Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #81
Stella645
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe_ View Post
The Presonus Faderport seems to be a favorite of many users. The iCON m+ is rarely mentioned (Why?). As they are of about the same price (~450 €, the m+ including the Platform D Display) and i'm right now trying to make a buying decision, i'd appreciate any comments from you my fellow comrades if you can judge about the two from own experience.

Best regards, Uwe
I think the favourite of many users getting all the mentions is the one channel faderport rather than the 8 channel.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #82
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
I think the favourite of many users getting all the mentions is the one channel faderport rather than the 8 channel.
Likely so, the driver we wrote that extends functionality was never ported towards the 8-Fader version because it came out pretty much after that project (FaderPortXT) was completed.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #83
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Likely so, the driver we wrote that extends functionality was never ported towards the 8-Fader version because it came out pretty much after that project (FaderPortXT) was completed.
...and I'll be forever grateful for the work that you and others put into that!

Faderport was easily one of the best investments I've made. I'd hate to be without it now!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #84
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
...and I'll be forever grateful for the work that you and others put into that!

Faderport was easily one of the best investments I've made. I'd hate to be without it now!
I like the FP1 so much I bought a back up last year. I have toyed with the idea of looking at the possibility of updating the code but I don't want to buy an FP8 to find out.

In the original code (framework by Justin) there was a simple MIDI event that fired and within the incoming parameters was all the needed data - that makes me wonder if it is the exact same thing, only with an additional block of data for which fader it is.

IF
that were the case it would be very easy to update.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-14-2018 at 09:00 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #85
Rangler

Tried out some controllers and I hate the feel of virtual knobs. Analog knobs forever. We live in the year 2018 and digital is just as unintuitive lag-prone as ever.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #86
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaf View Post
Could you elaborate on how you change the channels and how to get modifier buttons with the maschine? Is it via MCU or have you made your own template in the controller editor? Haven't really experienced midiox yet!
I have a thread about maschine mk3 integration with reaper and I would love to hear your input!
Well MIDI Ox is not the easiest thing to figure out, but I'll give you the gist and if it doesn't sound too hard for you, I can upload my files and you can try it out.

Basically there is a Patch Map and each patch corresponds to a PC #. In Controller Editor I've made the center row of buttons each send different PC #'s and loaded the patches for those PC #s into the Patch Map. While each of these PC buttons are held, MIDI-Ox loads the appropriate patch, which takes all MIDI notes from Maschine (the pads) and converts them to CC on that channel. It also switches channel for any of the other buttons/knobs which should already be sending CC.

So yea, it's all custom. Maschine outputs to MIDI-Ox, which does the MIDI translations and then outputs to Reaper via a LoopMIDI virtual cable.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #87
Uwe_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Thanx for your reply. Sounds like it's not at all plug and play. What about the control surfaces we find in the Preferences - there's a number of ten listed from Behringer to Yamaha under Control/OSC/Web.
Anyone out there experienced in 8 (or more) channel DAW controllers connected to REAPER?

Kind regards, Uwe
Uwe_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #88
shosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I've not used the mpd32, but I set up my Novation Launch Control so that banks are different midi channels. Works for me.
Yeah that seems like the easiest solution, I'll give it a try, thanks.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #89
cpaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Maschine Mikro Mk1. It outputs 9 layers (via MIDI-Ox channel switching) of 32 MIDI CC buttons/pads and the encoder knob, based on which "modifier" button I hold. Every action I ever need while sketching a song fits right in my lap.

Also love my 10 year old Novation ReMOTE. All my favorite SoftSynths, EQ's, Amps as well as a fully mapped "selected-track channel strip" are hands-on controllable via the 4 layers x (8 encoders, 8 rotary knobs, 8 faders and 8 buttons). So

When I want to mix or edit in maximum comfort and laziness, I use my Steam Controller with mouse control and programmable keyboard shortcuts and put my feet up. Max

All of which have been customized all the way to oblivion and beyond....But now I'm about 97% mouse and keyboard free!! Über-geek !
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Well MIDI Ox is not the easiest thing to figure out, but I'll give you the gist and if it doesn't sound too hard for you, I can upload my files and you can try it out.

Basically there is a Patch Map and each patch corresponds to a PC #. In Controller Editor I've made the center row of buttons each send different PC #'s and loaded the patches for those PC #s into the Patch Map. While each of these PC buttons are held, MIDI-Ox loads the appropriate patch, which takes all MIDI notes from Maschine (the pads) and converts them to CC on that channel. It also switches channel for any of the other buttons/knobs which should already be sending CC.

So yea, it's all custom. Maschine outputs to MIDI-Ox, which does the MIDI translations and then outputs to Reaper via a LoopMIDI virtual cable.
Thx this is most helpful foxAsteria!! This is exactly what I have been missing with my own quite limited approach. As maschine 2 utilizes lots of modifiers and there is no way to get this via the controller editor by it self, I will definitely try your way. Your files or maybe even just some screenshots of the controller editor, reaper and midiox would be great, thx again! I don't know what the easiest thing to do is, but you can send me an email on jfklyden@gmail.com if that's the easiest way.

Last edited by cpaf; 06-17-2018 at 02:00 AM.
cpaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #90
foxAsteria

@cpaf - New thread here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207939

also, perhaps you could delete my huge image from your quotes, since it doesn't need to fill the page like this
Old 06-17-2018, 02:00 AM   #91
cpaf

@foxAsteria sure! :P
cpaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #92
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post

After years with a bcf2000 and various other things with lights and fader and what not, I now v happily use one of these which was from aldi

Those two endless controllers are the main reason, plus the form (narrow) . can't fathom why small knobs are still the thing when a few larger ones are so much more usable to tweak parameters etc.

Mapped last touched parameter and fine item nudge left/right primarily.

Using tool like realearn this dumb controller can do all kinds of clever things it wasn't designed for.

The absolute twiddlies do nice mapped to master out, solo dim level, etc.

Point is I guess is finding something that fits your workflow (grew up with mouse and it does many thing v well) to fill gaps that mouse & keys don't do as well, doesn't have to be pricey or snazzy.
We might think we need flying faders, but more often than not it's a few handy buttons or controls.
Hi BenK! What specific brand/model is this? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2020, 08:29 AM   #93
lclyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I can confirm that Faderport 8 does not work in Reaper, on the Mac anyway. Pretty disappointed as I was looking forward to using it.

Can I get confirmation that the the single channel current version 2 works on a Mac..?

Thanks,
LC
lclyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #94
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclyman View Post
I can confirm that Faderport 8 does not work in Reaper, on the Mac anyway. Pretty disappointed as I was looking forward to using it.

Can I get confirmation that the the single channel current version 2 works on a Mac..?

Thanks,
LC
Unfortunately, I don't have an FP2 or Mac so I don't know. Geoff Waddington is working on this maybe it will work fully if FPXT doesn't...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143
Old 01-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #95
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Hi BenK! What specific brand/model is this? Thanks!
Envivo usb DJ controller
Old 01-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #96
SubbaseDnB

i have a novation nocturn,havent used it with Reaper yet though.might have to try.
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote