Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
Rosetree
Human being with feelings

Default How do I do this? Unlock and arm the track you selected and leave the rest locked?

Hello!

I am trying to create a custom action so that only the track I select will unlock and arm on its own and as soon as I move to another track, it automatically unarms and locks (meaning track lock) itself.

I am trying to achieve this using the cycle actions included in the SWS extensions (not sure if this is the right approach to begin with ) using the statements available, but I don't know how to get the end result I want.

I thought it would be really neat if only the track I am working on at the time is unlocked and ready to be worked on while all other unselected tracks remain intact.

If anybody has an idea for the correct set of actions and statements, it would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

Last edited by Rosetree; 11-16-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
nait

Not sure about the locking part, but if you select all the tracks, then right click and pick Automatic Record-Arm When Track Selected, it will do the arming/unarming part you're looking for automatically... i.e., select a track, it arms that track and disarms the other tracks (as long as they have this same automatic arm setting). Just beware that this option in the menu is actually a toggle.. so if you select stuff that was set up to auto arm already and pick that option, it will disable the auto arming.

You know that your tracks are good to go when you see the Record Arm/Disarm red dot on the left has an A in it. I am not sure if there's something in the preferences to automatically do this setting for you on all tracks, but if there is, I can't find it (And it would be nice if there was one!)

The track locking part I'm not sure on though.

Edit: Also, I see in the actions there is a "Track: Set automatic record-arm when track selected" which might help with what you're doing too. For me, I just now made a toolbar button so I can just Ctrl-A all tracks and set them to auto-arm (Rather than toggle, as mentioned earlier).
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-15-2019 at 10:55 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #3
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
You know that your tracks are good to go when you see the Record Arm/Disarm red dot on the left has an A in it. I am not sure if there's something in the preferences to automatically do this setting for you on all tracks, but if there is, I can't find it (And it would be nice if there was one!)
It's possible to set this a default for new Tracks via the Record config settings under Preferences > Project > Track/Send Defaults:

Old 11-16-2019, 12:47 AM   #4
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
It's possible to set this a default for new Tracks via the Record config settings under Preferences > Project > Track/Send Defaults:
Excellent.. thank you!! I was in that screen, but didn't think of going in that dropdown.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:53 AM   #5
solger

Possible Custom Actions for the track locking could look something like this.

Only unlock the track under the mouse
Code:
Track: select all tracks
Track: Lock track controls
Track: Select track under mouse
Track: Unlock track controls

Only unlock & arm the track under the mouse
Code:
Track: Set automatic record-arm when track selected
Then assign the Custom Action to a key shortcut. Or use it as Mouse Modifier for [Track][left click] (for clicking on a track in the arrangement area).

---------------------

Some general side notes:
  • There are also other Track Lock Actions available, like Track: Lock/unlock track height which might be worth adding
  • It's probably possible to also make an adapted version which works for the [Track control panel][double click] Mouse Modifier
  • Can't remember exactly, but customizing the Left Click behavior for 'Track control panel' would probably require having a (click listener) script running in the background - since there's no Mouse Modifier available for that

Last edited by solger; 11-16-2019 at 01:38 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:52 AM   #6
Rosetree

Default Thank you!!

The following set of actions bound as one custom action works like a charm
and it is almost exactly what I had in mind!!

Only unlock & arm the track under the mouse
Code:
Track: Set automatic record-arm when track selected
I tend to be rather careless and unawarely move things or change fader positions or mute/solo tracks or delete items that I don't want to make any changes to. By utilizing this custom action, the likelihood of such unintended results would be minimized, I am sure.

Once again, thank you so much for your quick and kind input!

Rosetree
Old 11-16-2019, 01:55 AM   #7
solger

Great
Old 11-16-2019, 01:56 AM   #8
Rosetree

Default Thank you to everyone else as well!

Thank you so much for showing me all these different settings that I can tweak.
I actually knew about the automatic rec enable function as well as the toggle for locking and unlocking track control, however, I just did not know how to go about combining them in such a manner that only the track I select "gets open for editing" while other tracks remain "nonchalant"

Once again, thank you and this forum is such a wonderful place for sharing knowledge on Reaper.

Have a great day!

Rosetree