Old 11-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
trinita
Human being with feelings

Default Built in Sidechain

Hallo friends, i don't know if i'm missing something, but i've seen external sidechain compression on another Daw with plug-in that does't allow; in Reaper s.c. comp. is only possible if vst can (4 input\output on top-right fx window)...is it right?
trinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
tyllmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinita View Post
i've seen external sidechain compression on another Daw with plug-in that does't allow
Where? How does that work?
tyllmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
trinita

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyllmusic View Post
On Pro Tools with R-comp Waves;
he clicks on sidechain button on Pro Tools fx window, so receives external signal and compress.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
tyllmusic

I don't have R-Comp, but H-Comp: No side-chain controls, but you it has a side-chain input. I'd assume it's the same for R-Comp. So it's side-chain compatibility is just hidden. But you can see it has a 4 inputs and 2 outputs.
tyllmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
domzy

One of the cool things about Reaper is the "Audio Control Signal" option in parameter modulation - this enables you to sidechain pretty much anything, even if it's a plugin wth just two inputs.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #6
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyllmusic View Post
As long as you set your track up for multiple inputs you can use an audio signal to modulate any parameter, whether the plugin has sidechain inputs or not.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
trinita

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
As long as you set your track up for multiple inputs you can use an audio signal to modulate any parameter, whether the plugin has sidechain inputs or not.
how can you external sidechain if you don't have 3 and 4 aux channels to send signal to?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
Fergler

Quote:
how can you external sidechain if you don't have 3 and 4 aux channels to send signal to?
The signal flow in Reaper is per-channel.

So in the case of parameter modulation, the plugin doesn't even have to see 3/4. You could use any channels you want. Parameter modulation is acted on the plugin by Reaper.

You mentioned Waves RComp earlier, that is a plugin with built in sidechain feature but no reference to it in the UI. It simply needs channel 3/4 in Reaper or the equivalent in other DAWs (I believe it's called the 'key' signal in Pro Tools)
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
trinita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
The signal flow in Reaper is per-channel.

So in the case of parameter modulation, the plugin doesn't even have to see 3/4. You could use any channels you want. Parameter modulation is acted on the plugin by Reaper.

You mentioned Waves RComp earlier, that is a plugin with built in sidechain feature but no reference to it in the UI. It simply needs channel 3/4 in Reaper or the equivalent in other DAWs (I believe it's called the 'key' signal in Pro Tools)
I've just tried to verify Rcomp; if you can't set aux channels 3\4, compressor automatically follow the own track signal, so you can't use external sidechain, but you can with the 'key' signal in Pro Tools.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #10
Judders

I believe you have to use the VST3 version for this to work. I just tried it with RVox. Open the plugin, click on "2 in 2 out" at the top of the plugin window and enable inputs 3 and 4, click-drag the routing button from your key (routing button in the TCP track header from the track you want to trigger the side chain) onto the plugin window. Your plugin should now be setup with side chain input from your selected key source.

If you press the "+" button in the input/output window, more stereo pairs of I/O are added, so it looks as if you can sum input from multiple side chain keys. Not had time to test this though.

Last edited by Judders; 11-20-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
sisaso

I am working with VST3 Waves Plugins. There are 2 Aux Inputs in H-Comp for sidechaining.Same with DPR 402.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #12
trinita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I believe you have to use the VST3 version for this to work. I just tried it with RVox. Open the plugin, click on "2 in 2 out" at the top of the plugin window and enable inputs 3 and 4, click-drag the routing button from your key (routing button in the TCP track header from the track you want to trigger the side chain) onto the plugin window. Your plugin should now be setup with side chain input from your selected key source.

If you press the "+" button in the input/output window, more stereo pairs of I/O are added, so it looks as if you can sum input from multiple side chain keys. Not had time to test this though.
Tested this also, as i expected, if you add 3\4 i\o you hear both your track and the external audio, for this reason you need auxiliary channels;
maybe Pro Tools has not special ability, but the answer is
using VST3 plugins...
Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
Judders

Quote:
Tested this also, as i expected, if you add 3\4 i\o you hear both your track and the external audio, for this reason you need auxiliary channels;
maybe Pro Tools has not special ability, but the answer is
using VST3 plugins...
Only add 3/4 to the input, not the output. If you don't want to hear the key track at all, alt/option-click its routing button to disable master/parent send.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote