Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-17-2022, 02:58 PM   #361
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Internet told me that if the yabridgectl add have spaces and stuff in the link you are trying to add, you should add quotes before and after, and the writer of that good info was ..

Glennbo!

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-17-2022 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Yeah! :)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #362
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
Check if libxml2.dll is even present in the prefix in the first place (find ~/.wine -type f -iname 'libxml2.dll').
Thanks I finally got it working but it's strange. I had to switch from Wine TKG to vanilla wine-staging.

I concluded it was to do with iLok and PACE not installing properly in TKG (even though that worked fine in past Manjaro installations). Now the file is there but it apparently got installed with TouchOSC...

Anyways, at least I can move on now. Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:49 PM   #363
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Internet told me that if the yabridgectl add have spaces and stuff in the link you are trying to add, you should add quotes before and after, and the writer of that good info was ..

Glennbo!
So now it werks?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #364
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
So now it werks?

Well, Kontakt is werking, and blow me down, so is Replika nowdays, Massive is fine, MassiveX also, but not the factory presets, Kontakt is most important, but i could survive with TAL sampler, thank gawd for its existence and other Linux supporters
Old 05-18-2022, 01:16 PM   #365
Glennbo

Quote:
Well, Kontakt is werking, and blow me down, so is Replika nowdays, Massive is fine, MassiveX also, but not the factory presets, Kontakt is most important, but i could survive with TAL sampler, thank gawd for its existence and other Linux supporters
Veddy cool.

When I switched to Linux, all my Windows instrument plugins worked, and I decided then to never buy Windows plugins again.

I've only purchased native Linux plugins since then.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #366
4duhwinnn

Quote:
I had to move the Massive X factory sounds to the user folder, which annoyingly gets rescanned on each launch. A small price to access the excellent sounds. Sad that NI's Massive X gui coding team is not on a par with the sound designers.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:36 AM   #367
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
I had to move the Massive X factory sounds to the user folder, which annoyingly gets rescanned on each launch. A small price to access the excellent sounds. Sad that NI's Massive X gui coding team is not on a par with the sound designers.
Cheers

Hmm, on Fedora 36 and the WINE Stageing Native Access will go unhandled exeption during the download, so I will not even get the sounds i think.
But based on your info and Glennbo, i'm starting to think if the newest version of WINE is not always the best maby, he said he used to have ALL his ex-windows-plugs working, so
I'm on Manjaro now, "visiting" might as well try the stable branch or something.

Ps, one might install everything on Windows and move it to Linux, but, but..

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-19-2022 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:48 AM   #368
SmajjL

Quote:
Veddy cool.

I've only purchased native Linux plugins since then.

I am one step behind you then, (buying nothing if it won't work on Linux) just now there was a Reason 12 deal, I was strong after some meditation inkl help with nature music from youtube.. because with RS12, i think i need to get my ass back to Windows

But you are native ooonly now, inkl your precious Kontakt? whats next, open source only, UNFAbo?
Im still gameing and using the likes of Proton anyway is my thinking
Old 05-19-2022, 06:04 AM   #369
heda

Since Manjaro updated some months ago, I've never been able to use yabridge. Now it seems to work, but a funny thing happens, when the plugin window is displayed I cannot click anywhere else on REAPER to focus on REAPER window. I can only go back to REAPER using ALT+TAB key.

But the worst thing is... I cannot click on the plugin controls, for example to move a knob, but I can click somewhere around the top left corner of the full screen, over REAPER window, and drag there and then the knob on the plugin moves. it is as if the plugin gets the mouse coordinates from the screen and not from the floating window.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:19 AM   #370
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Since Manjaro updated some months ago, I've never been able to use yabridge. Now it seems to work, but a funny thing happens, when the plugin window is displayed I cannot click anywhere else on REAPER to focus on REAPER window. I can only go back to REAPER using ALT+TAB key.

But the worst thing is... I cannot click on the plugin controls, for example to move a knob, but I can click somewhere around the top left corner of the full screen, over REAPER window, and drag there and then the knob on the plugin moves. it is as if the plugin gets the mouse coordinates from the screen and not from the floating window.
Do you happen to use an obscure window manager? Or do did you 'Allow the window manager to control the windows' checkbox in winecfg's Graphics tab?
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:39 AM   #371
heda

Quote:
Do you happen to use an obscure window manager? Or do did you 'Allow the window manager to control the windows' checkbox in winecfg's Graphics tab?
oh wow. Thank you! that fixed the issue... I had "Allow the window manager to control the windows" unchecked. I don't remember changing it but now with it checked, all works as expected.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #372
Glennbo

Quote:
I am one step behind you then, (buying nothing if it won't work on Linux) just now there was a Reason 12 deal, I was strong after some meditation inkl help with nature music from youtube.. because with RS12, i think i need to get my ass back to Windows

But you are native ooonly now, inkl your precious Kontakt? whats next, open source only, UNFAbo?
Im still gameing and using the likes of Proton anyway is my thinking
Kontakt, B4 Organ, FM7, Superior Drummer 2, EZ-Drummer 1, EZ-Keys Essential Pianos, Arturia MiniMoog V, Emu Proteus VX, plus a bunch of freebee Windows instruments are what I have had working in Linux for four years now. I don't need any more virtual instruments though. Most my musical compositions are using real bass, real drums, and real guitars. Virtual instruments only play supporting roles in my music.

BTW, I also use Proton many times a week for a bunch of racing games I still like to play.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #373
SmajjL

Quote:
Kontakt, B4 Organ, FM7, Superior Drummer 2, EZ-Drummer 1, EZ-Keys Essential Pianos, Arturia MiniMoog V, Emu Proteus VX, plus a bunch of freebee Windows instruments are what I have had working in Linux for four years now. I don't need any more virtual instruments though. Most my musical compositions are using real bass, real drums, and real guitars. Virtual instruments only play supporting roles in my music.

BTW, I also use Proton many times a week for a bunch of racing games I still like to play.

I bet you know who Davie504 is then? obviously since you are not scared to fire that thing
I am also all AMD now and Mesa drivers pretty much covers me, and opencl, open264, F12021 werks, Automobilista2, Rfactor2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, on single player at least, if something does not work, try install protonup, and Proton GE.
Oh, MachineMini MK2 is dusty, Launchpad X is not, see? not worky out! worky IN
Old 05-19-2022, 12:11 PM   #374
Glennbo

Quote:
I bet you know who Davie504 is then? obviously since you are not scared to fire that thing
I run it offline.

Quote:
I am also all AMD now and Mesa drivers pretty much covers me, and opencl, open264, F12021 werks, Automobilista2, Rfactor2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, on single player at least, if something does not work, try install protonup, and Proton GE.
Oh, MachineMini MK2 is dusty, Launchpad X is not, see? not worky out! worky IN
The handful of Windows plugins I need, all work great with Yabridge on my AMD 3700X and Radeon RX550.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #375
SmajjL

Quote:
I run it offline.

The handful of Windows plugins I need, all work great with Yabridge on my AMD 3700X and Radeon RX550.

I've been more in/on Bitwig for some time now and that thing is a synth itself, the need for synths is less there, but i got 2 Uhe's now, might as well get all for REAPER

Ps, Davie504 on YO!-tube
Old 06-09-2022, 07:56 AM   #376
robbert-vdh

Default [ANN] yabridge 4.0, with chainloading, overhauled backend, and many UX improvements

TL;DR: If you don't have the time to read the entire post, do make sure to still check out the first bullet under the 'yabridgectl' section of the changelog.

It's been a couple of months, but today's the day to finally release yabridge 4.0. The original plan was to also work on ARA2 support for this release, but most of these changes have already been sitting idly on the master branch since April as I didn't have any time to prepare a proper release in the meantime. So it seemed like a good idea to just get these things out of the way first, as there are a several significant quality of life improvements in here.

So, what changed? In short, almost everything. But, at least in theory, after the initial `yabridgectl sync`, everything should work exactly as it always has worked or better. All of these changes and many more are covered in more detail in the changelog. So if you're interested, then I encourage you to read that as well.

The biggest change in yabridge 4.0 is very technical, but it will improve the experience of using yabridge considerably. Yabridge has always consisted of two components: a plugin library a native VST2 or VST3 host can load, and a Wine plugin host application that can host Windows VST2 and VST3 plugins. Both components talk to each other to pass through messages or function calls, and they are thus coupled very tightly together. Because of that, updating one but not the other may result in crashes or other unexpected behavior. And as a result, you had to always rerun `yabridgectl sync` after updating yabridge in order to replace old yabridge library copies with fresh ones. This can be a problem when installing yabridge through a distro's package manager, as the package may have been updated without you realizing it. Yabridge would pop up a desktop notification warning you about this, but even that may not work if the old yabridge library copies were compiled against older version of Boost as the host would now be completely unable to load the plugin. To remedy these problems, yabridge 4.0 no longer copies the entire plugin libraries around. Instead, yabridgectl now using these new, dependencyless shim libraries while the main yabridge files stay in their place. These shim libraries are tiny plugins that simply search the system for the actual yabridge files, load them, and then forward all function calls to them. This somewhat resembles the chainloading process used by boot loaders, and yabridge thus borrows that term to refer to this process. As a result of this, yabridge plugins can no longer go out of sync as the chainloader will always load the correct version of the yabridge plugin library, even if you didn't rerun `yabridgectl sync` after an upgrade. In addition, this approach slightly reduces the time it takes to set up plugins, and plugins take up less disk space if you aren't using Btrfs or XFS (in which case yabridgectl uses reflinks instead of copies).

The second user facing change is that VST2 plugins are now set up in `~/.vst/yabridge` by default, just like VST3 plugins are set up in `~/.vst3/yabridge`. This way you only need to make sure your DAW searches through `~/.vst` for VST2 plugins, and it will automatically be able to find all of your yabridge plugins. Be sure to read the bullet under the 'yabridgectl' section in the changelog for more detailed migration instructions, but the short version is that you simply need to make sure that your DAW searches for VST2 plugins in `~/.vst`, and that it no longer searches for plugins in any of your Windows plugin directories. After running `yabridgectl sync`, yabridgectl will inform you about the leftover `.so` files in your Windows plugin directories from yabridge 3.x. Simply read through that list to make sure there's nothing in there that shouldn't be deleted, and then rerun the command as `yabridgectl sync --prune` to remove them. If you want to stick with the old way to set up VST2 plugins instead of them being set up in `~/.vst/yabridge`, then there is an option available to do so through `yabridgectl set`.

There are many more noticeable changes, but the most important ones I should mention here are in yabridge's shared memory handling and in yabridgectl's post-installation setup checks. Yabridge uses desktop notifications to inform you about things that are going terribly wrong, and yabridgectl now also checks whether `notify-send` is installed after running `yabridgectl sync`. This ensures that you won't miss any important messages. The shared memory handling change relates to how yabridge handles the locking of shared memory. Yabridge uses shared memory to share audio buffers between the native plugin and the Wine plugin host, and it tries to lock that shared memory to main memory to prevent it from being swapped out to the disk. Previously yabridge would simply terminate if it couldn't do so, but now it will fall back to not using memory locking if the user doesn't have permissions to do so. It will, however, still show you an annoying desktop notification until you fix this.

On the backend side, a lot has changed. The biggest change is that the dependency on Boost has been completely removed, and everything has been reworked accordingly. This should make packaging easier, as yabridge now no longer depends on any system library other than the basic libraries needed to interact with X11. Some parts of Boost have been replaced by other headers-only libraries, while other parts now simply use custom implementations. All of this is explained in more detail in the 'Packaging notes' section of the changelog. Yabridgectl also lost its dependency on winedump, at least in most cases. It now tries to parse plugin libraries directly using the goblin binary parsing library. This should also speed up the syncing process. I did, however, run into one plugin that this new parser couldn't handle. If that happens then winedump will still be used instead.

There are many more changes, so I encourage you to read the full changelog below. Oh and on a completely unrelated note, I've been working on a CLAP and VST3 plugin framework and a suite of plugins in Rust, so be sure to check that out as well if you're interested: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/nih-plug

You can find the full changelog with an exhaustive list of new features, improvements, and fixes here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/4.0.0
Old 06-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #377
audiojunkie

Quote:
TL;DR: If you don't have the time to read the entire post, do make sure to still check out the first bullet under the 'yabridgectl' section of the changelog.

It's been a couple of months, but today's the day to finally release yabridge 4.0. The original plan was to also work on ARA2 support for this release, but most of these changes have already been sitting idly on the master branch since April as I didn't have any time to prepare a proper release in the meantime. So it seemed like a good idea to just get these things out of the way first, as there are a several significant quality of life improvements in here.

So, what changed? In short, almost everything. But, at least in theory, after the initial `yabridgectl sync`, everything should work exactly as it always has worked or better. All of these changes and many more are covered in more detail in the changelog. So if you're interested, then I encourage you to read that as well.

The biggest change in yabridge 4.0 is very technical, but it will improve the experience of using yabridge considerably. Yabridge has always consisted of two components: a plugin library a native VST2 or VST3 host can load, and a Wine plugin host application that can host Windows VST2 and VST3 plugins. Both components talk to each other to pass through messages or function calls, and they are thus coupled very tightly together. Because of that, updating one but not the other may result in crashes or other unexpected behavior. And as a result, you had to always rerun `yabridgectl sync` after updating yabridge in order to replace old yabridge library copies with fresh ones. This can be a problem when installing yabridge through a distro's package manager, as the package may have been updated without you realizing it. Yabridge would pop up a desktop notification warning you about this, but even that may not work if the old yabridge library copies were compiled against older version of Boost as the host would now be completely unable to load the plugin. To remedy these problems, yabridge 4.0 no longer copies the entire plugin libraries around. Instead, yabridgectl now using these new, dependencyless shim libraries while the main yabridge files stay in their place. These shim libraries are tiny plugins that simply search the system for the actual yabridge files, load them, and then forward all function calls to them. This somewhat resembles the chainloading process used by boot loaders, and yabridge thus borrows that term to refer to this process. As a result of this, yabridge plugins can no longer go out of sync as the chainloader will always load the correct version of the yabridge plugin library, even if you didn't rerun `yabridgectl sync` after an upgrade. In addition, this approach slightly reduces the time it takes to set up plugins, and plugins take up less disk space if you aren't using Btrfs or XFS (in which case yabridgectl uses reflinks instead of copies).

The second user facing change is that VST2 plugins are now set up in `~/.vst/yabridge` by default, just like VST3 plugins are set up in `~/.vst3/yabridge`. This way you only need to make sure your DAW searches through `~/.vst` for VST2 plugins, and it will automatically be able to find all of your yabridge plugins. Be sure to read the bullet under the 'yabridgectl' section in the changelog for more detailed migration instructions, but the short version is that you simply need to make sure that your DAW searches for VST2 plugins in `~/.vst`, and that it no longer searches for plugins in any of your Windows plugin directories. After running `yabridgectl sync`, yabridgectl will inform you about the leftover `.so` files in your Windows plugin directories from yabridge 3.x. Simply read through that list to make sure there's nothing in there that shouldn't be deleted, and then rerun the command as `yabridgectl sync --prune` to remove them. If you want to stick with the old way to set up VST2 plugins instead of them being set up in `~/.vst/yabridge`, then there is an option available to do so through `yabridgectl set`.

There are many more noticeable changes, but the most important ones I should mention here are in yabridge's shared memory handling and in yabridgectl's post-installation setup checks. Yabridge uses desktop notifications to inform you about things that are going terribly wrong, and yabridgectl now also checks whether `notify-send` is installed after running `yabridgectl sync`. This ensures that you won't miss any important messages. The shared memory handling change relates to how yabridge handles the locking of shared memory. Yabridge uses shared memory to share audio buffers between the native plugin and the Wine plugin host, and it tries to lock that shared memory to main memory to prevent it from being swapped out to the disk. Previously yabridge would simply terminate if it couldn't do so, but now it will fall back to not using memory locking if the user doesn't have permissions to do so. It will, however, still show you an annoying desktop notification until you fix this.

On the backend side, a lot has changed. The biggest change is that the dependency on Boost has been completely removed, and everything has been reworked accordingly. This should make packaging easier, as yabridge now no longer depends on any system library other than the basic libraries needed to interact with X11. Some parts of Boost have been replaced by other headers-only libraries, while other parts now simply use custom implementations. All of this is explained in more detail in the 'Packaging notes' section of the changelog. Yabridgectl also lost its dependency on winedump, at least in most cases. It now tries to parse plugin libraries directly using the goblin binary parsing library. This should also speed up the syncing process. I did, however, run into one plugin that this new parser couldn't handle. If that happens then winedump will still be used instead.

There are many more changes, so I encourage you to read the full changelog below. Oh and on a completely unrelated note, I've been working on a CLAP and VST3 plugin framework and a suite of plugins in Rust, so be sure to check that out as well if you're interested: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/nih-plug

You can find the full changelog with an exhaustive list of new features, improvements, and fixes here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/4.0.0
Very cool announcement thread!! Thank you for all of your work! I've traditionally stuck to native apps, but I've been seriously considering using a lot of the commercial windows plugins I've got sitting around with WINE/yabridge. You DO support HiDPI monitors, right?
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:02 AM   #378
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
You DO support HiDPI monitors, right?
That's up to Wine and the Windows plugins, yabridge doesn't have anything to do with that.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:18 AM   #379
SmajjL

Nice surprise-release-party Robbert

KDE/Wayland is still buggy, but can be a usefull buggy since plug-ins can be to large, but that depends on who you ask and what monitor, TV
Still a tad blurry though but hey
Gnome/Wayland is To good now so that will not work
Winecfg have a dpi setting so you can see what you install.

If on a "4K" going retro oldschool 1080p is not the end of the world if, you haveto on a desert island

Will try this asap! just have a distrohopping issue to solve Thank You!
I'm on Fedora atm and https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...ickl/yabridge/ is not That! fast
Guess Arch it is then, here i come

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-09-2022 at 10:35 AM. Reason: agreed, way to many :)
Old 06-09-2022, 10:41 AM   #380
chmaha

Quote:

Brilliant work!
Old 06-09-2022, 10:46 AM   #381
foxAsteria

You rock dude!!! Testing...
Old 06-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #382
audiojunkie

Quote:
That's up to Wine and the Windows plugins, yabridge doesn't have anything to do with that.
I was kinda referring to this:

"I've been working on a CLAP and VST3 plugin framework and a suite of plugins in Rust..."

Old 06-09-2022, 11:08 AM   #383
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
I was kinda referring to this:

"I've been working on a CLAP and VST3 plugin framework and a suite of plugins in Rust..."

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about yabridge! Yes those plugins are user scalable (on Linux, haven't gotten around to do the low level work for Windows and macOS yet), and they'll use the scale set by the host if the host supports that (which it should, but some hosts apparently don't. Looking at you, Ableton Live ).
Old 06-09-2022, 11:20 AM   #384
audiojunkie

Quote:
Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about yabridge! Yes those plugins are user scalable (on Linux, haven't gotten around to do the low level work for Windows and macOS yet), and they'll use the scale set by the host if the host supports that (which it should, but some hosts apparently don't. Looking at you, Ableton Live ).
Cool! Thanks!
Old 06-09-2022, 12:48 PM   #385
SmajjL

Quote:
Wayland
SmajjL.. do me a favour, thx..
SLAP!
--
yabridge looks to work just fine thank you - very - much!
Ps, just because you mentioned Ableton, i did try the demo and i got a well deserved abnormal program termitation in my eye
(i know i know.. was curious!)

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-09-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:24 PM   #386
XoechZ

Did a fresh install of Arch Linux with wine-staging and yabridge 4.0. When I did a yabridge sync for the first time it gave me a warning about not being able to show errors because of missing libnotify (or something like that). So, mabe you should include libnotify as a dependency for yabridge in future releases (just a thought).
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #387
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoechZ View Post
Did a fresh install of Arch Linux with wine-staging and yabridge 4.0. When I did a yabridge sync for the first time it gave me a warning about not being able to show errors because of missing libnotify (or something like that). So, mabe you should include libnotify as a dependency for yabridge in future releases (just a thought).
I can't do that (like on any other distro, the Arch repos are maintained by volunteers, not by the people developing the software that is packaged). But I can ask the package maintainer to add an optdepend on libnotify. Libnotify's used by a ton of different software, so most people will already have it installed.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:52 PM   #388
XoechZ

Quote:
I can't do that (like on any other distro, the Arch repos are maintained by volunteers, not by the people developing the software that is packaged). But I can ask the package maintainer to add an optdepend on libnotify. Libnotify's used by a ton of different software, so most people will already have it installed.
Ok, I did not know that. Maybe I am a minority, but I am using Arch Linux with i3-wm and I did not have libnotify installed. I don´t even know if it makes any sense on my sytem, I just got the warning from yabridge.
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #389
mschnell

Really great to watch improvement in the usability of Reaper in Linux with "tradition" plugins !
Maybe we'll one day really see a "Reaper distribution" similar to what was supplied by Muse some years ago (but without the necessity to buy that dedicated hardware and with decent community support).

Thanks a lot !
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-12-2022 at 01:56 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:45 AM   #390
robbert-vdh

Default [ANN] yabridge 4.0.1

This is a very small bugfix release to fix a (fairly rare) regression in yabridgectl's VST3 setup behavior from yabridge 4.0.0. The update also 'fixes' an issue with very recent Arturia VST3 plugins crashing during plugin scans in REAPER and Ardour. I wasn't able to reproduce these crashes up until now using the demo versions of the plugins, but I grabbed the currently free Analog Lab Intro version yesterday and was finally able to reproduce the issue. As I already expected, the plugin would try to use globals without checking whether those globals were initialized, right after the plugin deinitialized those globals. Preventing that allows the plugin scan to succeed again.

If you missed it, then you you may want to check out the above. The the full changelog for this release can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/4.0.1
Old 06-12-2022, 09:36 AM   #391
Glennbo

Quote:
This is a very small bugfix release to fix a (fairly rare) regression in yabridgectl's VST3 setup behavior from yabridge 4.0.0. The update also 'fixes' an issue with very recent Arturia VST3 plugins crashing during plugin scans in REAPER and Ardour. I wasn't able to reproduce these crashes up until now using the demo versions of the plugins, but I grabbed the currently free Analog Lab Intro version yesterday and was finally able to reproduce the issue. As I already expected, the plugin would try to use globals without checking whether those globals were initialized, right after the plugin deinitialized those globals. Preventing that allows the plugin scan to succeed again.

If you missed it, then you you may want to check out the above. The the full changelog for this release can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabri...ases/tag/4.0.1
Hey Robbert, this morning I got a large update including wine-staging and upon opening REAPER Superior Drummer blew up and REAPER closed. I remembered that I had recently switched to the Yabridge that comes from the repository, so I re-ran sync, which acted like it ran through all my Windows plugins, but again Superior Drummer crashed and REAPER closed.

So since I have a backup of the old way I was doing it, which was using a downloaded and extracted version of Yabridge in the .local/share folder, I uninstalled Yabridge from the repository version, deleted the yabridge folder in my .vst folder, and copied the old version of Yabridge back to my .local/share folder.

When I ran the sync command it found all my Windows plugins, and like it was previously setup created new .so files over in the "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugins/" folder hierarchy as before, and now all my Windows plugins are working again.

I am no longer buying any new Windows plugins, so I really have no need to be running the sync command ever again. Since this works and the repository version does not for me, I think I'll just stay setup the old way where neither Yabridge or any of the .so files created for my Windows plugins ever get changed again, unless some Manjaro or WINE update breaks it.

Edit: I should also mention that I am using a wine prefix that was setup 4 years ago when it was recommended to use a 32 bit prefix. It all works now, so I won't be trying to make it a 64 bit prefix, or trying other versions of Yabridge because I really have no desire to be working on my machine and would rather be working on music.

Just thought I'd mention the 32 bit factor so you'd know.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-12-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:52 AM   #392
SmajjL

The Arch delivery post office seems to work and look at that, the pakages are intact? woot?

For some reason, i seem to believe that Yabridge/DAW are more pleased with me if i 'yabridgectl add' aaaall the way to the last folder possible where the VST is

Old 06-12-2022, 10:02 AM   #393
chmaha

Quote:
The Arch delivery post office seems to work and look at that, the pakages are intact? woot?

For some reason, i seem to believe that Yabridge/DAW are more pleased with me if i 'yabridgectl add' aaaall the way to the last folder possible where the VST is
In my wine folder I have two locations:

Code:
~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/VST3
~/.wine/drive_c/VST
As in the standard VST3 location and then a single custom VST2 folder. Yes, a mild pain to customize the install location for each plugin but it's worth it in the long run. And, it goes without saying that when I have an option for VST3 I don't bother with the VST2 install. Only occasionally do I create another wine prefix...
Old 06-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #394
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
In my wine folder I have two locations:

Code:
~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/VST3
~/.wine/drive_c/VST
As in the standard VST3 location and then a single custom VST2 folder. Yes, a mild pain to customize the install location for each plugin but it's worth it in the long run. And, it goes without saying that when I have an option for VST3 I don't bother with the VST2 install. Only occasionally do I create another wine prefix...

I started with just ~/.wine/drive_c/ and that is not recommended, some very reliable source told me who lives in this thread (even if it "can work)
But when i got Reason 12, i started getting problems with it showing up At All in the DAW so, tried all the way ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/VST3/Reason Rack Plugin.vst3/Contents/x86_64-win/ and after that i just kept doing it

I have yet to try bottles and see what that is about, thanks for the reminder

Old 06-12-2022, 10:32 AM   #395
chmaha

Quote:
I have yet to try bottles and see what that is about, thanks for the reminder
I don't use bottles but I'll have to look into it. Are you talking about https://usebottles.com/? When I want a new prefix I just use WINEPREFIX= on the command line.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:39 AM   #396
SmajjL

Quote:
I don't use bottles but I'll have to look into it. Are you talking about https://usebottles.com/? When I want a new prefix I just use WINEPREFIX= on the command line.

Yes i think so, and i've read others talk about it so, your prefix-talk made me think of it.

Maby not today, but i would like to the see how much of Komplete 12 i can get working, ie, more WINE stuff installed so i maby Need? this greek prefix stuff (noob warning)
Edit: who came up with the name "prefix" sounds so complicated, separate folders does not

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-12-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:52 AM   #397
chmaha

Quote:
Edit: who came up with the name "prefix" sounds so complicated, separate folders does not
Because you prefix your command with it as an environmental variable?:

Code:
WINEPREFIX=~/.winefabfilter wine ./Setup\ FabFilter\ Total\ Bundle\ v2022.02.15.exe
But yes, I agree with you. WINEFOLDER= would have been nicer

EDIT: Are Wine "bottles" and "prefixes" synonymous? Apparently not quite¹:
Quote:
Bottles is close to what wineprefix means, since v.2 it provides a simplified method to generate environment-based bottles and thanks to other tools it simplifies the management but nothing more.
------
¹https://docs.usebottles.com/faq/why-bottles

Last edited by chmaha; 06-12-2022 at 11:01 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:58 AM   #398
SmajjL

Quote:
Because you prefix your command with it as an envirnomental variable?:

Code:
WINEPREFIX=~/.winefabfilter wine ./Setup\ FabFilter\ Total\ Bundle\ v2022.02.15.exe
But yes, I agree with you. WINEFOLDER= would have been nicer

Puh! thank you for the support
The place Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu at least makes sense to me.. *whot?*
I'm guessing this will be a "have to" down the road, but noooot today

Old 06-12-2022, 11:02 AM   #399
chmaha

Quote:
Puh! thank you for the support
The place Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu at least makes sense to me.. *whot?*
I'm guessing this will be a "have to" down the road, but noooot today
You lost me at Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki ...
Old 06-12-2022, 11:03 AM   #400
SmajjL

Quote:
You lost me at Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki ...

YEah.. even the editor got confused and i gave up