Old 12-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #401
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
feedback routing, You can send midi to kontakt and receive back audio from kontakt on same track.

Another way would be build audio outs to external tracks and control midi only on Kontakt track.
Thanks for the animated gif how to's! I finally have it working on an orchestral project I'm working on with 16 tracks of orchestral instruments.

Part of my issue was trying to have Kontakt on a folder track, and the midi/audio tracks as child tracks.

I like this way of doing it a lot better than having 33 tracks for 16 instruments. Much cleaner and functions like having individual VSTi's.

Thanks again!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #402
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thanks for the animated gif how to's! I finally have it working on an orchestral project I'm working on with 16 tracks of orchestral instruments.

Part of my issue was trying to have Kontakt on a folder track, and the midi/audio tracks as child tracks.

I like this way of doing it a lot better than having 33 tracks for 16 instruments. Much cleaner and functions like having individual VSTi's.

Thanks again!
No problem.

It is possible also to using folder but you must leave channels 1-2 always free and start routing from channels 3-4.

@edit Sorry, to use folders you must do some complicated routing because it seems all tracks in folder sends 1st midi channel by default.

Avoiding complex routing there is a easier way... to use midi channels so instrument1 use first midi channel, instrument 2 use second midi channel.

@edit2
Looks like everything is possible, just must leave 1-2 chan. to hear stereo mix.

Last edited by strachupl; 12-08-2017 at 09:47 PM.
strachupl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:59 AM   #403
The Byre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
click tracks in music represent the dehumanisation of rhythm as part of the industrialisation process. Working to a click is absurd in many traditions eg Flamenco Working to a rhythm track makes more sense musically in most cases.
We've had click tracks in one form or another, more or less since the dawn of mankind. The modern metronome dates back to 1815.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:37 AM   #404
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
We've had click tracks in one form or another, more or less since the dawn of mankind. The modern metronome dates back to 1815.
1815 ?
seems a little recent to me for "dawn of mankind", (what a strange term to use) but 1815 is well within the timeframe for the industrialisation of music.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #405
reapercurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I want a subscription model!!!!

Enough with this $60 stuff. What are we Richie Rich?

I want to pay $5 a month. Less than a pot of coffee!!!
my point is that Reaper 5 will be hard to top. It will take a lifetime just to learn it the way it is, not being sarcastic or a cheapskate.

besides that, what is the endgame, in all seriousness, for incrementing whole digits on software? do we get to Reaper 12 and start over like a clock face, or are we on military time for example and go to Reaper 24? (that was a bit tongue in cheek)

your videos are awesome.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #406
Colox

I'd rather pay $60 for Reaper and get a subscription on my fav coffee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
..do we get to Reaper 12 and start over like a clock face?
No. After v10, Reaper will have matured enough to enter 'the next level' of it's evolutionary journey. It will then no longer be a Reaper, but have reached the level of Slayer! Moaahaha

Last edited by Colox; 12-09-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #407
tusitala

Answering the main question of this topic's the first post, I think the most important thing I would focus in version 6 is the ability to have multiple linked midi editors open at the same time:

I explained and described it thoroughly in this thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=184238
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #408
ajawamnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
Answering the main question of this topic's the first post, I think the most important thing I would focus in version 6 is the ability to have multiple linked midi editors open at the same time:

I explained and described it thoroughly in this thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=184238
That'd be great. I also had some weird issue consolidating multiple MIDI tracks for editing akin to something like a conductor's score. Caused all kindsa playback issues. Only 4 tracks of MIDI. Not sure what was wrong...
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #409
pepe44

strachupl , that is great! Thanks for sharing.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #410
Jason Lyon

Default Minor thoughts

First off, to anyone who says "make it look/behave more like X, Y or Z" - no. REAPER is a sense the Linux of DAWs. If you want to make it like something else, you already can, pretty much. In fact, you can already make it pretty much anything you want - MyTools or Mybase, or just MyDaw...
To anyone who wants stuff bundled with it - also no. The supplied plugs are perfectly usable. Add what you want to it, and only what you want. To my mind, this is the great USP of REAPER (plus the supportive forum community of course).
I have friends who have storage drives groaning with massive packages of stuff that "came with things" and they only ever use about 10% of it. Incidentally, these are often the kind of people who are constantly complaining about running out of space...
If you suddenly find yourself minded to, or required to investigate the possibilities of traditional Korean instruments or whatever, go get em and learn on the job.

The one thing I would like is more detailed control over the tempo envelope in the master. It seems at the moment that you can only change abruptly between measures. If it can already do this, my apologies and I'd love someone to tell me how. It would brighten my day.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #411
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
First off, to anyone who says "make it look/behave more like X, Y or Z" - no. REAPER is a sense the Linux of DAWs. If you want to make it like something else, you already can, pretty much. In fact, you can already make it pretty much anything you want - MyTools or Mybase, or just MyDaw...
To anyone who wants stuff bundled with it - also no. The supplied plugs are perfectly usable. Add what you want to it, and only what you want. To my mind, this is the great USP of REAPER (plus the supportive forum community of course).
I have friends who have storage drives groaning with massive packages of stuff that "came with things" and they only ever use about 10% of it. Incidentally, these are often the kind of people who are constantly complaining about running out of space...
If you suddenly find yourself minded to, or required to investigate the possibilities of traditional Korean instruments or whatever, go get em and learn on the job.

The one thing I would like is more detailed control over the tempo envelope in the master. It seems at the moment that you can only change abruptly between measures. If it can already do this, my apologies and I'd love someone to tell me how. It would brighten my day.
But if you are planning on buying a guitar, don't even consider one if it doesn't come with 10 FX pedals, a guitar stand, gig bag, all necessary cabling, and an amp! Why would anybody want to have to go through the daunting task of choosing FX or the amp they will use with a new guitar?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #412
dukati

I get what you are saying Jason, but I would like Reaper to comp takes more like studio one.

Thats it.

Steve
dukati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:11 AM   #413
Arionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukati View Post
I get what you are saying Jason, but I would like Reaper to comp takes more like studio one.

Thats it.

Steve
+1
I'm new to Reaper and I am excited for this amazing DAW but the only thing that makes my life harder comparing to Logic, Pro Tools and Studio One, is the takes comping.
Another one thing that I'd like to see is a smoother horizontally scrolling of the mixer with a trackpad.
ARA implementation too, but I see that it's coming soon!
Well, whatever else will be welcomed!
Kudos to all the people behind Reaper and special thanks to Kenny Gioia for the amazing tutorials!
Arionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #414
ericzang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
+1
I'd like to see is a smoother horizontally scrolling of the mixer with a trackpad.
There is a script for smooth scrolling. I have it applied to the mousewheel, don't know about trackpad. It needs to be downloaded from reapack and setup as a custom action, described here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=190772
ericzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #415
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post

besides that, what is the endgame, in all seriousness, for incrementing whole digits on software? do we get to Reaper 12 and start over like a clock face, or are we on military time for example and go to Reaper 24? (that was a bit tongue in cheek)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the whole numbers affect the pricing.

If you buy REAPER 5, then you're good until REAPER 7.

So I would "guess" that they decide what should be a full number release based on when people should be charged again for a license.

Quote:
your videos are awesome.
Thanks
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #416
Glennbo

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the whole numbers affect the pricing.

So I would "guess" that they decide what should be a full number release based on when people should be charged again for a license.
And for that reason, if they want to go 5.62, 5.63, 5.64, 5.65, Etc. I won't complain, although I will feel slightly guilty for getting so many updates across such a wide span of time.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #417
karbomusic

Quote:

Thanks
You are correct but from a software release perspective, build numbers often have specific meanings, A whole number change usually means major release where minor build number increments mean bug fixes, incremental changes and smaller feature additions. That can get blurry here but also aligns with "Ok there are enough big changes here, we need to bump the major build number" which happens to affect who pays or not based on the version they are currently on.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #418
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
You are correct but from a software release perspective, build numbers often have specific meanings, A whole number change usually means major release where minor build number increments mean bug fixes, incremental changes and smaller feature additions. That can get blurry here but also aligns with "Ok there are enough big changes here, we need to bump the major build number" which happens to affect who pays or not based on the version they are currently on.
This is true from what I've seen.

Unlike many other companies that are trying to increase sales, REAPER doesn't hold back great new features for a full number release. Like Automation Items or Notation Editing for example.

This is a good thing but can feel like a let down as you might not get as many big changes in the next numbered release.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #419
karbomusic

Quote:
This is true from what I've seen.

Unlike many other companies that are trying to increase sales, REAPER doesn't hold back great new features for a full number release. Like Automation Items or Notation Editing for example.

This is a good thing but can feel like a let down as you might not get as many big changes in the next numbered release.
Yea exactly, I had to word carefully because of major release type features right in the middle of V5. And if memory serves (could be wrong) the V6 beta would have appeared last December ish based on previous cadences so I had been wondering. Don't quote me on that time frame just seems like the major release cadence took a 1 year break.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #420
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Yea exactly, I had to word carefully because of major release type features right in the middle of V5. And if memory serves (could be wrong) the V6 beta would have appeared last December ish based on previous cadences so I had been wondering. Don't quote me on that time frame just seems like the major release cadence took a 1 year break.
I have no idea how they decide I just know that we get a lot more features in each version compared to other companies. Especially major ones.

They just don't line them up with major version changes as much.

Except for themes and videos.

I doubt you'll see a REAPER 5.65 Explained video series.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #421
karbomusic

Quote:
I have no idea how they decide I just know that we get a lot more features in each version compared to other companies. Especially major ones.

They just don't line them up with major version changes as much.

Except for themes and videos.

I doubt you'll see a REAPER 5.65 Explained video series.
Makes me wonder what they are going to put in V6 to oneup V5. I already know one major difference between V5 and V6...

Old 12-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #422
Glennbo

Quote:
Makes me wonder what they are going to put in V6 to oneup V5. I already know one major difference between V5 and V6...

ARA support?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #423
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
ARA support?
That's only going to be available in REAPER Pro!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #424
SoulOne82

Quote:
REAPER Pro
ZHUT UPP AND TAYJK MA MONEYY!!!
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:27 AM   #425
ivansc

Quote:
ARA support?
Whilst I would hardly call this a major new feature, it does appear to be causing a minor stir among a tiny but voluble group on here. Particularly since its already in the pre versions....
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 AM   #426
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
The supplied plugs are perfectly usable.
*Cough.comz* - i do not agree with this^.. reasamplomatic 5000 is in serious need of an overhaul-- it's broken,and broken for a long time--- with no users reporting this either-- this is a native plugin- and 1 of the very few stock cockos plugs that actually 'generate or playback' audio. I'm thinking this broken list could be extensive...not good.
Recently wanted to patch this device,but have had to give up on that-needs repair to continue making any presets for it...

TBCH- i would rather cockos stop and take stock-- = get all they have right now in total harmony and top working order-- <then> move onto the next batch of features.
I love new features-- but i also love things that actually work.
I think the list of bugs only increase because an engine needs stabilizing before supercharging. =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:14 AM   #427
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
*Cough.comz* - i do not agree with this^.. reasamplomatic 5000 is in serious need of an overhaul-- it's broken,and broken for a long time--- with no users reporting this either-- this is a native plugin- and 1 of the very few stock cockos plugs that actually 'generate or playback' audio. I'm thinking this broken list could be extensive...not good.
Recently wanted to patch this device,but have had to give up on that-needs repair to continue making any presets for it...

TBCH- i would rather cockos stop and take stock-- = get all they have right now in total harmony and top working order-- <then> move onto the next batch of features.
I think the list of bugs only increase because an engine needs stabilizing before supercharging. =)
For me rs5000 is good, just need some attention from time to time to upgrade it with some features like portamento.
Now, musician/user/producer when first launch DAW is expecting to play something, make sound. Reaper has not any samples so some usable synth would fill this gap perfectly, specially combined with good sampler.
Reasytnh or Reasynthdrums like I said before are useless garbage. Every DAW has its own decent synth that is DAWs showcase, Reasynth is aint best one for Reaper.
Eq, comp, xcomp, fir, surround, delay and few others are more than solid (for me awesome).
strachupl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #428
Flavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
I'd drop all 32 bit versions and drop support for ancient operating systems like Windows XP and Mac OS-X older than, say, 10.11.
Fortunately you are not the CEO of the DEV team.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:07 AM   #429
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
I'd drop all 32 bit versions and drop support for ancient operating systems like Windows XP and Mac OS-X older than, say, 10.11.
Fortunately you are not the CEO of the DEV team.
I know I was really happy to have a lightweight daw to run on an old xp pc when my main computer went down. I'm pretty sure there are still a significant user base who dont upgrade their computer on a regular basis. Is it that much work to keep Reaper running for older computers/OS ?
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #430
mschnell

Quote:
reasamplomatic 5000 is in serious need of an overhaul
What exactly makes reasamplomatic more attractive than any of the free (say Sound Font) players available ?

Thanks for explanation,
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #431
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
What exactly makes reasamplomatic more attractive than any of the free (say Sound Font) players available ?

Thanks for explanation,
-Michael
I was wondering that too. I really don't want Cockos to start being an instruments and plugins developer. I much prefer to select my own and not have my DAW provider doing it for me.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #432
Sound asleep

I don't think there is much chance of reasamplomatic5000 getting a lot of attention from the devs at this point.

They do an incredible amount of good work, but I think to get something like that to be really on a level where it would be a good replacement for 3rd party plugins, would be way too much work for a small team. They'd have to put everything else on the back burner for a while, imo.

To me, especially with things like the free kontakt player being available, there is no reason for them to spend so much time on that.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #433
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
TBH- rs5k is not actually that attractive to programme,or use {imo} - it just is- old--but it is a native '1 shot sample player'.
Just needs some attention/repair perhaps.. >we could offer cherries and grapes_ to attract developer repair department attentions. =)

Quote:
To me, especially with things like the free kontakt player being available, there is no reason for them to spend so much time on that.
Why not keep some stuff totally 'native'? 3rd party softwares are otherwise essential -right? no?
Also think cockos are doing an incredible job maintaining the amount already on offer-the list of features and functions is huge if totalled!..but-- this is not an excuse for stuff that plain needs fixing__ as they do come as part of default installer...>yo? // no?
Who quite knows what these guyz have in mind..... hold tight i reckon.. future looks very promising.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #434
Sound asleep

Quote:

Why not keep some stuff totally 'native'? 3rd party softwares are otherwise essential -right? no?
Also think cockos are doing an incredible job maintaining the amount already on offer-the list of features and functions is huge if totalled!..but-- this is not an excuse for stuff that plain needs fixing__ as they do come as part of default installer...>yo? // no?
Who quite knows what these guyz have in mind..... hold tight i reckon.. future looks very promising.
I just think it's too much work. I think with programming, sometimes getting something 90% of the way there is easy enough. Then getting all these details, and little exceptions, and little features all becomes a shitload of work. One of the reasons I think cockos is able to do so much, is because of the way they choose to implement features. They are pretty smart about it, and accept certain limitations sometimes. Other companies I think are more goal oriented, where they want a certain result, look, and features, that some higher up execs wanted, and then you have the programming teams that just need to make it happen, whatever it takes, basically. I think it's a bit more complex than that, but that's the gist.

Cockos isn't like that though. It's the programmers that decide what they do, knowing how their software works, and what will be relatively easy and what will be relatively difficult, even if programming always ends up a little more complicated than you'd think because of the chain of the way things interact, and because of exceptions you might want, but dont' really notice as an exception because seems obvious to you, and people, but computers only do exactly what you tell them.

So, I suspect that this feature was implemented so that they had something, and they made it as well as they could, having taken other things into consideration, and it's really kind of a low priority thing at this point, but would cost a lot of resources to take further.

I mean, that's all speculation on my part, but from having been around reaper for a while, that's the way the business seems to work, to me.

I think that's why reaper is so small in filesize too, because it's just really efficiently designed. And that might make it a little less beautiful looking sometimes, but that's a good corner to cut, imo.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #435
Rico Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
- ARA support (which is about to happen)
- Area Selection in arrange view.
- Visual polish (Theme elements, walter)

I’m done👍
Where was ARA support confirmed? I missed that announcement, if correct that's fantastic news.
Rico Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #436
Kypresso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
Where was ARA support confirmed? I missed that announcement, if correct that's fantastic news.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200297
Kypresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #437
MRMJP

There's a growing list of professional mastering engineers that would love to see REAPER make some workflow additions/improvements to be a more friendly mastering solution from start to finish.

REAPER is great for about 90% of the mastering process but falls short for the last 10% which is why others and myself finalize projects in other apps (WaveLab or HOFA etc) that aren't REAPER.

I know there are people using REAPER for 100% of the mastering process but those are special cases and it's not inviting for the average mastering engineer to configure and deal with.

I think if Cockos (Justin and Schwa) reached out to this small but passionate community REAPER could be the #1 cross-platform mastering DAW.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:53 AM   #438
Jason Lyon

Quote:

Fair enough, Bri1. I was really talking about the meat'n'potatoes ReaStuff. I mean, having things like algo and convo reverb engines, multiband compression, etc straight out of the box really isn't that bad for the price. Okay, they could all be prettier, but hey.

Perhaps if they're not going to fix/support things like RS5000 they shouldn't bother and just let people go third-party. Presumably, if people are serious about that side of things, they're going to do that anyway.

Can't remember which one it was, but I did once use a stock REAPER sample plug for a quick and dirty trigger repair job on a kick mic that someone had well... kicked while walking past. Not exactly state of the art, but it worked - with a bit of massaging.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:59 AM   #439
Arionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang View Post
There is a script for smooth scrolling. I have it applied to the mousewheel, don't know about trackpad. It needs to be downloaded from reapack and setup as a custom action, described here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=190772
Thanks! I'll take a look on that to see if it does work for a trackpad.
Arionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #440
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
There's a growing list of professional mastering engineers that would love to see REAPER make some workflow additions/improvements to be a more friendly mastering solution from start to finish.

REAPER is great for about 90% of the mastering process but falls short for the last 10% which is why others and myself finalize projects in other apps (WaveLab or HOFA etc) that aren't REAPER.

I know there are people using REAPER for 100% of the mastering process but those are special cases and it's not inviting for the average mastering engineer to configure and deal with.

I think if Cockos (Justin and Schwa) reached out to this small but passionate community REAPER could be the #1 cross-platform mastering DAW.
Where does Reaper fall short for that?