Default v6.15+dev1108 - November 8 2020

v6.15+dev1108 - November 8 2020
  • * Includes branch: separate process VST/VST3 scanning
  • * Includes feature branch: per-chain PDC mode and overhaul/optimization
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer and metadata improvements
  • * Includes feature branch: razor editing
  • + NINJAM: lower network latency in voice chat mode
  • + Razor edit: add action to create area from cursor to mouse
  • + Razor edit: add arrange view right-drag modifier to create razor edit area from cursor
  • + Tooltips: fix reset of topmost pins on Windows when showing tooltip [t=243837]
  • # Master mixer meter: fix resize flicker when muted
  • # Media explorer: improve media label/tempo info positioning
  • # Media explorer: prevent volume fader from being moved out of window when narrow [p=2357793]
  • # VST: add undocumented vst_scan ini setting to allow disabling separate-process scanning
  • # VST: fix new plug-in marking when scanning out of process
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Phazma
Human being with feelings

Dear devs, I know this is not related to razor edit, but seeing that you are adding right mouse drag options for the arrange view, would you please consider adding a modifier option for deleting items when right dragging over the arrange (ideally with some possibility to override the item right click context - like the similar option in the editor)?
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
JamesPeters

There's a bug, related to per-chain PDC mode and overhaul/optimization for this DEV build and the prior one 1026 (the behavior exists in both builds). Tested using Reaper for Linux (x86_64):

The famous ReEQ (JS plugin) v1.0.11 reveals a minor bug...either in itself, Reaper, or both? In HQ mode, ReEQ requires 16 samples latency, but it's not reporting correctly.

Latency in HQ mode is initially reported when I switch from eco to HQ, with playback stopped. (16/64 samples, since I use a 64 sample size buffer in ALSA.) But as soon as I start playback that reported latency disappears (not showing as reported to Reaper) from the fx browser window and the Reaper performance meter.

When I try the other PDC modes, they also have the 16 samples latency disappear (not showing as reported to Reaper) when I hit play.

I tested ReEQ in eco mode and in HQ mode to see if they added 16 samples (looking at the recorded output and comparing sample positions) and the HQ mode does add 16 samples.

For comparison, I tried the same thing with other plugins including VST that have latency, and other JS plugins which have latency. None of the other plugins I have exhibit this behavior. If they report latency, it remains reported during playback and also when playback is stopped.

In Reaper for Linux 6.15 (official non-DEV build) this doesn't happen. PDC is reported correctly.

(edit) Confirmed this is fixed in Prerelease v6.15+dev1109.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 11-09-2020 at 09:17 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
Mercado_Negro

A blacklist for plugins that crashed when opening REAPER would be very useful because the user don't have to clear cache and rescan again when a new version of the plugin is installed.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #5
Paul1982

Hello, some issue with the UI. Before, buttons were OK:

But now, they are stretched:
Paul1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #6
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post

[*]+ Razor edit: add action to create area from cursor to mouse[*]+ Razor edit: add arrange view right-drag modifier to create razor edit area from cursor
This is very nice addition thank you devs!

Now i wish if we could also extend the RE edges to mouse position with a single click but not from the cursor.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
A blacklist for plugins that crashed when opening REAPER would be very useful because the user don't have to clear cache and rescan again when a new version of the plugin is installed.
If a plug-in is hidden due to crash on scan, installing a different version of the plug-in (assuming the last-modified time of the file changes) will not require clear-cache, it will be scanned again. But a list of failed-loaded plugins might be useful, anyway
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Skorobagatko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
This is very nice addition thank you devs!

Now i wish if we could also extend the RE edges to mouse position with a single click but not from the cursor.
+1 for this
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If a plug-in is hidden due to crash on scan, installing a different version of the plug-in (assuming the last-modified time of the file changes) will not require clear-cache, it will be scanned again. But a list of failed-loaded plugins might be useful, anyway
This is failing lately, Justin. REAPER used to do that all the time but now it's very rare (it's not seeing new versions).

A list of failed-loaded plugins would be a fast way to make them active again if the user decides so.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #10
Arthur McArthur

Since work has resumed on the new media explorer I'd like to re-raise two regressions from the old media explorer behaviour that are a constant bother when browsing samples:

Dragging a sample and releasing it returns the view to the top of the folder and stops preview of the item. This is very easy to do accidentally when you are quickly browsing:

https://i.imgur.com/5HFIGw2.gif

Using the mousewheel to quickly scroll away from the selected sound while it is playing snaps back the view of the media explorer to the selected item :

https://i.imgur.com/lUVSkun.gif
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #11
mschnell

Quote:
  • * Includes feature branch: per-chain PDC mode and overhaul/optimization
AFAIK, the suggested improvement is not to add the latencies rounded up to block size, but rounding to block size after adding.

Will the PDC calculation of parallel pin routed VSTs be cared of (in the released version the PDCs are added for the track delay instead of using the max PDC.)

Will the a delay for JSFXes in the "dry" path be added (regarding the PDC) ? In the released version this does happen for VSTs but not for JSFXes.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:43 AM   #12
ivansc

Quote:
Absolutely. Cakewalk had this in Sonar for years & it is still in the current Bandlab version... I miss it in Reaper & would love to see this added.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
There's a bug, related to per-chain PDC mode and overhaul/optimization for this DEV build and the prior one 1026 (the behavior exists in both builds). Tested using Reaper for Linux (x86_64):

The famous ReEQ (JS plugin) v1.0.11 reveals a minor bug...either in itself, Reaper, or both? (I posted this on the ReEQ thread as well.) In HQ mode, ReEQ requires 16 samples latency, but it's not reporting correctly.

Latency in HQ mode is initially reported when I switch from eco to HQ, with playback stopped. (16/64 samples, since I use a 64 sample size buffer in ALSA.) But as soon as I start playback that reported latency disappears (not showing as reported to Reaper) from the fx browser window and the Reaper performance meter.

When I try the other PDC modes, they also have the 16 samples latency disappear (not showing as reported to Reaper) when I hit play.

I tested ReEQ in eco mode and in HQ mode to see if they added 16 samples (looking at the recorded output and comparing sample positions) and the HQ mode does add 16 samples.

For comparison, I tried the same thing with other plugins including VST that have latency, and other JS plugins which have latency. None of the other plugins I have exhibit this behavior. If they report latency, it remains reported during playback and also when playback is stopped.

In Reaper for Linux 6.15 (official non-DEV build) this doesn't happen. PDC is reported correctly.

Thanks, fixing!
Old 11-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
This is failing lately, Justin. REAPER used to do that all the time but now it's very rare (it's not seeing new versions).

A list of failed-loaded plugins would be a fast way to make them active again if the user decides so.
Hmm any idea in what instance it is failing? Does the modified-time change?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #15
FeedTheCat

Quote:
  • # Media explorer: improve media label/tempo info positioning
  • # Media explorer: prevent volume fader from being moved out of window when narrow [p=2357793]
It's perfect now, thx
Old 11-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #16
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Hmm any idea in what instance it is failing? Does the modified-time change?
I'll try tomorrow a few plug-ins I've updated in the past days.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #17
BirdBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
Since work has resumed on the new media explorer I'd like to re-raise two regressions from the old media explorer behaviour that are a constant bother when browsing samples:

Dragging a sample and releasing it returns the view to the top of the folder and stops preview of the item. This is very easy to do accidentally when you are quickly browsing:

Using the mousewheel to quickly scroll away from the selected sound while it is playing snaps back the view of the media explorer to the selected item :

+1
These also bother me everytime I use the media explorer.
(I believe the second behaviour isn't new, it was always present.)
Old 11-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #18
BirdBird

Quote:
[*]+ Razor edit: add action to create area from cursor to mouse
This currently cannot be used with left click mouse-modifiers as they also move the edit cursor. (Which was one of the requests)
This has been a long going issue with actions assigned to left-click modifiers from the action list moving the edit cursor.

There should be an option in the modifier menu that disables this behaviour.
In its current state the description of behaviour of the modifier does not match what it does, it also prevents the usage of variety of actions through mouse modifiers.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #19
musicbynumbers

I get these too and would love to see them fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post

Old 11-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #20
Reflected

I don't know since when we can't open a track's fx window if it doesn't have any fx yet. :/

in the past if I clicked on track fx, the fx window of this track opened even if it didn't have any fx yet.

Can you please add this as option at least?

thanks
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #21
Mercado_Negro

Hi Justin. I just updated my MacBook Pro to Catalina and found a problem with REAPER and my Waves plugins while scanning. REAPER crashed (well, it didn't crash because it was scanning on a separate process) while scanning one of the Waves .vst3 files. It happens when a window pops up asking for some samples I didn't install and I try to click on "cancel" on that window. I've tried a lot of things but I can't make it work and now I'm missing lots of my Waves plugins (VST3).