Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #14
silksow
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbb View Post
What happens if I just keep using Windows 7? Will I be risking losing data or viruses etc.? I'd prefer not to have to learn a new OS if I can avoid it. If it's unavoidable though, what is the best linux distro for running Reaper and do they come with WINE and JACK etc. pre installed? I really hate Windows 10 and can't face the idea of caving into it, but linux seems complicated and I'm having trouble deciding what to do. I'm wondering if I should just disconnect my computers from the internet to reduce risk and just keep running Windows 7 indefinitely.
Microsoft will take your money if you want security updates after this year, for up to 3 years at a higher fee for each consecutive year. After that, or without the extended support starting Jan 1st 2020, yes - the only way to be safe is to stay disconnected. So you'll never want another plugin? Don't cave. There was a time Reaper seemed complicated to you, I bet. Or routing sends or setting up your interface or using a compressor or playing an instrument.

The walled gardens of the corporate world are betting that you're too insecure or lazy or incompetent to declare your independence from them.