Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
chinolam
Human being with feelings

Default Does Reaper automatically compensate recording latency depending on your buffer size?

Say if I set my Buffer Size to highest (say 2048 samples) on my audio interface and record a vocal track to my existing instrumental tracks, will it effectively come out the same as if I had set it to 128 samples? Like will the timing of the recorded vocal track to the instrumental tracks align the same or will it be delayed because of the difference in buffer size?

For years, I've used 128 or 256 samples for my buffer size. But just realized my audio interface is set to 512 and it's probably been that way for quite a while now. Does it even make a difference in the end? I haven't really noticed any issues in my recent recordings, but I don't have a good sense of timing anyway. So I'm not sure. Thank you.
chinolam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
foxAsteria

It can make a difference if you monitor through Reaper and there's any latency but otherwise no, it's very common to raise the buffer size as a project grows. It's a tradeoff between latency and CPU usage, so set it as needed (smaller buffer = lower latency & more CPU usage)

When monitoring with any latency there is a tendency to start playing a little early so the sound arrives at your ears on time (this happens unconsciously), but without also turning on "Preserve PDC delayed monitoring..." option for the track your track will also playback a bit early.

So if the timing sounds off on playback, try that option.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #3
mschnell

AFAIU: yes, but only regarding the playback tracks if the track(s) currently recorded is not monitored (as even Reaper can't hear the future ).

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:43 AM   #4
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinolam View Post
Say if I set my Buffer Size to highest (say 2048 samples) on my audio interface and record a vocal track to my existing instrumental tracks, will it effectively come out the same as if I had set it to 128 samples? Like will the timing of the recorded vocal track to the instrumental tracks align the same or will it be delayed because of the difference in buffer size?

For years, I've used 128 or 256 samples for my buffer size. But just realized my audio interface is set to 512 and it's probably been that way for quite a while now. Does it even make a difference in the end? I haven't really noticed any issues in my recent recordings, but I don't have a good sense of timing anyway. So I'm not sure. Thank you.
The question is whether you are monitoring your vocal through Reaper or using your interface direct monitoring.
If it's the latter then your timing should be fine and Reaper will correct for the additional buffer.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #5
chinolam

Thanks for the replies. I am doing direct monitoring from my audio interface. So I guess I'm all good. Thank you!
chinolam is offline   Reply With Quote