Yamaha TX16w sampler (with the original OS, not Typhoon!) - and i had to work so long & hard to do anything half-decent, so basically i'm just jealous & bitter because of all the cool stuff now, which is generally pretty easy to use, especially with all the internet tutorials etc.
I started with Atari st as well.......
Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #50
Glennbo

Quote:
I started with Atari st as well.......
My dad's stereo reel-to-reel when I stumbled upon ping-pong recording one afternoon in 1969. Could get about four tracks before the first one deteriorated into the ether.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
Grouchy old fart here too. Yes, had the 800XL then the ST after that but didn't use them for music. I did bury myself in them for the few years I had them which became a big asset years later. Then I dropped all of that for being a musician which I also buried myself in for a decade or two - I didn't return to computers until 1998 then dove in again LOL so now my main gig is dev/debugging etc and my side gig is music. A friend and I were just looking through old Compute magazines which I used to live for, they are all available online now.

I also wasn't directing my rant at anyone here, it's just that I feel it is very important to make the effort and that line has been blurred while the need still exists as much as it ever has. And when I was younger knowledge was almost a privilege - you took a class if it even existed or you drove to the library or purchased a magazine and that was about it, now it is there for the taking, as much info as you ever dreamed, you just have to do the work - I'd have killed for that when I was younger.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:34 PM   #52
Miul

Quote:

And yes, I read the manual and read pretty much every page before doing anything serious in Reaper just like I'd do with anything where the result is important.

[/rant]
I am a very serious daw user, whether I read the manual or not. The manual can make me a better user, not a more serious one.

Although, a lot of the manual, being also an infinite list of shortcuts, are totally useless if you followed K. Gioia video instructions, where he completely destroy the default settings (sometimes in a good way sometimes not so much in my opinion).

Instead, I find the video way generally super useful, not only faster, but being visual they tend to create a tighter retention, at least for me.
Nonetheless, I would never say a manual is useless (in fact when I have space, I do read it. People used to make funny of me saying "ohhh, you are a manual guy").
One thing is to say that I cannot and don't want to read 700 pages before start working, and a total different one is to say that is useless and not to be read.

The misconception I've been reading about me are really a complete distortion of my approach.

P.S. I would really like to avoid saying every other sentence: according to me, in my point of view, at least for me, the way I see it....it is so very boring but I know that, if not written, I would give opportunity to people to say "and who are you to make such a statement" and similar banalities. Just as I could talk for anybody else who is not me!
So I guess I will have to keep specifying every other sentence...that is just my point of view.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:17 AM   #53
airon

Quote:
In logic it was "Move to original record position".
In Studio One "Move to origin"
In Reaper...."Move items to source preferred position (bwf)"

Here it is. In 7 words, and an acronymous, all the reasons why Reaper will never be a major daw (unless it changes approach).

P.S.
What does BWF stand for...."But What the F...?"
General rant, eh. I've done that.

With that off your chest, I suppose you'll ask for what many of us have posited should happen, and that's improving action descriptions to make them easier to find.

I've asked around for stuff that was already there and just hard to find, because I was looking for the wrong word(s).

BWF stands for Broadcast Wave Format.

I too support improving the description of this action. "Preferred" sounds like a personal choice.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:06 AM   #54
karbomusic

Quote:
I am a very serious daw user, whether I read the manual or not. The manual can make me a better user, not a more serious one.
^That looks a language barrier difference. By serious, I mean I read the manual before I did any work that was important. So we actually agree here, a better user from reading the manual will better handle a serious (aka important) project more successfully than one who doesn't.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-19-2018 at 08:18 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote