Old 05-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #321
Kihoalu
Human being with feelings

These Daze I am perfecting the art of Procrastinating-in-Place!

I used to be into Cohabitating,
now I am more into Covidabating.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #322
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I dug up something old that inspired me but Idk if I'll finish by the weekend...Here's hoping!

If I get it to a good place, I'll put my progress up here for feedback, tho the thread's gotten pretty quiet lately.

Yea, sometimes I get a lot done on random stuff when I'm procrastinating an important project.

Sometimes I can direct that momentum back to it, but most of the time I just really enjoy endless improvisation with no pressure to record any of it. Never felt like a waste of time anyway.
Use the 'post your own music' section of the site instead. You'll likely get loads more feedback.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #323
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
How many of us procrastinators have actually had radio plays of anything?
Well when I was in bands we got some local radio play. I didn't get the thrill of catching it unawares, but some friends did.

Once we got invited to do a live set but only 2/5 could make it and I got too drunk during the interview and forgot how to play guitar.

I guess that's one nice thing about playing shows tho is that people get to hear your music even if you never finish mixing or bother recording it.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #324
ivansc

Proud to be joining you, Fox!
Old 05-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #325
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kihoalu View Post

These Daze I am perfecting the art of Procrastinating-in-Place!

I used to be into Cohabitating,
now I am more into Covidabating.

I love your sig...
Old 05-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #326
maxdembo

Quote:
How many of us procrastinators have actually had radio plays of anything?https://cambridge105.co.uk/
Congrats! That must feel good

I had one bit of play on local streaming radio (?) when my collaborator at the time was being interviewed about his piano playing.

I dropped all procrastination to get one of our songs finished in time for the live interview to air, and was very happy with the finished piece. I mastered/produced it specifically, meticulously, so that it would sound good on low quality streaming.

My collaborator decided he didnt like it, took the unfinished mix instead and had them play that.

It sounded truly awful, not even in a 'thats not MY mix' way but in a way that it just sounded inept and dreadful, and totally unfinished. Really bad.

Oh well Im not bitter
Old 05-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #327
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Congrats! That must feel good

I had one bit of play on local streaming radio (?) when my collaborator at the time was being interviewed about his piano playing.

I dropped all procrastination to get one of our songs finished in time for the live interview to air, and was very happy with the finished piece. I mastered/produced it specifically, meticulously, so that it would sound good on low quality streaming.

My collaborator decided he didnt like it, took the unfinished mix instead and had them play that.

It sounded truly awful, not even in a 'thats not MY mix' way but in a way that it just sounded inept and dreadful, and totally unfinished. Really bad.

Oh well Im not bitter
Funny! I had almost exactly the opposite problem. I had asked for the stems for ONE track of the stuff we were recording before Covid19 shut the studio we were using down as the .wav mix I had been sent sounded like crap.
I had a nice mastering job done by one of the forum members, who did an excellent job of prettying up the wav file with little or no time to do it in.

Then at the very last minute (one day before the deadline) the studio finally sent me the stems.
I had a go at doing a decent mix but it sounded average to say the least.
I finally re-recorded the vocal, as the original had a bunch of croaks & coughs (I was sick at the time) & called one of my old Nashville buddies to see if he could help me out.

Within a day, even allowing for the 5 or 6 hour time differences, he had a really nice mix back to me. A big thank you to Joe Funderburk!!

Apparently the selection guys who decide what got included in the show liked it & another track I had submitted - recorded with a slightly different lineup - well enough that they included both tracks. Lucky me.

Afterwards, I got talking to one of the selection crew who said they had all been highly amused by the track Joe did - suggesting that I aim the marketing at the BDSM crowd - but decided to include it even though the show airs before the watershed.

You couldn`t make this stuff up, could you?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:34 AM   #328
maxdembo

Quote:
Funny! I had almost exactly the opposite problem. I had asked for the stems for ONE track of the stuff we were recording before Covid19 shut the studio we were using down as the .wav mix I had been sent sounded like crap.
I had a nice mastering job done by one of the forum members, who did an excellent job of prettying up the wav file with little or no time to do it in.

Then at the very last minute (one day before the deadline) the studio finally sent me the stems.
I had a go at doing a decent mix but it sounded average to say the least.
I finally re-recorded the vocal, as the original had a bunch of croaks & coughs (I was sick at the time) & called one of my old Nashville buddies to see if he could help me out.

Within a day, even allowing for the 5 or 6 hour time differences, he had a really nice mix back to me. A big thank you to Joe Funderburk!!

Apparently the selection guys who decide what got included in the show liked it & another track I had submitted - recorded with a slightly different lineup - well enough that they included both tracks. Lucky me.

Afterwards, I got talking to one of the selection crew who said they had all been highly amused by the track Joe did - suggesting that I aim the marketing at the BDSM crowd - but decided to include it even though the show airs before the watershed.

You couldn`t make this stuff up, could you?
Hahah, what a palaver! All worked out in the end tho, so thats cool. Its good to hear things working out for people

My deadline of June 1st draws ever closer. I've done naff all so far, and I've now got two videos I've promised to other people and a remix to do.

They're all gonna be so disappointed when I get round to doing nothing

I guess I should set deadlines for myself. So...

Friday 5th of June is the deadline I'm setting for the remix.
Monday for the two videos I want to do (very basic demos of my set up).
And Monday is my deadline for the current remix I'm working on for myself.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #329
zeekat

Quote:
"Whip Yo Gimp" LP available only in the finest dungeons!

I thinking about setting some deadline for the latest thing I'm trying to develop, but I make myself tired just thinking about it so meh. Maybe I should set myself a deadline for setting a deadline.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:10 AM   #330
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
"Whip Yo Gimp" LP available only in the finest dungeons!

At least I have a name for the album now!

When I get around to finishing it....
Old 06-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #331
maxdembo

I've done fuck all!

My deadline is in 2 hours, and I've done nothing. I'm giving myself an extension to the weekend coming.

Tho I finally have everything patched together and working. Gonna start writing a new track tonight, purely for a live recording.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:27 PM   #332
foxAsteria

Well I'm sick of failing, so gonna call this done for now. I kept wanting to record new parts while trying to do a final mix, so may well come back and revive it later...

But I haven't posted anything in a while and this is much different than what I've posted in the last year, so here's Deep Into The Doldrums...

https://soundcloud.com/wyyyrd/deep-i...-doldrums-1-21

Was super depressed when I started it, but I'm much less so of late, so maybe it got a bit less dreary? Still chaotic and disorienting though, I'd say...
Old 06-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #333
ivansc

Wow, you got that right, Fox!!! Truly desafinado among other things, but in a good way.
I found myself cringing right along with you. My brother is now in the last days of a brain tumour ending him & this track has really resonated.

Probably not the best endorsement you could expect, but sincere nonetheless.
Glad you are coming out of it!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #334
Pink Wool

Quote:
Well I'm sick of failing, so gonna call this done for now. I kept wanting to record new parts while trying to do a final mix, so may well come back and revive it later...

But I haven't posted anything in a while and this is much different than what I've posted in the last year, so here's Deep Into The Doldrums...

Was super depressed when I started it, but I'm much less so of late, so maybe it got a bit less dreary? Still chaotic and disorienting though, I'd say...
Whoa! That's really good! Like, REALLY good! How come I can't find you on Spotify?
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:33 AM   #335
foxAsteria

Quote:
Probably not the best endorsement you could expect, but sincere nonetheless.
Sincerity's about all I really hope for from feedback, so thank you, but sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he's not suffering too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
How come I can't find you on Spotify?
Heheh, thanks m8! That's a whole new level of finishing things tho and I'm really bad at finishing things... I'll enable downloads later if you want. Can you say what other artists does my track remind you of? Just wondering...
Old 06-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #336
maxdembo

Well, I did two rehearsals last night. I have created an awesome ambient noise machine that I can leave to self generate or change over time, or I can interfere with it.

Both rehearsals I found to be very exciting and good and was listening to what sounded like power lines converging and carrying enormous amounts of electricity. Just sat immersed in it for hours

One day I'll hit the record button!

So I didnt hit any deadlines but it still spurned me on to doing something.

I think my problem is giving myself too much time, pre deadline, when the problem is just getting started. So, I'm going back to short deadlines.

By Monday June 8th, I need something have something to show for myself. New deadline. Next monday.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #337
maxdembo

Fox...

This track is fantastic! You want a remix doing?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #338
prom

Quote:
was listening to what sounded like power lines converging and carrying enormous amounts of electricity. Just sat immersed in it for hours

One day I'll hit the record button!

Have you ever thought about just writing a book instead???!!!
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #339
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
Have you ever thought about just writing a book instead???!!!
Screenplay and comic script, yes, book, no
Old 06-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #340
zeekat

Quote:

Sounds a bit like more seasick version of Alessandro Cortini's SONOIO, if I had to pull a comparison. Dude has similar metallic, brittle vibe. Nice.

And sorry to hear, Ivan, that sounds rough.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #341
ivansc

Quote:
Sincerity's about all I really hope for from feedback, so thank you, but sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he's not suffering too much.
I spoke to my nephew tonight & he says Bry probably has a day or two left at the most. Glad to say that he has been pain free once he had the initial surgery all the way through. Hard to deal with & hard to say but I am kinda relieved that his troubles will soon be over. Last time I spoke with him he could still smile & said a couple of words, which is a happy memory to carry forward.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #342
ivansc

Thanks, Zeek! Part of me wants to say 70 is way too young to die, but there again I am 76 next Saturday. Just seems unfair that my brother is going when he is so much younger than me.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #343
foxAsteria

Quote:
You want a remix doing?
Thanks dude, so you wanna do a total remix or just mix it better? I can get you rendered tracks or stems if you want, no problem.

So I see you're into Ninja Tunes...that's actually what got me turned on to electronic music in the first place...also DJ Shadow, but at the same time.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:43 PM   #344
Pink Wool

Quote:
Can you say what other artists does my track remind you of? Just wondering...
Nothing straight away. I hear hints of Crystal Castles, just because of the vocal processing. It's a really nice, dark vibe you got going on in the song! Hopefully you'll release a single or an ep!
Old 06-03-2020, 08:14 AM   #345
maxdembo

Quote:
Thanks dude, so you wanna do a total remix or just mix it better? I can get you rendered tracks or stems if you want, no problem.

So I see you're into Ninja Tunes...that's actually what got me turned on to electronic music in the first place...also DJ Shadow, but at the same time.
Do you have a preference? Considering the amount going on in the track, an actual remix would be easier, but if you want me to try a mix of it, thats something I can attempt, tho the mix sounds more than fine to me tbh

Personally, I'd go remix, but I dont mind if you have a preference
Old 06-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #346
foxAsteria

Quote:
Personally, I'd go remix, but I dont mind if you have a preference
Cool I'll make you some stems this weekend but without any expectations, knowing you're a procrastinator like me...

Quote:
Nothing straight away. I hear hints of Crystal Castles, just because of the vocal processing. It's a really nice, dark vibe you got going on in the song! Hopefully you'll release a single or an ep!
Ah I've heard of them, but not too familiar. The vox aren't actually processed much (just pitch envelopes mostly), they're totally synthetic: https://microsoft-talkit-plus.software.informer.com/

But yea, I still plan to release some albums. I have 2 full electronic ones just waiting for me to buckle down and final-mix them and another dark post rock one which I will probably finish first.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-03-2020 at 06:39 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:34 AM   #347
Pink Wool

Quote:
Ah I've heard of them, but not too familiar. The vox aren't actually processed much (just pitch envelopes mostly), they're totally synthetic: https://microsoft-talkit-plus.software.informer.com/

But yea, I still plan to release some albums. I have 2 full electronic ones just waiting for me to buckle down and final-mix them and another dark post rock one which I will probably finish first.
Interesting! Would you be open sharing how the vocals were made? I mean, the processing?

Good to hear you've got stuff coming out! I'll be waiting!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #348
foxAsteria

Quote:
Interesting! Would you be open sharing how the vocals were made? I mean, the processing?
You just type the words you want into that TalkIt! program, choose a voice style and sometimes it'll randomly sing cool melodies for you. If not, I just use take pitch envelopes to get the notes I want and I use stretch markers to sync the timing.

The only real processing was some compression and of course the heavy delay with minimal feedback. The delay was my current favorite, T-Racks Tape Echo.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:49 AM   #349
zeekat

I have a sequel of an older track going, just need a weekend to retrack instruments properly and two weeks to make a video with it (I make as many video revisions as mix ones). I can haz Jun 21st deadline?

Working title "Zero Crossing pt. 1 1/2". Will try to use more kung fu movie clips than usual.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #350
Jorgen

Quote:
Fox, that is really good.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #351
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Fox, that is really good.
Fanks, Bruvah!
Old 06-06-2020, 01:08 AM   #352
ivansc

Default Happy Birthday to me & a REMINDER

After a long period of "the dog ate my homework" etc., dont forget you can all hear some of what I have been working on since last August on cambridge105.co.uk this afternoon between 4 and 5 pm, GMT. Sorry I cant get closer than that to thte time but it is a one hour segment of an all day broadcast of a virtual Strawberry Fair festival, which should have been going on all day today. Everyone booked to play the festival was asked to contribute a couple of tracks for the show, which I did.

Listen out for Skivin` Ivan & The Slackers playing "Mama`s in control tonight" and The "I`ve got the take me down to LOndon in your Morris Thousand Traveller" blues.... One of them I wrote recently & the other waaay back in the 1970s. And on that second one, bass player is Lee Cave-Berry who was co-bassist with me in my band Blotto at the time I wrote the song & her husband, Kim Rew, who is an old pal & a great guitarist.

EDIT:

Ah well.... the Kim & Lee track got cut due to overrunning but at least Mamas in control tonight sounded OK & went down very well. The introductions and between-songs banter between my bass player & Justine, landlady of the Flying Pig pub, was hilarious!

Last edited by ivansc; 06-06-2020 at 12:16 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:58 AM   #353
zeekat

Belated happy birthday to you! I'd probably find the programme on their website, but its kinda confusing.

In much less glamour realm of desktop non-showbiz productions, I completed retracks of all my parts as planned. Also took a gamble and upgraded my copy of Vegas to 17, and wow, it only crashed twice during whole day of dicking around with many HD clips. Marked improvement, 16 couldn't survive half a minute with GPU enabled even if all the source clips were neatly rendered into proxies.

I feel like it's almost finished. So easily at least a week of obsessive corrections ahead.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #354
ivansc

Excellent, Zeekat! Have fun with it./ My finger feels like it is slowly healing so I am ready to get on with finishing off the rest of the tracks. Also waiting for stems of the other studio tracks we already did, but nervous about how crap I am at mixing and mastering compared to the pros.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #355
maxdembo

Congrats to Ivan and Zeekat on getting some work done! And Ivan on the radio fame

Happy birthday, Ivan!

I have one new demo first version done, from a live hardware/software jam. The jam was 90 minutes and I learnt a lot from trying to shape any of it into an actual track. As usual, I've gotten stuck at needing to do all the finishing up, finish the bassline, sequence the drums and other elements in a more perfect way, add chords, percussion and all the other stuff I usually want to add but then I leave the track unfinished instead.

This time next week... guitars/chords need to be done. Same position I was in when I started using this thread. Ho hum.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:03 AM   #356
ivansc

@Maxdembo For what it is worth, I have spent years recording takes & being dissatisfied with the overall track.
And then I delete the lot and start again.

I am now slowly moving to polishing the turd if the basic groove is what I want, but boy it`s hard to break old bad habits.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #357
maxdembo

Quote:
@Maxdembo For what it is worth, I have spent years recording takes & being dissatisfied with the overall track.
And then I delete the lot and start again.

I am now slowly moving to polishing the turd if the basic groove is what I want, but boy it`s hard to break old bad habits.
Turd polishing is what I'm used to doing, now I'm trying shit just a little bit more gold from the off by using hardware Its working to a degree, but as you say, old habits die hard. I'm terrible on all instruments anyway so maybe I should just hire a guitarist instead
Old 06-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #358
zeekat

As expected, thought I was done a week ago, but re-edited the vid a ton yesterday. There's kung fu movies pasted in random places to divert the attention from the fact I play keyboard hunt and peck style. Guitar too, really, just faster.

Last edited by zeekat; 06-14-2020 at 07:56 AM.
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #359
foxAsteria

Hey Zeekat are you doing those vids in Reaper too?

Really dig the solo when all the rhythm drops out. I liked that whole second half from there a lot. The slower rhythm was more my style I guess than the faster parts before.

Mix-wise the synths in are kinda conflicting with the bass tho I think, making them both a bit hard to discern.

Impressed and a little jealous how much you're able to remember in order to play all those tracks live like that.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #360
foxAsteria

Quote:
As usual, I've gotten stuck at needing to do all the finishing up, finish the bassline, sequence the drums and other elements in a more perfect way.
One thing I can recommend for that is to, at a certain point make a habit of doing things to polish the song immediately. I mean, when you have enough ideas for a whole track recorded, you can switch to the mode of being critical and ditching what's not worth keeping, and mercilessly redoing turds that need too much polish.

I find I can get caught up in just listening and forget to do things I think to do unless I immediately stop the song and do them right then. Once I made that habit, the refining process became a lot faster. Too much listening makes it hard to hear what sucks too, cos you just get used to hearing it.

Procrastination there is pretty easy to overcome; you just have to be a bit brutal and usually it helps to put the song a side a while to regain your objectivity. That's sort of a time test too, to see if the idea was good enough to even keep me interested in finishing it at a later date, when I'm less attached.

Quote:
This time next week... guitars/chords need to be done. Same position I was in when I started using this thread. Ho hum.
So is that a second extension of your original deadline to finish less than you started out to? Well, baby steps are the way to mastery, eh? I might eventually have to get around to failing you at some point tho...