Old 02-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #201
sqby
Human being with feelings

Same here
Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 AM   #202
lou latch

HI!

It seems QCon is planning on improving and expanding mapping for the iCon!

Since i bought an iCon about a week ago i searched the internet resources to get the most out of it, so i found that post on the QCon site where Chris Wong asked for general suggestions - i thought i'd ask for easier mapping possibilities :-)

http://support.icon-global.com/hc/co...-Product-Idea-

Now he answered and it seems they are planning some stuff and are building a beta test team.

I thought it would be a good idea to mention that here, in case some of you are interested.

Also i think it would be a good possibility to show that quite some reaper users are using their surfaces, hopefully support will improve!

I'm coming from an Artist Control (was using exclusively Pro Tools before discovering REAPER a year ago), but Geoff's (much appreciated!!) Eucon support didn't work well for me, too many crashes and slow project tab switching. And i'm still on a Mac, so no Klinke for me.
And i don't like hacking around lots to get more functions, i much prefer stable solutions out of the box with support from the company.

So, i'd love to see a few people bringing that thread over there to live...

Greets!
lou latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:38 AM   #203
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
HI!
So, i'd love to see a few people bringing that thread over there to live...

Greets!

What thread are you talking about? I'm a Windows user and have a Qcon Pro and an Ex. I plan on adding another 2 Ex's by end of this year or 1st of next year. So far, I'm only using the controllers with the normal functionality and I absolutely love them. I'm actually glad I chose these units over the Mackie.

There's only one gripe I have with it right now and that's to get the level meters more correct with what is in Reaper. They are pegged most of the time, even though the track is well below clipping.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #204
lou latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by silar View Post
What thread are you talking about? I'm a Windows user and have a Qcon Pro and an Ex. I plan on adding another 2 Ex's by end of this year or 1st of next year.
Hmm, that link in my post should get you there - works for me at least... see it?

'Thread' is a big word for what's happening there so far, but maybe we can change that. It took almost one week until he answered to my reply - but that doesn't have to mean something. Some things take some time.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #205
lou latch

Quote:
There's only one gripe I have with it right now and that's to get the level meters more correct with what is in Reaper. They are pegged most of the time, even though the track is well below clipping.
Interesting, do you have the latest firmware and checked your settings in REAPER?
My meters blink red at -1 dB and stay red at 0 dB...
Old 02-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #206
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
Interesting, do you have the latest firmware and checked your settings in REAPER?
My meters blink red at -1 dB and stay red at 0 dB...
I do have the latest firmware (1.15) running in Reaper 64 bit windows 10. It may be the difference between the Mac and PC, especially since I'm using the Klinke MCU...
Old 03-08-2016, 03:58 AM   #207
satchmo

Hi silar.

I'm thinking about getting the Qcon Pro EX too.
How are you finding the button assignments using your current set up?
Are you getting the named functionality on the button or having to use a template overlay?

i.e. Is there a clash between the assignments on the older version of the Klinke MCU (that's needed for running two units) and the V1.15 firmware from QCon that supports Reaper mode?

Cheers
Satchmo
satchmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:09 AM   #208
sqby

I use it with 2 EXes it works like a charm, most of the keys work.
But I mainly use the basic buttons + sends.

The glitch that bothers me is the lag when switching banks but I do not know what is the cause of that.

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...85496145_o.jpg
Old 03-08-2016, 04:23 AM   #209
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
Hi silar.

I'm thinking about getting the Qcon Pro EX too.
How are you finding the button assignments using your current set up?
Are you getting the named functionality on the button or having to use a template overlay?

i.e. Is there a clash between the assignments on the older version of the Klinke MCU (that's needed for running two units) and the V1.15 firmware from QCon that supports Reaper mode?

Cheers
Satchmo
So far everything I've used it for, it's been mapped pretty much exactly as is without an overlay. There may be something I've not tried out though. I am also using the older version of Klinke with it and so far, it seems to work pretty good. I've gotten so use to using it that when I don't have it on, I feel helpless. I definitely rely on it quite a bit, recording and mixing. It's been the best tool I've bought for my studio. I'm starting to get into controlling the plugins with it a bit more, and that in itself is pretty cool.

A lot of people may not be able to justify the cost for what it does, but I'm sold. End if year, I'm getting another Ex unit to have 24 tracks..
Old 03-08-2016, 04:29 AM   #210
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqby View Post
I use it with 2 EXes it works like a charm, most of the keys work.
But I mainly use the basic buttons + sends.

The glitch that bothers me is the lag when switching banks but I do not know what is the cause of that.

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...85496145_o.jpg
SQBY,

What glitch are you talking about? I don't have any lag at all when switching banks. What exactly is it doing?
Old 03-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #211
satchmo

Quote:
So far everything I've used it for, it's been mapped pretty much exactly as is without an overlay. There may be something I've not tried out though. I am also using the older version of Klinke with it and so far, it seems to work pretty good. I've gotten so use to using it that when I don't have it on, I feel helpless. I definitely rely on it quite a bit, recording and mixing. It's been the best tool I've bought for my studio. I'm starting to get into controlling the plugins with it a bit more, and that in itself is pretty cool.

A lot of people may not be able to justify the cost for what it does, but I'm sold. End if year, I'm getting another Ex unit to have 24 tracks..
Thanks for that Silar.
I must admit I love my QCon Pro and being able to add extra channels is the icing on the cake. I've just requested a price for the EX so I should soon be joining the same club as you
satchmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #212
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
Thanks for that Silar.
I must admit I love my QCon Pro and being able to add extra channels is the icing on the cake. I've just requested a price for the EX so I should soon be joining the same club as you
Awesome. You'll love it. The one thing I noticed, especially since I'm starting to try out using it to control plugins also is that with the EX unit, the plugins settings do not span onto it. It seems like I can only control the plugin settings with the Qcon Pro. I'm still learning, so I may be doing something wrong...
Old 03-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #213
Caustic

Has anyone here used the qcon Lite, i got it a few weeks ago and havent been able to get it working very nicely with mcu and klinke, its nice in midi control mode but no feedback from reaper for the fader or buttons in that mode.
Caustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #214
sqby

Quote:
SQBY,

What glitch are you talking about? I don't have any lag at all when switching banks. What exactly is it doing?
Hi @Silar this is the kind of delay I am getting:
https://youtu.be/_Ya3XKPliSI
Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #215
silar

Quote:
Hi @Silar this is the kind of delay I am getting:
https://youtu.be/_Ya3XKPliSI
Oh wow. I don't get a delay like that at all. When I switch banks, both my Qcon Pro and EX react almost instantaneously. Could it be something with your usb ports? Do you have the appropriate chipset drivers for your motherboard installed?

What firmware are you running on the Qcon Pro and Ex's?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #216
sqby

Quote:
Oh wow. I don't get a delay like that at all. When I switch banks, both my Qcon Pro and EX react almost instantaneously. Could it be something with your usb ports? Do you have the appropriate chipset drivers for your motherboard installed?

What firmware are you running on the Qcon Pro and Ex's?
I use 1.15 firmware, got to check the chipset drivers.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2016, 07:21 AM   #217
sqby

Updated chipset drivers, bios, etc.
Still no luck with getting rid of the bank switching delay.
Maybe Windows update will help (probably not).
Old 03-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #218
TykSon

Quote:
Do you have them connected via a USB hub? If so, try connecting them on individual USB ports, or change the ones you use currently. Might be, that the USB ports are overloaded with too many QCons.
TykSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #219
sqby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TykSon View Post
Do you have them connected via a USB hub? If so, try connecting them on individual USB ports, or change the ones you use currently. Might be, that the USB ports are overloaded with too many QCons.
No I have them connected directly - but checked also via hub or changing the ports, no difference.
It may be the usb port problem cause I have lots of stuff connected to it - keyboard, mouse, 2 iloks, usb modem, 3 qcons, console 1

But even when I had 1 Qcon EX, the delay was present. I may try to buy PCI USB slot and try to mount Qcons to it.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #220
silar

Quote:
No I have them connected directly - but checked also via hub or changing the ports, no difference.
It may be the usb port problem cause I have lots of stuff connected to it - keyboard, mouse, 2 iloks, usb modem, 3 qcons, console 1

But even when I had 1 Qcon EX, the delay was present. I may try to buy PCI USB slot and try to mount Qcons to it.
Like I said previously. Check to see what motherboard you have and go to the manufacturers website and download the chipset drivers for it. If you don't Windows will usually install a generic set of drivers and may not work very well with your motherboard. It may even reduce your latency if you're using a USB audio device...
Old 03-19-2016, 01:12 AM   #221
sqby

Quote:
I have already done it it did not make any difference.
I use madi-pci converters.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #222
Sugee

Hello!

I bought an icon qcon pro and i few questions about it.

-I'm using in logic mode with Mackie Control (Klinke v0.8.3.4)
When I'm starting Reaper there is 6 vertical lines below the track names.So how could I hide those lines?
-I set everything as I saw in the user's manual,but I can't assing the "F" buttons to reaper actions 'cos the reaper doesn't recognize qcon as MIDI controller.How can I set it up?

Thank you in advance for your help!

BR
Sugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #223
tottis

Default Icon Qcon Pro X (G2)

Anybody got one of these? Does it integrate nicely with Reaper?

Thank you
tottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #224
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottis View Post
Anybody got one of these? Does it integrate nicely with Reaper?

Thank you
I do - it's fantastic, love it.

I actually use it for Pro Tools but it works equally well with Reaper.

Looks sexy as well by the way. Brushed aluminium, and motorized faders.

peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #225
tottis

Default Icon Qcon Pro X (G2)

@peter5992 thank you for your answer. Sorry I wasn't clear before. I was actually asking about the new model (Icon Qcon Pro X) which has hit the market just recently. Was anybody brave enough to have tried it already (especially with Reaper)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QconProX-Front.jpg (52.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 11-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #226
peter5992

Quote:
@peter5992 thank you for your answer. Sorry I wasn't clear before. I was actually asking about the new model (Icon Qcon Pro X) which has hit the market just recently. Was anybody brave enough to have tried it already (especially with Reaper)?
Oh, that one ... I remember that it was announced a while ago, and then the release was deferred "until further notice".

From what I read online, it works very similar to the model I have, here's how you set it up with Reaper.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.icon-...-QCON-ProX.pdf

Apparently it comes with plastic "overlays" which are adapted for Pro Tools / Logic / Reaper, see the picture below.

http://iconproaudio.com/product/qcon-pro-x/

https://ask.audio/articles/review-ic...ontrol-surface
Old 11-23-2016, 04:04 AM   #227
tottis

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Oh, that one ... I remember that it was announced a while ago, and then the release was deferred "until further notice".

From what I read online, it works very similar to the model I have, here's how you set it up with Reaper.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.icon-...-QCON-ProX.pdf

Apparently it comes with plastic "overlays" which are adapted for Pro Tools / Logic / Reaper, see the picture below.

http://iconproaudio.com/product/qcon-pro-x/

https://ask.audio/articles/review-ic...ontrol-surface
Thank you for the information. I just ordered an Icon Qcon pro X and hope for the best! Hopefully by summer 2017 Icon will market the new extenders as well and I will reduce even more the free space on my desk :-).
Old 11-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #228
peter5992

Quote:
Thank you for the information. I just ordered an Icon Qcon pro X and hope for the best! Hopefully by summer 2017 Icon will market the new extenders as well and I will reduce even more the free space on my desk :-).
Good luck! I have no more desk space and don't really need the extenders ... if this unit is anything like the one I have, you'll love it. Very solid build, and excellent bang for the buck.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #229
tottis

Default Icon Qcon Pro X (G2) midi dropouts

Hello everybody!
I have just recently purchased a Qcon Pro X (1.08 firmware) to use with Reaper. Sadly up until now, I haven't found a way to prevent the device from loosing connectivity with the daw (midi dropout?) after either a few seconds to 2-3 minutes at most every single time. It is impossible to get to work. I have tried:
- both MCU generic plugin and Klinke's
- all the usb ports of my laptop (both usb2 and usb3) in case something is wrong with one of them
- downgrading to several older versions of Reaper
- trial version of Cubase 8 elements (Qcon set in Cubase mode of course) went a little bit better control-wise but unfortunately a connection fail (Qcon freezes) is not avoided after 2-3 minutes

It seems like a hardware problem of the Qcon. A final desperate thought is if there is some sort of incompatibility with my laptop (usb ports, motherboard busses or else) which is quite new MSI i7. However I haven't got the chance yet to connect the device with another computer.

Any incite to this will be most appreciated as I am counting down to sending back the device.
For instance @peter5992, since you have successfully been using your Qcon, can you tell me which Qcon firmware and Reaper version you are using?

Thank you in advance
Old 12-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #230
peter5992

Quote:
Hello everybody!
I have just recently purchased a Qcon Pro X (1.08 firmware) to use with Reaper. Sadly up until now, I haven't found a way to prevent the device from loosing connectivity with the daw (midi dropout?) after either a few seconds to 2-3 minutes at most every single time. It is impossible to get to work. I have tried:
- both MCU generic plugin and Klinke's
- all the usb ports of my laptop (both usb2 and usb3) in case something is wrong with one of them
- downgrading to several older versions of Reaper
- trial version of Cubase 8 elements (Qcon set in Cubase mode of course) went a little bit better control-wise but unfortunately a connection fail (Qcon freezes) is not avoided after 2-3 minutes

It seems like a hardware problem of the Qcon. A final desperate thought is if there is some sort of incompatibility with my laptop (usb ports, motherboard busses or else) which is quite new MSI i7. However I haven't got the chance yet to connect the device with another computer.

Any incite to this will be most appreciated as I am counting down to sending back the device.
For instance @peter5992, since you have successfully been using your Qcon, can you tell me which Qcon firmware and Reaper version you are using?

Thank you in advance

Hm ... that's weird.

I am on firmware version 1.14 (just checked, I believe there's a new version out now, 1.15).

The latest firmware for your model is 1.08 which you already have installed apparently.

I usually use my Icon with Pro Tools (10.3.10), never had any issues.

I just tested it with Reaper as well, no issues there either. I use the recommended standard MCU instructions from Icon, nothing customized.

If you have the same connectivity issue with several different DAWs, my educated guess is that it is a hardware problem.

I'd give them a call, their user support is good, when I called them about 2 years ago they picked up the phone immediately and I talked to TWO tech support guys somewhere on the East Coast.

Good luck, keep us posted as to how it goes.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:02 AM   #231
tottis

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Hm ... that's weird.

I am on firmware version 1.14 (just checked, I believe there's a new version out now, 1.15).

The latest firmware for your model is 1.08 which you already have installed apparently.

I usually use my Icon with Pro Tools (10.3.10), never had any issues.

I just tested it with Reaper as well, no issues there either. I use the recommended standard MCU instructions from Icon, nothing customized.

If you have the same connectivity issue with several different DAWs, my educated guess is that it is a hardware problem.

I'd give them a call, their user support is good, when I called them about 2 years ago they picked up the phone immediately and I talked to TWO tech support guys somewhere on the East Coast.

Good luck, keep us posted as to how it goes.
So, it seems that the problem mentioned on my previous post is probably not related with a QconX hardware malfunction. I am not sure what exactly causes the midi dropouts but it certainly is related to the hdmi secondary-monitor connection (!). Once I plugin in or out the hdmi cable from my laptop when the secondary monitor is on then I loose connection of QconX. However this doesn't happen when the QconX is connected via a certain usb2 port of my laptop. This connection is always stable with no connection loses. The opposite occurs when connected via any of the 3 other usb ports of my laptop. By the way problem remains even when connected via a externally powered usb hub. I am sorry I cannot be more specific than this but the important thing is that the dropouts are not QconX's fault. The product is very robust and handy. These days I am trying to get the most out of Klinke's plugin!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #232
silar

Default Icon Qcon Pro Update

I Figured I would update on my setup. It's been a while since I've been on the forums and I've now had the Icon QCon Pro and Extender for around a year now and it still has not let me down. I absolutely love the setup, especially with Reaper. Currently on 5.x. Not really had any issues at all with it. It has really streamlined my little studio I have in my house. I've attached some pics so you can see my setup. Yeah I know.. I still need to do some acoustic treatment, but it's a work in progress.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 AM   #233
phonofranz

Quote:
I Figured I would update on my setup. It's been a while since I've been on the forums and I've now had the Icon QCon Pro and Extender for around a year now and it still has not let me down. I absolutely love the setup, especially with Reaper. Currently on 5.x. Not really had any issues at all with it.

Hey Silar,
care to tell us what csurf plugin+version and what firmware version you are using now?

I have a Pro + 2x Extenders set to Reaper mode.

I've just updated firmware to 1.16 (coming from that un-official 1.15) It fixed level meters and generally it feels smoother, but buttons' mapping changed.

Still using Klinke 0.6.4.1 to be able to use extenders. Qcon offers to download their "edition" of Klinke 0.8.x, but you cannot use it with extenders (no offset parameter).

One issue I have always had is that randomly one controller (or more) stops working. Tried all the usual stuff, changed ports, hub or no hub, but still...
Note: when this happens Reaper won't close unless I power-cycle the controller.

Let's see if 1.16 fixed this or not.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #234
silar

Just saw this.. I was using the 1.15 with 0.6.4.1, but just now upgraded to 1.16. VU meters do seem to be better. Mapping is definitely different. Looks like I'm going to have to finally go ahead and make a overlay template.

Anyone tried to setup the 'User A' and 'User B' pedal inputs on the back of the Icon Qcon Pro? I just bought a pedal so I can use it for punch-in but can't seem to figure out how to map it or use it.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:49 AM   #235
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Just saw this.. I was using the 1.15 with 0.6.4.1, but just now upgraded to 1.16. VU meters do seem to be better. Mapping is definitely different. Looks like I'm going to have to finally go ahead and make a overlay template.

Anyone tried to setup the 'User A' and 'User B' pedal inputs on the back of the Icon Qcon Pro? I just bought a pedal so I can use it for punch-in but can't seem to figure out how to map it or use it.
If it's the same as the MCU it's

Footswitch A: 90 66 00/7f
Footswitch B: 90 67 00/7f
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #236
Win Conway

So in use, the low resolutions of the faders on these older qcons is a non issue ?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #237
LugNut

Hi,
If your talking about the MCU protocol, it uses pitch bend for faders.
That's just for a switch, unless I'm missing something.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:42 PM   #238
Win Conway

No, i was told that the faders on these only have 128 values
Old 05-17-2017, 01:49 AM   #239
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
No, i was told that the faders on these only have 128 values
Yeah the original ones did, but it wasn't as bad as it seems, the response was logarithmic, so around 0db, where it counts, the steps were about 0.1 db.

I believe the new ones are 10 bit (1024 res) on the unit, protocol is standard Mackie 14 bit (16384) which, of course, no physical fader south of OMG expensive can come close to anyway, 1024 seems to be the sweet spot, ideally with log response.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #240
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
If it's the same as the MCU it's

Footswitch A: 90 66 00/7f
Footswitch B: 90 67 00/7f
Geoff,

Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated! How do I go about mapping this to use for punch in recording?