Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #41
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
Check groove markers and groove tool. (SWS extension must be installed.)
From my quick research, it looks to me like the groove tool is designed to transfer groove from one midi part to another, whereas, What I want to do is apply it to audio, in the arrange view.

Haven't found much on groove markers yet.

EDIT: I may have been wrong about that. I'll have to try it out I think.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #42
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
There is a little downside, in that I already use markers as easy ways to navigate sections, but this is definitely worth losing that for the time savings.
There are actions for copy/pasting your markers and their positions. I've got them all setup in one of my toolbars.

What I usually do is rename the Project file, delete the markers, do what I have to do, and then copy the markers from the previous project into the new one.

Quote:
EDIT2:

I'm having issues, namely that I'm not sure what that inline editor is you were using, nor how to activate it, and otherwise am trying to get this to work in piano roll, except that's proving difficult, mostly because there is no marker action in there. I'm thinking I could use passthrough maybe somehow, but I'm not sure how to get that to work.
You can get to the "inline midi editor" by right clicking on the items.

However, if you use markers, which I think is the best way, you don't need the inline editor.

And yeah, I'm using "M" with passthrough to insert the marker and then I've got this setup as a custom macro.

Navigate: Select next note
Navigate: Move edit coursor to start of selected events

Using markers like this is definitely the way I'll do this from now on, so thanks for suggesting it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #43
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
There are actions for copy/pasting your markers and their positions. I've got them all setup in one of my toolbars.

What I usually do is rename the Project file, delete the markers, do what I have to do, and then copy the markers from the previous project into the new one.

You can get to the "inline midi editor" by right clicking on the items.

However, if you use markers, which I think is the best way, you don't need the inline editor.

And yeah, I'm using "M" with passthrough to insert the marker and then I've got this setup as a custom macro.

Navigate: Select next note
Navigate: Move edit coursor to start of selected events

Using markers like this is definitely the way I'll do this from now on, so thanks for suggesting it.
I found a few hiccups with that action, such as a chord of multiple notes at the same snap causes the edit cursor to be hung up there.

Also, if you have any notes selected elsewhere than where you put your cursor, it won't behave as expected.

So I modified it slightly to this:

Quote:
Edit: Unselect all
Edit: Move edit cursor right one pixel
Navigate: select next note
Navigate: Move edit cursor to start of selected events.
Then I only have to press my marker button, which for me, won't be M in this case, since that brings up the naming dialogue for me normally, which I don't want in this case.

It would be really nice if I could somehow activate that midi passthrough command.

Or, if they just let you put a custom action for "keystroke" that would solve it, and it would make compound custom actions a little bit easier as well. I don't know if there would be a downside to that though. I wouldn't imagine there would be, but programming does things I don't expect sometimes.

I tried to find an easy way to delete them all after, like by using area selection, and I did find "marker set" whatever that is, but couldn't find a way to define markers as a set. So I think the fastest way to delete them is the same as creating them but delete marker passthrough instead.

EDIT: You get the added benefit that it plays you a melody out of your harmony while you build your grid.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 12-16-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #44
Tod

Quote:
I found a few hiccups with that action, such as a chord of multiple notes at the same snap causes the edit cursor to be hung up there.

Also, if you have any notes selected elsewhere than where you put your cursor, it won't behave as expected.

So I modified it slightly to this:

Then I only have to press my marker button, which for me, won't be M in this case, since that brings up the naming dialogue for me normally, which I don't want in this case.
Yeah, if your working with multiple notes then that's much better. At first I basically set it up with Kik and Sidestick, which I got from what I played on my piano. Then for the markers I deleted the kik so I only had the sidestick which was the at the swing point.

Quote:
I tried to find an easy way to delete them all after, like by using area selection, and I did find "marker set" whatever that is, but couldn't find a way to define markers as a set. So I think the fastest way to delete them is the same as creating them but delete marker passthrough instead.
I'm assuming you're talking about the project markers, and yeah, you just select a time selection around the markers and then use the action to delete them.

To copy them, you do the same thing, select them all, place the cursor at the front, and then use the action to copy them. Then in the new project you place the cursor at the front and paste them with the paste action. I think the "copy & Paste" are SWS actions.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #45
Sound asleep

Quote:
I'm assuming you're talking about the project markers, and yeah, you just select a time selection around the markers and then use the action to delete them.
What's the action for that? I couldn't find it. That would be pretty sweet. I literally have over a hundred markers to delete.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #46
Tod

Quote:
What's the action for that? I couldn't find it. That would be pretty sweet. I literally have over a hundred markers to delete.
Markers: Remove all markers from time selection.

Then there's one for renumbering them which I use a lot, Markers: renumber all markers in timeline order. You don't need to have them in the time selection for that, they'll renumber from the front regardless.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #47
Sound asleep

Quote:
Markers: Remove all markers from time selection.

Then there's one for renumbering them which I use a lot, Markers: renumber all markers in timeline order. You don't need to have them in the time selection for that, they'll renumber from the front regardless.
Nice, both of those are great! Thx.

One thing I find reaper could really use, given its extensive customization and actions, would be multiple keywords associated with actions that would bring them up. Because I have trouble finding actions sometimes.

This particular one, I'll bet is because I looked for "delete", rather than remove. And I try to mitigate that by changing the keyword I am using but sometimes I still miss actions, like in this case.

Or, if there was an online resource like that as well, I'd be down with that.

There are a LOT of actions, and sometimes the wording isn't even consistent. Thankfully, there is a good forum with knowledgeable gurus like you. Otherwise I'd be lost lol.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #48
Tod

Quote:
Nice, both of those are great! Thx.

One thing I find reaper could really use, given its extensive customization and actions, would be multiple keywords associated with actions that would bring them up. Because I have trouble finding actions sometimes.

This particular one, I'll bet is because I looked for "delete", rather than remove. And I try to mitigate that by changing the keyword I am using but sometimes I still miss actions, like in this case.

Or, if there was an online resource like that as well, I'd be down with that.

There are a LOT of actions, and sometimes the wording isn't even consistent. Thankfully, there is a good forum with knowledgeable gurus like you. Otherwise I'd be lost lol.
Heh heh, well I'm no guru, but I've spent a lot of time in the actions. And yes, it would be nice if there was more consistency in the wording, I can usually find what I'm looking for but it takes time.

Many times I reduce my filter down to one word, like "item", or "track". Of course it leaves a lot of actions to look through, but many times after looking at several actions, I'll come up with another word to add to it, and then maybe another.

For me the important thing is that with Reaper you can usually build your own perfect little DAW. There have been many times during the day, where I've come up with a manual task that is mundane and time consuming. Heh heh, it might take me more time to put the actions together to make it quick and simple, but that's okay, it at least takes the mundaneness out of it and more importantly, reduces the margin for error.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #49
Sound asleep

Quote:

For me the important thing is that with Reaper you can usually build your own perfect little DAW. There have been many times during the day, where I've come up with a manual task that is mundane and time consuming. Heh heh, it might take me more time to put the actions together to make it quick and simple, but that's okay, it at least takes the mundaneness out of it and more importantly, reduces the margin for error.
Ya, sometimes I spend more time customizing it, than it would have taken to do the task in the first place, but I figure it's worth it in the long run. And like you said, it takes the mundane out of it, which I hate. I have done quite a few things to get it as fast as possible, so that when I want something, I can do it quickly and easily, and get on to achieving the result I want, rather than go through a number of mundane steps to get it done. Those are the things I hate most about production. That's what's great about something like guitar. With guitar, if I think something, I can do it right away when I think it. But production has cool aspects as well, that you can't get from playing an instrument live.

Customizations really help that, even for stuff like track templates. All my VSTis, and input types have their own template, so it's a one click install, named, with icon, the instrument on the right input and all that. But the downside, is that sometimes I forget some cool customizations I did. And I don't always remember, even when that thing bothers me. For example, today, while adding the re-order markers button to my toolbar, I discovered I had created 2 buttons for minimizing and maximizing all children tracks, and also unsoloing everything, which just yesterday were things that bothered me that I wish I had a quick and easy way to do it.

My version of reaper the way it is now, has become something quite unique, and is really tailored to my workflow, so I have it backed up in a number of places. If ever I lost all the customizations I did, that would be really brutal. Idk what I'd do.

EDIT: This actually reminded me to do my backups lol.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 12-16-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:40 AM   #50
ivansc

Quote:
I don't really write or sing in french much. But maybe I'll write a full french one one day, or another hybrid one, idk.
Reason I asked is I recently wrote my first ever lyric in French & am sorting out the music at present. Tried the basic melody and lyrics on some francophones and they not only understood it but also got the jeux de mots I had put in it! I must be making progress.....
Old 12-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #51
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Reason I asked is I recently wrote my first ever lyric in French & am sorting out the music at present. Tried the basic melody and lyrics on some francophones and they not only understood it but also got the jeux de mots I had put in it! I must be making progress.....
Nice. That's one of the reasons I don't like to write in french. I can toy with the language, but not on the same level as I can in english. Not as naturally. I don't use as many synonyms and slang and colloquialisms as I do in english, it's more sort of a language I use to get around when I need it, or to understand others. And I get their slang and stuff like that no problem, whether they are from the deep bush in quebec, or from bordeaux, but it's not *my* slang, if you know what I mean. Just like I understand the british slang, and hip hop slang, and what have you, but would not use that in one of my songs, unless it somehow was pertinent to do that on purpose for that effect. Same thing for spanish, which is actually relatively similar to french. It's not really "me", but it would be much easier to rhyme, that's for sure.

Different languages, do tend to have their own unique ways of saying things sometimes though, and that can be pretty cool. And sometimes just certain words for certain things have a nice sound to it, so I could see myself maybe writing a hook like that or something one day.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #52
TonE

Reaper has swing on arrange (now).
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #53
woogish

no reggae either
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #54
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Ya lol. It's pretty sweet. I think they released it really shortly after this thread was posted. Maybe just a couple updates later. Pretty sweet lol.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #55
ChristopherT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
So can we apply swing quantise to audio ?

If so - how?
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote