Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-23-2018, 04:30 AM   #1
Monroy
Human being with feelings

Default Addictive Drums 2 and Reaper. How to send signal from track to AD2

Hi,

I would like to say that AD2 is amazing plugin. Is probably the best sounding VST drum machine out of the box.

My drums always looks that:
- new virtual instrument (AD2) on track and click "yes" on routing info.
- in AD2 mixer little down arrow > "seperate out"
- on track with AD2 > render stereo and mute oryginal.

Now I've got seperate tracks rendered (snare, kick, etc). BUT - I would like to have ability to send rendered tracks with some slate EQ and preamps (kick, snare, hihat) back to AD2 to make some adjustments with BUS, ROOM and OVERHEADS with this routed track. Is this possible?

I other words - is possible to use .wav tracks inside AD2?
Monroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
RobU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroy View Post
Hi,

I would like to say that AD2 is amazing plugin. Is probably the best sounding VST drum machine out of the box.

My drums always looks that:
- new virtual instrument (AD2) on track and click "yes" on routing info.
- in AD2 mixer little down arrow > "seperate out"
- on track with AD2 > render stereo and mute oryginal.

Now I've got seperate tracks rendered (snare, kick, etc). BUT - I would like to have ability to send rendered tracks with some slate EQ and preamps (kick, snare, hihat) back to AD2 to make some adjustments with BUS, ROOM and OVERHEADS with this routed track. Is this possible?

I other words - is possible to use .wav tracks inside AD2?
It's not possible, audio routing is one-way only. Once you're out of AD, you're looking at insert/send FX in Reaper for further processing.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
RobU

Incidentally - XLN are having their Spring sale at the moment - 50% off everything, including the quite awesome RC-20. https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/ef...20_retro_color

No, I'm not on commission
Old 03-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Monroy

Thanks,

Just one question, because I don't want to make new topic, so I ask here:

When I play drums straight in AD2, master volume in Reaper show max signal about -2dB, but when I make routing in AD2 to seperate tracks, then master signal in Reaper hit couple dB above 0db. Why is that?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

Is the AD mixer actually set with all channels at unity when you make this comparison?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
Monroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Is the AD mixer actually set with all channels at unity when you make this comparison?
Yes. All faders inside AD2 are exactly on positions from template of some preset. To link them I'm using "down narrow" and "post-fader seperate out" (green color of narrow). And after this I have couple dB above zero on master fader in Reaper.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

Have you tried rendering, normalizing, and then nulling? Like are they actually exactly the same other than the level difference? I'm gonna guess it's either a Pan Law or an "insertion loss" in ADs mixer.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
Monroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Have you tried rendering, normalizing, and then nulling? Like are they actually exactly the same other than the level difference? I'm gonna guess it's either a Pan Law or an "insertion loss" in ADs mixer.
After render, tracks (e.g tooms, overheads and room) hits couple dB above zero, especially overheads. Of course those tracks also shows level above 0dB while playing (after routing).

This wouldn't be problem if "master" fader in AD2 took level of all tracks from AD2. But this "master" fader in AD2 handle just send FX which is weird.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
ashcat_lt

That seems especially strange since I would expect AD's underlying samples to be fixed-point files. Even the loudest of them should be below 0dbFS. There might be some overlap that could push them over a bit, I suppose...

Anyway, as long as it's not actually clipped, it's more just a curiosity than a deal breaker. Turn them down a bit and move on.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:22 AM   #10
RobU

AD's channel fx can easily push Reaper's track meters into the red.

If it's a concern, you could turn those FX off and do the processing in Reaper, or do some internal (AD) gain-staging... but unless the audio sounds unpleasant, I'd just ignore it, unless you're going for unpleasant...
Old 03-24-2018, 02:19 AM   #11
Monroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobU View Post
AD's channel fx can easily push Reaper's track meters into the red.

If it's a concern, you could turn those FX off and do the processing in Reaper, or do some internal (AD) gain-staging... but unless the audio sounds unpleasant, I'd just ignore it, unless you're going for unpleasant...
Yes. I made some experiment - turn off stock AD2 plugins and then use slatemix with exactly the same settings like stock AD2 fx. Effect? AD2 plugins are VERY good, very good. In other words - sometimes doesn't make sens to route channels from AD2 to seperate tracks in reaper to apply some FX. Really AD2 fx are very good quality.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:38 AM   #12
XoechZ

Most AD2 presets use a Limier on the Master Channel inside AD2. If you route the individual channels out to Reaper, you do not use this Master Channel, therefore you do not use its Limiter. And that is why you have a higher output level.
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
Monroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoechZ View Post
Most AD2 presets use a Limier on the Master Channel inside AD2. If you route the individual channels out to Reaper, you do not use this Master Channel, therefore you do not use its Limiter. And that is why you have a higher output level.
Thanks. Does it means that this limiter is non-adjustable? I can't find any knobs or settings for this limiter.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
XoechZ

Yes, the Limiter is editable. In AD2, click on the "Master Channel" label to view the insert FX of the channel. I am not at my recording PC right now, but as I can remember, the Limiter settings are somewhere on the right side. I am sure you will find them.
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:17 AM   #15
Monroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoechZ View Post
Yes, the Limiter is editable. In AD2, click on the "Master Channel" label to view the insert FX of the channel. I am not at my recording PC right now, but as I can remember, the Limiter settings are somewhere on the right side. I am sure you will find them.
Thanks, I found.