Old 09-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
audiohome
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Monitoring Problems

Hallo everybody

So I would like to monitor the musicians through reaper but I want the musicians to hear themselves from the soundcard. Now I also want to sent the playback of the track being recorded to the musicians so they can punch in. But I can not do both.

If I have a sent (to the musicians) in the record channel then they are going to hear what is being recorded with latency.

What I would actually need is to root the recording input (when you press record arm) only to my main monitors (master sent) and not to any other sent.

Is that possible?
How do you guys deal with monitoring and latency?
audiohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
Mike Raine

You have two choices: hardware or software monitoring. Most contemporary audio interfaces will allow you to monitor what's being recorded directly (i.e. hardware), while you listen to what's been recorded. You can also monitor what's being recorded indirectly (e.g. via Reaper's track monitor button). The penalty for doing this is latency. How much latency you get depends on (a) the capabilities of your interface and (b) how it is set up. If you are using a stock soundcard, the latency may be a deal breaker. If you are using a good quality interface, you should be able to record with very low latency.
Mike Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
viscofisy

There's basically two ways :

a) most new-ish audio interfaces have Direct Monitoring - which routes the monitoring out before it goes through your DAW. In this case you'd turn Reaper's monitoring off for the track(s) currently being recorded.

b) if you have a reasonably fast computer and a reasonably good audio interface, you can probably run it at low enough latency to monitor through Reaper with a delay so small it won't be a problem. This is done by setting the audio interface's ASIO buffer to a very low sample size like, say, 64 samples (sometimes expressed as milliseconds). The ASIO buffer controls the "rate of feed" of audio going in to your DAW, and can be set both according to the ability of your computer to process and to the capability of your audio interface and its drivers.

A third option is to use a project setting with a higher sample rate - double the project sample rate (ie from 44.1khz to 88.2khz) should almost halve the latency ... the downside being that it makes your CPU work twice as fast to process it.
_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:23 AM   #4
audiohome

Maybe I didn't explain my self very well.

Soooo... I want to have two different mixes for me and the musician.

For me I want to hear through reaper
For the musician I use Direct Monitoring from my RME 400

Now the channel that is being recorded needs to be sent to both of us so we can hear the recording so we can punch in.

But the problem is that when the record arm is enabled it sends to both the parent (for me to hear) and the sent track (for the musician to hear what war recorded so he can punch in). Is there a way not to sent the input to the sent track(musician)?
audiohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:53 AM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohome View Post
Soooo... I want to have two different mixes for me and the musician.
In this case setting up heaphone mixes should be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrUgyfn3Ag
solger is offline   Reply With Quote