Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > JSFX and ReaScript Discussion

Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #161
mschnell
Human being with feelings

You in fact can read a file into memory and use the content as a number of samples and then output one after the other in an @block to the sample variable(s).

BTW.: it would be better to create a new topic instead of hijacking an unrelated thread.

-Michael
Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 AM   #162
ReaMike

Very nice!
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #163
JamesPeters

Hello again!

I'd noticed this when using PadSynth in Windows 7 (64-bit) and now I notice it as well in Linux...

When first loading PadSynth, the CPU spikes very high (causing Xruns in the process) and then after several seconds it settles down to a reasonable level.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #164
geraintluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I'd noticed this when using PadSynth in Windows 7 (64-bit) and now I notice it as well in Linux...

When first loading PadSynth, the CPU spikes very high (causing Xruns in the process) and then after several seconds it settles down to a reasonable level.
Yeah - it's generating a bunch of samples to use later. I expect it behaves the same when you hit "Regenerate" after modifying the waveform parameters.

I have already spread this out over the first 18 blocks (one per sample), so that REAPER remains somewhat responsive instead of completely locking up for a couple of seconds.

If it's particularly bad on some configurations (e.g. tiny block sizes, maybe?) then I can poke it a bit more. However, I'm afraid that aside from spreading it out even more carefully, there's not much else I can do about it - because JSFX (rightly!) doesn't have background threads for this kind of processing.

Last edited by geraintluff; 10-10-2018 at 08:07 AM.
geraintluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #165
JamesPeters

Thanks for the explanation!

I'm using relatively conservative block sizes (256, 3 blocks) and I even tested it today with 512 (and 2 blocks). Also my CPU isn't "throttled"; it's operating all the time at full frequency.

My CPU is a Core i3 6300, so it's not amazing. But it's quite adequate for lots of other software synths.

I don't expect that you'll change your plugin based on what I'm saying; I know it's not all about me. But I wanted to make you aware of what is happening, in case it is a concern in general.

Update: the latest dev build of Linux Reaper fixed my "non-stop xruns" problem (that had nothing to do with PadSynth), so now I can load PadSynth and just wait a few seconds for the CPU to "calm down" (it'll make some realtime xruns, but they'll stop), then I can use the pluginy. So there's no specific problem in Linux Reaper when using PadSynth. The CPU does spike when loading presets but that'll happen in any OS.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-11-2018 at 03:26 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote