Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #281
storyteller
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Disclaimer: This may be irrelevant

Is that used for an orange colour on OSX? If so, then the 6 hexadecimal digits are interpreted as BBGGRR. On Windows they will be interpreted as RRGGBB (cyan):

The hex for that orange on Windows would be "0xf2c100".

I have never worked out what happens when you transfer an image from Windows to OSX or vice versa.
Thats what I needed to know! Thanks. The colors are the correct two colors in question, but in reverse on the operating systems. The hex color produces the cyan color in OSX, but produces the orange color in windows. But thanks for the feedback! I should be able to add the fix now in the next update! Much appreciated!

Jonathan
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #282
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Cool, I see you have a number of VST3i plugins showing up in the list. Are you saying that when you select them, they do not show up as an inserted instrument in Reaper?
Well, they don't show up in OTR so there is nothing to select ... by contrast, they do show up in the regular Reaper, and work fine there (except for Play, but that is a different story).

I really don't understand this, because I think you didn't change anything to alter the way Reaper reads VSTs, did you?
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #283
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Well, they don't show up in OTR so there is nothing to select ... by contrast, they do show up in the regular Reaper, and work fine there (except for Play, but that is a different story).

I really don't understand this, because I think you didn't change anything to alter the way Reaper reads VSTs, did you?
Nothing has been modified in Reaper at all... OTR is just a work environment created for everyone to use. Have you tried copying/pasting your VST folder list from the install of Reaper that they appear correctly back into your OTR installation of Reaper and refreshing your VST list?

Also, when your plugins are scanned, the list is stored in your parent Reaper folder's reaper-vstplugins64.ini file. If you tried the above step and it is not working, can you see if they are showing up in the list there?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #284
peter5992

Quote:
Nothing has been modified in Reaper at all... OTR is just a work environment created for everyone to use. Have you tried copying/pasting your VST folder list from the install of Reaper that they appear correctly back into your OTR installation of Reaper and refreshing your VST list?

Also, when your plugins are scanned, the list is stored in your parent Reaper folder's reaper-vstplugins64.ini file. If you tried the above step and it is not working, can you see if they are showing up in the list there?
1. Yes, I copied and pasted my VST path folder from my regular Reaper, to OTR.

2. I searched for reaper-vstplugins64.ini file, and I found three different versions on my computer.

There's a complicating factor here: one of the Reaper forum members, Hopi, sent me a modified version of OTR with a workaround for the track coloring issues. I now have 3 versions of Reaper: the original Reaper, OTR, and OTR Hopi.

It could be that that is causing all kinds of conflicts and errors ... including some weird shit involving Play crashing.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:12 AM   #285
DarkStar

Just to double-check: are these enabled?

PS The interior of that arrow is Red "00" (0), Green "F2" (242), Blue "C1" (193) here on Windows - it is a cyan colour. What do you see on OSX?
Old 07-15-2017, 07:07 AM   #286
storyteller

Quote:

PS The interior of that arrow is Red "00" (0), Green "F2" (242), Blue "C1" (193) here on Windows - it is a cyan colour. What do you see on OSX?
I see cyan as well in your pic. Images will be the same color across platforms. In theory, hex colors should be as well (like when you program a website and use HEX colors) which is why i used HEX colors in the OTR color defaults palette. Even in Reaper, themes, saved track templates, etc all save colors uniformly across the different OS versions. It seems to be only when calling the SetTrackColor() function in reascript that it wants to take a hex color and do as you described by flipping around the RGB colors. That's why I wonder if it is a bug of some sort. Is it reading it correctly? Probably. But the question for me is should Reaper know the differences in OS and read the colors uniformly when the function is called. The color *should be* cyan. That is a universal HEX color. But, the reascript function on Windows reads it as you describe it and colors it orange.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #287
DarkStar

I've just seen this in the API Doc
Quote:
SetTrackColor(MediaTrack track, int color)
Set the custom track color, color is OS dependent (i.e. ColorToNative(r,g,b).
I'll guess that settrackcolor() uses RRGGBB and on OSX it needs to be converted the the native format first. Or something similar.

PS Have you got those 2 VST3 menu items ticked?
Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #288
peter5992

Quote:

Thanks ... yes, everything is checked, including VST3 and VST3i. Only thing not checked is VST folders.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #289
hopi

I have found over time that now and then I have go into the pref's for vst and use Add and point directly at the plugin in question...

usually reaper will pick up whatever is in my several vst folders [VST 32, VST 64, VST 3, VST] ...but not always...

so try pointing directly at the pluging and see what ya get
Old 07-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #290
storyteller

For those following this post on the color issue, changes have been made and were sent to hopi and peter for follow-up testing. If all looks good, it will be included in the next update for everyone. Thanks to Darkstar for pointing out the issue.

For those curious about the technical fix, the solution was to wrap each HEX color from the OTR Defaults file in a function that checked the user's operating system, and if it was windows, it would reorganize the order of the hex string before coloring the track to the way the operating system decodes the order of the colors (e.g. RRGGBB vs BBGGRR).

Thanks again to all that helped identify the issue!

Jonathan
Old 08-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #291
storyteller

Just wanted to place an update here that v1.04 was just emailed out to all OTR users. It contains the fix for the color issue in the Windows version of OTR that has been touched upon in this thread.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #292
StringMan

I'm confused here. Why buy a template when one can easily make one for free?
StringMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #293
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMan View Post
I'm confused here. Why buy a template when one can easily make one for free?
You certainly do not have to buy it - so I’m not quite sure what you are asking. But OTR is not just a template. It is a set of over 250 custom scripts and actions that are built into custom menu bars and layouts... all of this in addition to a template that is built to handle 1000+ tracks for large orchestral templates that has VCAs, effect sends, and internal render stem tracks all pre-routed and pre-configured.

In addition to the custom scripting, a number of reaper user favorites are pre-configured as well. Many of these scripts are generally difficult to get setup properly and come with little to no instructions on how to make them work. And while many experienced Reaper users may understand the nuances of installing scripts - some of them can still be confusing. So, OTR is a very huge help for those stepping into Reaper for the first time, or for those who do not have the time (or want to take the time) to setup a large template with all of the custom scripting for themselves.

If you are an experienced Reaper user, it is certainly possible to do something like this for yourself. It is how OTR came to be for me since it was crafted from my own heavy orchestral workflow. However, it is generally very difficult to create a large orchestral template in the first place, and while Reaper offers the greatest upside of all DAWs, it also comes with the greatest uphill battle when starting from scratch.

Oh - one last thing that is offered with OTR as well is the ability to add TrackPack expansions. These are tracktemplates that are pre-built for many of todays modern VIs. If you are a composer and just use Keyswitches patches, these may not seem like a huge timesaver. But, if you are among the majority of composers who use articulation-per-track orchestration techniques, then these can be a huge time saver. For example, the upcoming TrackPacks that should be released by the end of the year can take hours, or days to setup individually (even if you know what you are doing) since many of these big name libraries consist of hundreds of tracks. With these OTR TrackPacks, you can download them, right click, insert the track in your template and be on your way.

I hope this helps clarify a bit. There is a lot that can be learned from the video series available at http://OTR.storyteller.im and on the Storyteller Youtube site. And, I’m also available via email and active here on this board and VI-Control.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #294
sostenuto

+++++ ! Decent time with Reaper, very new with orchestral/cinematic project work.
Struggle with nuances of templates and ready for this highly refined tool, after somm time with your Demo.
Good to see this well-written description for newer Reaperites!
Many thanks for your video series as well !

Could have enjoyed BlkFri promo too !!
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #295
storyteller

Just wanted to let everyone know that 16 new TrackPacks have now been added to the Storyteller Store to enhance the OTR experience. I also have added an "All TrackPacks (Everything) Bundle" that is offered at 40% off the total price of the TrackPacks and will include all future TrackPacks that are added as well.

So that now brings the total TrackPack count to 27. Also, the latest version of OTR was released in early April and is now at version 1.6. This version now includes two themes that work seamlessly with the OTR workflow among numerous other enhancements to workflow.

As always, thank you for the tremendous support and please let me know if you have any questions.

-Jonathan
Old 12-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #296
babyjaws

Default OTR/extras?

hi Jonathon, thanks for all the work you are doing with this, gonna give this a try.
ive downloaded the lastest template, and im at the beginning.
the quickatrt guide mentions an OTR/extras folder, but 1.6 that I downloaded doesnt seem to include this anywhere, really cant find it..am I missing it somewhere?
cheers!
also, I noticed a lovey image on your videos of the reaper load screen, the butterfly girl, is this included? (not important but loved it!)
hope to see a chamber strings trackpack, if not I guess ill have to learn and make one

actually< i think my download got corrupt...missing files, followed installation to the book..

edit....it boils down to a problem with the d/l link.
each time i try to download, it finishes ok but gives an error when using 7zip to extract. I even donated again thinking i might get an uncorrupt d/l link.
I think this is why the extras folder is missing from the extract process..
tried 2 machines and 3 different browsers, and 2 d/l links, same result, a corrupt archive...pc windows 10.
could u help me? any suggestions?

Last edited by babyjaws; 12-02-2018 at 10:34 AM.
babyjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #297
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjaws View Post
hi Jonathon, thanks for all the work you are doing with this, gonna give this a try.
ive downloaded the lastest template, and im at the beginning.
the quickatrt guide mentions an OTR/extras folder, but 1.6 that I downloaded doesnt seem to include this anywhere, really cant find it..am I missing it somewhere?
cheers!
also, I noticed a lovey image on your videos of the reaper load screen, the butterfly girl, is this included? (not important but loved it!)
hope to see a chamber strings trackpack, if not I guess ill have to learn and make one

actually< i think my download got corrupt...missing files, followed installation to the book..

edit....it boils down to a problem with the d/l link.
each time i try to download, it finishes ok but gives an error when using 7zip to extract. I even donated again thinking i might get an uncorrupt d/l link.
I think this is why the extras folder is missing from the extract process..
tried 2 machines and 3 different browsers, and 2 d/l links, same result, a corrupt archive...pc windows 10.
could u help me? any suggestions?
First, I apologize if you are having download issues. I will certainly look into what is going on. I promise there is no "corrupt version" for those not donating. Haha. That is funny to think about though! I'm happy to provide you with alternative download links. Shoot me an email at support@storyteller.im and I'll get that taken care of immediately.

EDIT: Actually - I just saw you paypal invoice as the email address was similar to your user name. Got it! I'll email you download links now.
EDIT UPDATE: Email Sent! Let me know if you have any additional issues.
EDIT UPDATE: Just recompressed and uploaded a new zip version for the main server as well. Hope this solves any additional problems.

Last edited by storyteller; 12-02-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #298
babyjaws

Quote:
I promise there is no "corrupt version" for those not donating. Haha. That is funny to think about though!
hahaha, I confess the thought crossed my mind, considering the work that went into all these scripts!, but on reflection, the only thing corrupt was the archive!

thanks for your speedy response, ive downloaded the personal link and tested the archive which is healthy! pm sent regards the online link...
Old 05-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #299
composerguy78

Hi All,
I’m new to Reaper having just switched over from logic. I am very excited to have found OTR and I am trying to wrap my head around it before diving in. I have a few questions about about OTR:

Are the choir hall and Orchestral hall just 2 different reverb busses (with the individual mix positions within those?). Is this basically reverb bus 1 and Reverb bus 2? ( I am finding the way they are named choir hall and Orchestra Hall a little confusing).

In order to set up multi channel midi instruments which are hosted on a VE Pro server, do I follow the instructions on pages 33-35 in the manual? For example I have cineperc and cinebrass (as well as numerous other libraries) on a VE Pro server. Do I route the dry signal from those to outputs 1-2?

Any guidance gratefully received! OTR looks to me to be truly revolutionary!

Felix
composerguy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #300
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by composerguy78 View Post
Hi All,
I’m new to Reaper having just switched over from logic. I am very excited to have found OTR and I am trying to wrap my head around it before diving in. I have a few questions about about OTR:

Are the choir hall and Orchestral hall just 2 different reverb busses (with the individual mix positions within those?). Is this basically reverb bus 1 and Reverb bus 2? ( I am finding the way they are named choir hall and Orchestra Hall a little confusing).

In order to set up multi channel midi instruments which are hosted on a VE Pro server, do I follow the instructions on pages 33-35 in the manual? For example I have cineperc and cinebrass (as well as numerous other libraries) on a VE Pro server. Do I route the dry signal from those to outputs 1-2?

Any guidance gratefully received! OTR looks to me to be truly revolutionary!

Felix
Hey Felix! Great to have you onboard with OTR and thank you for the compliments! You are correct in your thinking. The Main Mix, Orchestra Hall, and Choir Hall are essentially 3 separate buss groups. The orchestra and choir halls each have 4 submix faders so you can create a beautiful hall with 4 separate reverb sends to simulate the way a multi microphone library sounds. Of course you don't have to use all four channels within each bus. Some people choose to just have a close and a far reverb since some IR libraries (such as EW Spaces) contains just close and far IRs.

The reason I named them Choir and Orch Halls is because it is common to record a choir in a separate location than the orchestra due to the acoustics. So, some people might want to simulate that with those two separate bus groups in addition to (or in lieu of) the main mix.

As for the VEPro Server, there is a VEPro Track Template in OTR that allows the outputs of VEPro to flow through Reaper without any additional configurations. If you select the Main Mix, Orch Hall. or Choir Hall Track Templates you can just allow you audio to flow through channels 1/2 in VEPro and it will all route appropriately.

Hope that helps. Of course feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions. The community is great with feedback and help as well.

Jonathan
Old 05-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #301
composerguy78

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for your reply - much appreciated!

I cannot wait to get rendering stems and using OTR!

Many thanks again for creating and sharing OTR in this way.

Best regards,

Felix
composerguy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:15 AM   #302
storyteller

OTR v1.7 Update

Great news! OTR has been updated to v1.7. Among the maintenance updates, OTR now includes support for Reaper 6 and Kontakt 6 templates.

Please log into your account to download the latest installer. Due to the high volume of users and finite server resources, if you are experiencing any issues with your download, please be patient and try again at a later time.

Keep in mind the Storyteller Store operates on a donation-only model. Since shifting to this model, the number of users has grown exponentially, so limitations with download capacity is a very real possibility. So please be patient. And of course, you can always support the Storyteller Store by donating through my PayPal link or by donating upon download of the products on the site.

Version 1.7 Features
Here are the most important details:

- Includes Reaper 6.08 with full Reaper 6 support
- Includes the latest SWS version 2.10.0.1
- Includes Kontakt 6 Track Templates
- Includes new 32-out templates for Kontakt 5/6 Track Templates
- Includes new 32-out templates for Vepro 6
- Includes updated scripting that will now DIM disabled tracks.
- Includes a new Pop/Rock Project Template (stems will not work in this particular project template)
- Kontakt Factory Library TrackPack has been updated for Kontakt 6 (with legacy support for Kontakt 5)
Thanks again for your support!