Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-01-2020, 11:52 PM   #1
georgemickel
Human being with feelings

Default Win 10 Pro, iPad and 10Touchosc, controls iPad not Reaper

In short, I'm not adept at figuring out what my problem is but no matter what I do, with Touchosc it controls my iPad Pro 12.9 2018 (the reverse of what I need). I've been watching countless youtube videos, verbatim settings done exactly as shown, reading as much as possible here on the forum, searching for anything "Win10, Firewall,iPad,Touchosc related" before posting.

It has to be something stupid on my part. Can someone with a Windows 10 Pro, iPad Pro and Touchosc and Touchosc Bridge paid versions please explain, step by step instructions? I've lost countless hours in fear of posting here because I don't get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1A603E6C-8C2C-47E5-BE22-E2E3939AE1C9.jpeg (33.7 KB, 193 views)
georgemickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
georgemickel

Forgot to mention...none of the buttons on the iPad Pro work, the transport is ticking away because I pressed the space bar on the pc and can watch it on the iPad. This is over wifi on my home studio network, not connected usb (which also did the same thing). I found this and wonder if it is what I'm supposed to install, but haven't tried it yet.

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

Found this one on YouTube...
"you need to install TouchOSC Bridge, enable the midi output in the application, and enable input in Reaper's settings > MIDI devices"

https://youtu.be/dCd0Wh_fK7k

Last edited by georgemickel; 01-02-2020 at 02:54 AM. Reason: More information found to help me and anyone else
Old 01-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
georgemickel

Here's my updated info regarding iPad, TouchOSC, TouchOSC Bridge, Reaper ver 6.02, and Windows 10 Pro on wifi home studio network.

I still haven't found a solution for TouchOSC and Reaper working as expected. After setting it up the way it's supposed to, ie controlling Reaper from the iPad remotely, it works in the reverse order.Whatever I press on my iPad, does nothing, totally dead but if I press the space bar or scroll in any direction etc on my pc using Reaper, my iPad emulates what is happening on my desktop. Again, it's obvious that I'm missing a few steps that I can't figure out. I'm asking for help.

For what it's worth the downloadable remote apps for Studio One 4.5 and Fruity Loops work as expected, right away, with no hesitation. What I've attached is a screenshot from my iPad remotely connected to Reaper. My tracks finally are named, transport moving, upper right corner red and green light blinking and yet nothing works on the iPad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NiZ9T9J.jpg (35.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 01-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Fedor

Hello, I had a similar issue, and the solution is to allow Reaper to communicate in a private network via Windows Firewall.

Unfortunately I can't give you a step-by-step guide or screenshots, because my system language isn't English. However, here's a link to get you started: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/win...wall-settings/
Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
georgemickel

Hi Fedor,

Thank you so much for your reply. I did some basic firewall changes prior to my second post. I will take a look at the link above and post my findings.

G
Old 01-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
Fedor

There's no need for TouchOsc Bridge or virtual midi ports, since when set up as OSC control surface, Reaper and TouchOsc communicate via OSC, not via midi. Unless you'll make a midi template.
Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:24 AM   #7
georgemickel

I didn't know that. As for right now, even though I went into my network settings, enabled private network, allowing Reaper and tried..nothing works for my iPad to control Reaper using TouchOSC. Unless someone who can show screenshots here in English, I'll stick with web browser remote. Thanks again for your help Fedor.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:02 AM   #8
GeckoLikesMartini

Hi, the picture in your first post is to small for me to read properly, but there seem to be ip-adresses in different networks ?

And to further investigate maybe you could try Protokol from hexler.net to see if osc is received by your computer.

Regards, mj
GeckoLikesMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:49 AM   #9
georgemickel

Here's a new screenshot. Are you referring to --> device ip and local ip addresses in Reaper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X8cPOgu.jpg (38.5 KB, 182 views)
Old 01-04-2020, 04:18 AM   #10
GeckoLikesMartini

Hi, yes, those ip-adresses and ports are correct and correspond with the settings in the touch-osc-app ? And, if I understand correct... outgoing works ? If you click on the "Listen" button in this reaper-window and move some faders on your iPad, do you see incoming data ?

Regards, mj
Old 01-04-2020, 04:42 AM   #11
georgemickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoLikesMartini View Post
Hi, yes, those ip-adresses and ports are correct and correspond with the settings in the touch-osc-app ? And, if I understand correct... outgoing works ? If you click on the "Listen" button in this reaper-window and move some faders on your iPad, do you see incoming data ?

Regards, mj
No, I don't see anything transmitting using the "Listen" dialog in Reaper. I've tried numerous times and nothing has ever transmitted. I know it has to be something I've yet to get right, because I've been mystified for weeks with Reaper controlling the iPad without the iPad controlling Reaper It's obvious that the iPad isn't able to get through Windows, whether it be network, firewall or something I haven't tried.

What really amazes me, is all the YouTube videos I've seen, they demonstrate doing as suggested without ever mentioning "Windows weirdness, firewall, port opening, suggesting TouchOSC Bridge too, when not necessary"

I'm sure the forum wizards are hoping I figure this conundrum out but maybe I'm just daft.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:04 AM   #12
GeckoLikesMartini

Hi, that's my quick setup (see attachment). What puzzles me are the different networks of your devices (iPad: 192.168.1.9, Reaper: 172.21.32.233). Don't know if touchOSC works with devices in different networks ?

Regards, mj

Last edited by GeckoLikesMartini; 07-17-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #13
georgemickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoLikesMartini View Post
Hi, that's my quick setup (see attachment). What puzzles me are the different networks of your devices (iPad: 192.168.1.9, Reaper: 172.21.32.233). Don't know if touchOSC works with devices in different networks ?

Regards, mj
You were absolutely correct GeckoLikesMartini! I was wondering the same thing and all is working as it should be. I restarted my iPad and PC, checked ip's, changed TouchOSC based on the attachment you provided, Windows Firewall set to Private , along with these Reaper settings -->

Control Surface Settings
OSC (Open Source Control)

Pattern config = LogicPad

Device port = 9000 192.168.1.9

Local listen port = 8000 192.168.1.6

I want to thank both of you for helping me!

Kind regards,
George
Old 01-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #14
GeckoLikesMartini

Cool!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #15
Fedor

Great!