Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
handfp
Human being with feelings

Default (Basic Midi question) External midi input appears to be transposed +1 and +2 octaves

Let's say I play C3 on my external keyboard (Yamaha SY77 - old but still kicking!). I pass this through my M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface to my computer (Mac mini). Midi Monitor confirms that the note being received is C3.

I set up a single track in a new Reaper project to record the note. It appears as C4 (ReaControlMIDI log shows it as note 60, which I believe is C4).

I insert an instance of Kontakt onto the same track. The note I'm playing is identified as C5 by Kontakt.

I'm confused! What might I be doing wrong here?
handfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
captain caveman

It's not you, it just that nobody can decide on a standard, nothing is actually transposed - the notes are just called different names.

In Reaper you can go into Options>Preferences>Media MIDI>"MIDI octave name display offset" to get Reaper to conform to whatever you use most.
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
handfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain caveman View Post
It's not you, it just that nobody can decide on a standard, nothing is actually transposed - the notes are just called different names.

In Reaper you can go into Options>Preferences>Media MIDI>"MIDI octave name display offset" to get Reaper to conform to whatever you use most.
Thanks for that! It was doing my head in!!!
handfp is offline   Reply With Quote