Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
Scottsdale
Human being with feelings

Default UX for keyboard users: the tab order of the Render dialogue could use some refinement

Hi,

I'm loving the new functionality that's being added in the Render dialogue lately, but teaching my students to use these excellent additions is proving to be a task and a half because configuring 'em using the keyboard currently involves an unholy amount of bashing away on Tab/Shift+Tab. Explore the current tab order and I'm quite sure you'll agree that - right now - it doesn't reflect the visual workflow accurately. Here are a couple of examples where reordering could unlock huge productivity improvements:

- Choosing whether you're setting up the primary or secondary render is currently separated from configuration of the output paths and formats for each by a minimum of 13 Tabs.

- Options related to output paths/formats are currently at the end of the tab order, after the render queue, the "Save changes and close" button and the Render button. IE, whilst configuring options, a keyboard user will find themselves constantly Tabbing/Shift+Tabbing through options to queue or start the render (buttons that they're presumably not ready to hit yet if they're still adjusting settings).

This is less specific than my usual posts I know, but if someone could spend a couple of minutes rethinking the tab order to reflect the visual UX more closely, it would be massively appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
vtsaran

I couldn't agree more with this post.
The same could probably said for Mac OS. While there is a certain tab order in that dialog, not all actionable items can be reached via the TAB key, requiring extraneous screen reader gymnastics to navigate the dialog and activate various options.

The attentiontion to this would be much appreciated!
Best.
Vic
Old 05-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
SkycladSound

I agree.

When opening the render dialogue, keyboard users are first presented with the file name, edit field which is logical enough, but then there is a read only edit box where the 'Render to' path and file name, which is pretty far removed from the 'Browse' button to change it.

The 'Delay Cued Render' checkbox is right before the file name box. What about having it closer to the other render cue options? What about having the 'render one file', 'Cancel' and 'Save Changes and Close' buttons right before the file name edit like a standard windows dialogue. In most of those, the tab order follows a logical circle. If the render and cancel buttons were right before the file name box, the user could tab through, configuring as necessary before, having checked everything was okay, rendering out.
SkycladSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:13 AM   #4
Overlord25

Hi, I concur with the thoughts expressed here, in version 5.99 things were fine, and naturally it's fantastic to have all of the new features, but tab order and workflow has suffered particularly for screen reader users, just needs a little tidying I feel to get back on track
Overlord25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:17 AM   #5
jprykiel

Hi.
Thank you Scot for bringing this issue out.
As a visually impaired user, I couldn't agree more.
Best,
jprykiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:25 AM   #6
Castle Starter

Hi, the render dialog is a biggy so making it more logical and intuitive on the tab order would be much helpful.

Regards,

Castle
Castle Starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
mattymc2

Totally agree with this. I always feel like i get completely lost in here and i think i've nearly warn out my tab key. It would be great if they tab order followed a logical flow. I usually have to go around twice to make sure i've got everything set right .
Cheers
mattymc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
Kara Louise

I agree with everything expressed here.
While rendering projects the other day I frequently got lost and confused as to where everything is.
Kara Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:35 AM   #9
Scottsdale

Huge moves in the right direction with Reaper 6.11. But...

The tab control for deciding whether you're setting up primary or secondary render formats is still confusingly separate from configuring the format options themselves. Is there any chance of getting that refined?

I think the most logical tab order would be tab control to choose whether you want to configure primary/secondary, then format configuration options, then onto Queued Renders and Render button being the final thing in the tab order.

Thanksyou many much for any further refinement!

Scott
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote