Old 10-14-2021, 01:39 AM   #401
heda
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTaylorMusic View Post
I cannot find sorting options. How are they sorted by default? I would like to display alphabetically. Is this possible?
it should be sorted alphabetically, but I see it is not sorting well on Linux. I don't know why. What are OS are you using?
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #402
JRTaylorMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
it should be sorted alphabetically, but I see it is not sorting well on Linux. I don't know why. What are OS are you using?
Mac OS 11
JRTaylorMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #403
heda

oh... ok .. so it is only Windows sorting it correctly, then I may have to sort it manually after getting the list of files from the API. thanks
Old 10-15-2021, 04:27 AM   #404
heda

Default v1.3pre21 (2021-10-15)

Now it should sort alphabetically on all systems:

* v1.3pre21 (2021-10-15)
# fix alphabetical sorting. Thanks @JRTaylorMusic
Old 10-22-2021, 12:58 AM   #405
Reflected

FR: options to show shorcuts of folders in the panels

I have a folder that I want to see under few different catagories.

instead of duplicating the folder, it could be very effective to see the shortcut of a folder, so every change in this folder will be available under all the catagories that representing this folder.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #406
heda

It should work with Symbolic links folders of the OS. Doesn't it? I can test it. But that's a OS feature so it should be transparent and the script should think it is a real folder, but it just points to the folder you want.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:38 PM   #407
pcp

Default Using Track Templates to store 'musicloops' / ideas

Thanks for all these really awesome tools HeDa! I've been using Track Templates VIP in an off-label way which is a real game changer for me, and I wonder if there are some tweaks that could be made to make this even better? (Or even if you would consider adapting into a dedicated plugin for this purpose?)

The main feature I missed coming from Studio One to Reaper was the ability to store 'musicloops', which are self-contained files containing clip information and an audio preview. Ableton 'clips' are similar but less powerful.

Musicloops are just awesome, as lets say you've been working on a bass line and have dialled in a great synth patch and come up with a melody, but it's more an idea you want to put in the bank than a song... fine, in S1 I can drag that clip into my 'musicloops' folder in the browser and it saves immediately with an audio preview, so that in the future I can browse through that folder and audition the musicloops at original or song tempo, then bring them in via drag and drop with all the FX chains etc. Some S1 users even use these instead of storing instrument presets, to get a sort of NKS browser preview functionality for their custom presets and FX chains.

Reaper users have been asking for a similar functionality for years but so far it's still not possible to save track templates with audio preview. The workaround most people use is to save as subprojects and then save those subprojects to a Reabay which is accessible globally. It 'works'... and it's powerful I guess as you have all the routing and automation and stuff that I don't 100% trust musicloops to save. But it's kludgy and takes time, and babysitting the file structures and file names and start end markers and whatnot is guaranteed to take you out of the flow of making music. The speed and simplicity is what makes musicloops so great.

So I was delighted to realise that TT can be used as a quick and easy way to save musicloops, and so far it's working really well. I've got a separate instance that I call up with a key press, pointing to my ideas folder.
I can save the track template with items and ogg audio preview and it'll all be named nicely. Browseable in the TT instance or via the Media Explorer or OS browser. Click or drag in and boom - routing, automation, FX.

That said, TT was obviously not designed around this workflow - there are a few things that would make it much better if they were possible.

1. View as list/text without the images. Right now my TT Musicloops instance has many tiny text-filled squares which might be unmanageable when I get to the number of loops I have stored in S1.
2. Proper audio preview controls - took me a while to figure out how to stop the Track Template playing by right clicking on the icon button. Having a list with an option to auto preview any selected item would be amazing.
3. And when storing the audio, is it possible to specify that it renders only within the current time selection?
4. And last one is nitpicky, but a single action to save as a Track Template with audio preview would make the whole thing very seamless. Right now my 'musicloops' shortcut just brings up the TT instance and I then have to navigate via the hamburger to save the idea.

Anyway sorry for the long post full of feature requests, Even without these modifications your Track Templates is the best current option I've found for achieving this workflow.
pcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:58 AM   #408
UknownSource

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcp View Post

1. View as list/text without the images. Right now my TT Musicloops instance has many tiny text-filled squares which might be unmanageable when I get to the number of loops I have stored in S1.

3. And when storing the audio, is it possible to specify that it renders only within the current time selection?
+1 for these 2 requests

Render time selection instead of items will be very useful, most of the time I want to keep all items in the track but I don't want to render all of them when saving a preset, I want to render only the time selection content.

a list view can be nice
Old 11-07-2021, 04:18 AM   #409
heda

Thanks for the feedback !

Yes.. I'm going to add actions shortcuts to create templates and also render time selection by default, which makes more sense than selected items as it is now.. There was also a bug that caused to render all items in the track instead of selected one only.

I'm also fixing screen capture on Linux.

Display as text list could take more time.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #410
pcp

Incredible, thank you, those two changes would really make this script fly. As for the list view and more involved audio preview, they're less important than the two things you're working on, which are about exporting the idea quickly and reliably. For navigating instruments the graphical approach is obviously the central appeal of this script, and for navigating saved 'musicloops' there are advantages to staying in the Media Explorer anyway.

Although if I may sneak in another feature request while on that subject - if there was an option to export the audio preview as a WAV (with embedded project tempo) rather than ogg, then that would be wonderful for previewing any saved drum loops or rhythmic ideas in the Media Explorer (with tempo match on). I'm not sure but I don't think it's possible to embed BPM metadata in an ogg. I think that's the only other thing that S1 musicloops do that isn't possible with your script.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #411
heda

I was using ogg because the files take less disk space and are just for previews, but I'm going to add an option to not force the format to OGG and keep the wav format with the current settings intact. so if you configure the render window to render WAV with tempo then it will just use these settings. Then I need it to search for ogg and wav files for the play buttons
Old 11-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #412
Reflected

Quote:
It should work with Symbolic links folders of the OS. Doesn't it? I can test it. But that's a OS feature so it should be transparent and the script should think it is a real folder, but it just points to the folder you want.
works perfectly! Thanks!

Quote:
Yes.. I'm going to add actions shortcuts to create templates and also render time selection by default, which makes more sense than selected items as it is now.. There was also a bug that caused to render all items in the track instead of selected one only.

I'm also fixing screen capture on Linux.

Display as text list could take more time.
awesome!
Loving this script
keep it up

btw, when selecting a parent track that has children, it doesn't save the children within, unlike saving it from reaper's default saving option. can you fix this please or make it optional?
Old 11-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #413
pcp

Fantastic, thanks so much heda, looking forward to the update which sounds like it will take things to the next level.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #414
heda

Default v1.4.0 (2021-11-08)

new update with some of the mentioned changes and Linux support to capture screenshot. It doesn't capture the entire plugin automatically, but it lets you define a rectangle area manually. so you can use it also to capture any other area of the screen, not only the plugin.

* v1.4.0 (2021-11-08)
+ Setting: Use time selection for audio previews rendering
+ Setting: Keep current render settings format when rendering audio previews
+ File right click menu: Delete... (delete template and associated files: image, audio previews, .cfg)
+ File right click menu: Set Screenshot... (for adding or changing screenshots for existing templates)
+ Action for template saving
+ Action for refreshing directory
+ Support Screenshot capture in Linux (interactive region capture, when cross cursor, drag rectangle to define capture area)
# fix: Restore render settings after rendering audio preview
# fix default track color on Linux when saving a template
# Shorter window title name, to avoid large tabs when docked (thanks @Skorobagatko)
# bug fix when cancelling setting Send values for a template (thanks @Skorobagatko)
Old 11-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #415
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
btw, when selecting a parent track that has children, it doesn't save the children within, unlike saving it from reaper's default saving option. can you fix this please or make it optional?
The limitation was done for some reason I can't remember now... But I'll think about it
Old 11-08-2021, 05:33 PM   #416
Skorobagatko

Quote:
new update with some of the mentioned changes and Linux support to capture screenshot. It doesn't capture the entire plugin automatically, but it lets you define a rectangle area manually. so you can use it also to capture any other area of the screen, not only the plugin.

* v1.4.0 (2021-11-08)
+ File right click menu: Delete... (delete template and associated files: image, audio previews, .cfg)
+ File right click menu: Set Screenshot... (for adding or changing screenshots for existing templates)
+ Support Screenshot capture in Linux (interactive region capture, when cross cursor, drag rectangle to define capture area)
# Shorter window title name, to avoid large tabs when docked (thanks @Skorobagatko)
# bug fix when cancelling setting Send values for a template (thanks @Skorobagatko)
Thanks a lot!
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:56 AM   #417
pcp

Phenomenal, what a ninja script this is now. It's reliable, intuitive and looks great, after setting up the default render preferences and a shortcut to the new custom action I'm saving ideas with one click into Media Explorer with all the metadata that Reaper can handle. Actually better than Studio One's implementation of musicloops in several ways. Thank you heda!
Old 11-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #418
Reflected

Yessssssssssss
the workflow is 10x more practical now with the time selection rendering!
Thank you so much heda!

Quote:
he limitation was done for some reason I can't remember now... But I'll think about it
thanks for the thought! this way it will fit reaper's default behaviour which is very intuative.

ps - it could be sweet if the theme colors could be saved in away that it won't back to default every update. (for now I just copy paste the old theme's files)
Old 11-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #419
UknownSource

Quote:

* v1.4.0 (2021-11-08)
That was fast and super awesome!
ty!!

Can you please add a global gain knob to control the level of the demos?
Old 11-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #420
Reflected

For some reason I can't save multiple tracks together as one template anymore (?) :X
Old 11-09-2021, 07:29 PM   #421
pcp

Quote:
For some reason I can't save multiple tracks together as one template anymore (?) :X
Just confirmed this here unfortunately (on Windows, Reaper 6.40). I tried disabling screen capture and the new render time selection and keep render format settings, to see if one of those was the cause, but it still now saves a multi-out instrument or multiple track selections as separate track templates.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:44 AM   #422
UknownSource

Quote:
confirmed here too

however I do like the option to save the selected multiple tracks as separated templates.
it can be very handy when I want to save all the tracks of my current song as templates separately for later usage.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:44 AM   #423
Skorobagatko

Quote:
Originally Posted by UknownSource View Post
confirmed here too

however I do like the option to save the selected multiple tracks as separated templates.
it can be very handy when I want to save all the tracks of my current song as templates separately for later usage.
Both options would be super handy to have.
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:56 AM   #424
heda

I've been working this morning on multiple track templates support as separated templates or combined, and folder support.
I should test it a bit more... or are you brave enough to test it?
I still haven't done support for capturing screenshot of the VSTi if multiple tracks are exported combined.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:04 AM   #425
heda

Default v1.4.1 (2021-11-10)

ok here it is... I hope it works in all cases now

* v1.4.1 (2021-11-10)
+ Save multiple selected tracks in one template support
+ Save Template folder with children tracks selecting only the folder track
+ Setting: Export multiple tracks as separated templates
Old 11-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #426
pcp

Wonderful, I'm stoked to try this out when I get home. Bossdev move to turn a fleeting bug into a useful new feature! Will stress test it by digging out my most baroque sudechained multi-out routings
For screenshotting multi-track templates, I think if there's only one vsti then capping that would be the obvious move, as non vsti tracks are prob audio or FX sends. And if there are multiple vstis then could either put a generic multi-track icon (like in your STsi script) to signal that it's a multi-track, or just take the topmost vsti and if people want to change it they can do so with yourtool to change manually, or just by dragging the feature track to the top of the TCP before saving.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #427
Reflected

Quote:
ok here it is... I hope it works in all cases now

* v1.4.1 (2021-11-10)
+ Save multiple selected tracks in one template support
+ Save Template folder with children tracks selecting only the folder track
+ Setting: Export multiple tracks as separated templates
yes yes yes yes yes!!!
Thank you so much!!!

first test = perfect!
Old 11-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #428
pcp

I can't seem to render a multi-track template as a single audio preview, have I missed an option somewhere? I have render settings set to Source: Master Mix but after running Track Templates it changes to Source: Selected Tracks (Stems) and I get multiple wavs (which present as separate dropdown options when clicking the play button in TT).
I do have the 'Export Multiple Tracks as Separated Templates' deselected, and deselecting 'Keep Current Render Format instead of OGG' does the same thing.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:20 AM   #429
heda

ah... thanks... when exporting a folder, it will render the folder instead of separated children tracks... but when exporting multiple selected tracks it renders individual tracks audio. I think it should keep the master render instead of selected tracks then... fixing....

Quote:
ps - it could be sweet if the theme colors could be saved in away that it won't back to default every update. (for now I just copy paste the old theme's files)
@Reflected....
Don't replace the files on the script folder. Copy your edited theme file to the Track Templates VIP settings folder. Then the script will read the theme from there and that one won't be deleted with the updates.

Also, if new variables on the theme are introduced on a update, then the default variables are still read from the script folder theme file and merged with the custom variables of your theme in the settings folder.

Last edited by heda; 11-11-2021 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:25 AM   #430
heda

Default v1.4.2 (2021-11-11)

Now it should maintain your render source settings to Master track if rendering multiple tracks to one combined template. It also does solo the tracks before rendering so that only the selected tracks are rendered to audio through the master.

* v1.4.2 (2021-11-11)
# Don't render individual tracks audio when combining to one template
+ Control audio preview volume (CTRL+UP and DOWN ARROWS)
Old 11-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #431
pcp

Wow... Works like a dream! Thanks so much, it's just amazing now, being able to quickly save out ideas like this was the only thing I was really missing from studio one in reaper and your solution is actally better than S1 in some regards. The temporary track solo trick is very elegant too. I tried it with a synth combined with my normal drum template which has two top level tracks (Battery and a drum buss multi-out folder) and it works flawlessly and instantaneously, I didn't need to select the individual outs in the drum bus. Stellar script!
Old 11-12-2021, 01:05 AM   #432
Reflected

Quote:

@Reflected....
Don't replace the files on the script folder. Copy your edited theme file to the Track Templates VIP settings folder. Then the script will read the theme from there and that one won't be deleted with the updates.

Also, if new variables on the theme are introduced on a update, then the default variables are still read from the script folder theme file and merged with the custom variables of your theme in the settings folder.
Superb!

Quote:
* v1.4.2 (2021-11-11)
# Don't render individual tracks audio when combining to one template
+ Control audio preview volume (CTRL+UP and DOWN ARROWS)
awesome!
btw I love shortcuts but a small knob is always nice for such things

thank you for all these latest updates, big workflow improvements!
Old 11-12-2021, 06:16 AM   #433
heda

I didn't have time to code a knob

It shouldn't be something that you constantly change...
the volume can be more than 1.0 in case you need to increase volume.. not only to decrease from 1.0 to 0.1
the volume limit is infinite.. be careful

I was thinking maybe to add a volume setting per template... but maybe it is easier to just normalize all the audio files externally with the batch convert or something.

Thank you all for the nice comments and I'm glad you find it useful.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:59 PM   #434
UknownSource

wonderful updates!!!

And oh yes a volume knob can be very useful
Old 11-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #435
kotsaris

Somehow I messed up after updating and TT doesn't work anymore.
It says: 549 attempt to index a nil value(local "installed version".
Any solutions?
kotsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #436
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotsaris View Post
Somehow I messed up after updating and TT doesn't work anymore.
It says: 549 attempt to index a nil value(local "installed version".
Any solutions?
Whad did you do?
I don't know... maybe, have you tried to click uninstall, and then Install again?
Old 11-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #437
Reflected

bug?
when saving a template with some muted tracks, it export (render) the audio demo with the muted track (you can hear the muted tracks)
Old 11-15-2021, 06:29 AM   #438
kotsaris

Quote:
Whad did you do?
I don't know... maybe, have you tried to click uninstall, and then Install again?
Your simple advice worked.Thanks!
kotsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #439
Reflected

got a crash:

__DEV__Track Templates VIP.lua:1594: attempt to index a nil value (local 'f')

I tried to save the folder track (named :: folders : see in the image below
Old 11-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #440
heda

the muted tracks are rendered because the script is soloing the tracks when rendering and soloing overrides the mute
I'll fix to not solo muted tracks.

thanks for the crash report... I think it is the : character which is not valid for a file name. I should check the track name to be compatible with file names.