Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-02-2023, 04:25 PM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v6.73+dev0102 - January 2 2023

v6.73+dev0102 - January 2 2023
  • * Includes feature branch: routing matrix/track wiring input activity indicators
  • * Includes feature branch: preview item selection for grouped tracks
  • * Includes feature branch: VST3 per-channel silence reporting compatibility option
  • * Includes feature branch: better .RfxChain media explorer and clipboard integration
  • * Includes feature branch: ReaReaRea timestretch mode
  • * Includes feature branch: GR metering as embedded UI for third-party VSTs
  • * Includes feature branch: JSFX new features and EEL2 preprocessor
  • * Includes feature branch: render dialog statistics display improvements
  • * Includes feature branch: selected media item appearance changes
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + Color theme: add theme elements for razor edit area fill/outline in fixed-lane tracks
  • + IDEs: improve autocomplete behavior when using EEL2 namespaces [t=274334]
  • + Media item lanes: add controls to razor edits on fixed lane tracks to move area without contents, copy contents to first playing lane
  • + Media item lanes: when razor edit areas exist on fixed-lane tracks, play only the media within the razor edit area
  • + Preferences: fix searching when starting from plug-in registered preferences page [t=274326]
  • + Razor edits: fix restoring master track razor edits on project load
  • + Track routing menu: improve keyboard navigation/screen reader behavior for sends
  • + Track routing menu: improve screen reader behavior for hardware output list
  • + Undo: consolidate undo points when inserting multiple FX via action [t=274365]
  • + Windows: reduce flicker in actions window
  • # Media item lanes: always allow editing the top/bottom edge of razor edits on fixed lane tracks
  • # Media item lanes: improve lane header button hit testing [p=2629798]
  • # Media item lanes: optimize some processing to only occur after media item edits on fixed-lane tracks
  • # Razor edit: fix action to create automation item within razor edit on master track
  • # Razor edit: fix undo when moving razor edits containing media items across tracks
  • # Razor edits: fix pasting to play rate envelope when razor edit spans multiple tracks [p=2629769]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #2
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
+ Media item lanes: when razor edit areas exist on fixed-lane tracks, play only the media within the razor edit area
Now we should push it to the limit!
We need non-contiguous playback/render based on razor edits. Non-contiguous not only in time, but also in tracks.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:51 PM   #3
vitalker

Quote:
We need non-contiguous playback/render based on razor edits. Non-contiguous not only in time, but also in tracks.
Also freezing/locking razor edits makes even more sense since now.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:46 PM   #4
Mercado_Negro

I think having two or more lanes playing simultaneously when razor edit areas are superposed is not something desired. The last razor edit area should delete part of a previous razor edit area and play only that.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:56 PM   #5
ferropop

This is nice and approximates the "cycle takes" in classic Reaper comping.

When committing to top lane, I don't think the Razor Area should move TO the top lane. It should stay where it was, as you are focused on the material AT the RE.

Last edited by ferropop; 01-02-2023 at 06:17 PM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:00 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

FWIW here is an example of using the new razor edit preview to choose between multiple recording passes:

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:10 PM   #7
ferropop

What's the workflow intention here?

ie,

1. Make a track
2. Set it to Fixed Lanes
3. Record Arm
4. Record multiple passes
5. Make a RE to listen to a section

All good so far.

6. Commit to Top Lane, or First Playing lane?

The "Top Lane" can't be assumed to be a "comp" lane, it just happens to be the first recording pass.

The "First Play Lane" can't be assumed to be a "comp" lane either, it just happens to be your last recording pass.

...so do we have to first create an empty "top lane" and remember to keep it as a dedicated "comp" lane? Is that level of freedom (ie lack of rigidity) really a good idea?

I'm comparing this to classic comping which enforces a functional "active take" workflow. I can see this behaving wildly if you don't super carefully plan to not destroy your takes.

Last edited by ferropop; 01-02-2023 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:20 PM   #8
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
FWIW here is an example of using the new razor edit preview to choose between multiple recording passes:

This is great, schwa. I tested it a few minutes ago and it works nicely that way. Now, what I see that's counterproductive is having two or more razor edit areas on two or more different lanes playing at the same time like this:

I think only the latest created razor edit area should delete the previous and play.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:22 PM   #9
ferropop

Given that there's nothing concretely special about the Top Lane or the Currently Playing lane, it just feels dangerous to be able to "commit" to these two arbitrary options.

How about :

LANE FOLDERS.

Lanes in a Lane Folder commit TO THE FOLDER parent. A single predictable location, no ambiguity of where you are committing to.
analogous to CURRENT REAPER comping - the Lane Folder would act as the "ITEM CONTAINER" that shows the Active Take - but without the splits mess!

ie, there's a COMPS folder, and a TAKES folder.

You record INTO the TAKES folder, and commit TO THE TAKES FOLDER parent.

Then you Move stuff from the TAKES FOLDER parent into the COMPS folder, and pick one as "Active/Playing".
OR just leave the TAKE FOLDER as your Active/Playing lane. Same thing, that's what gets sent out!

Your COMPS folder could hold different comps that you dragged into it. Or a Melodyne'd version. Or Whatever. We need a way to organize!

And if there was versioning ON LANE FOLDERS, this could be the mechanism that lets you store multiple COMPS. A version would just be "the state of the lane folder during snapshot".

Last edited by ferropop; 01-02-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:50 PM   #10
ferropop

Not sure if Play Markers are making a return...

...but currently there's no way to visualize WHERE the committed pieces came from, other than maybe color.

Classic Reaper comping there was zero ambiguity -- the thing that's highlighted is what you hear. There needs to be a way to connect the committed comp to the source.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:57 PM   #11
musicbynumbers

I've not had a chance to try it yet but maybe in the short term if there is already audio on the top lane when moving a razor selected area up to it, reaper should create a new top lane for the edit to go into?
Old 01-02-2023, 11:59 PM   #12
Embass

Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:34 AM   #13
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Given that there's nothing concretely special about the Top Lane or the Currently Playing lane, it just feels dangerous to be able to "commit" to these two arbitrary options.

How about :

LANE FOLDERS.
Sounds like another 6 months of development/testing to me.

Maybe just have another lane type called C for comp which does not have to be there by default.
After a comp has been made and new recordings are needed they would not appear in the C lane at the top.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:48 AM   #14
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
This is great, schwa. I tested it a few minutes ago and it works nicely that way. Now, what I see that's counterproductive is having two or more razor edit areas on two or more different lanes playing at the same time like this:

I think only the latest created razor edit area should delete the previous and play.
I fully disagree. If you want one area, you draw one area. If you want to hear multiple lanes, you draw more areas.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:51 AM   #15
vitalker

Quote:
And I was not talking about only fixed-laned tracks.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:51 AM   #16
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post

Maybe just have another lane type called C for comp which does not have to be there by default.
After a comp has been made and new recordings are needed they would not appear in the C lane at the top.
It's important being able to create multiple comps and to be able to comp from a comp.

And I have still a visual problem with lanes: If you got 50 takes (sounds much but it isn't, if you record song part after song part and wanna have a new lane per take...) you don't see anything, even at 100% zoom at my 34" 4k monitor. That's why I think lanes need to be on separate lane subtracks
Old 01-03-2023, 03:01 AM   #17
BartR

Default RAZOR EDIT ON LANES

Is it normal?

In case I'm "razoring" multiple lanes, and I move up/down into lanes, even erroneously, I can easily correct.
In case I'm "razoring" multiple lanes and erroneously I go up where nor lane is forecast, I can't go back. I have to re-razor

BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:08 AM   #18
Vagelis

Quote:
v6.73+dev0102 - January 2 2023[*]+ Media item lanes: when razor edit areas exist on fixed-lane tracks, play only the media within the razor edit area
Thanks for this but i feel it's a half baked feature. Can you please give us the same functionality with previous markers where everything outside them was muted but for razor edits in lanes?

I have a couple of items in lanes and i choose some parts of it. When it's playing the parts without razor edits i can hear all items in lanes which is not very relative to comping.

I don't want to solo a lane each time we comp with razor edits, i would prefer if all lanes become automatically muted when razor edits exists and play only those parts.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:09 AM   #19
souk21

Quote:
[*]+ IDEs: improve autocomplete behavior when using EEL2 namespaces [t=274334]
Thanks

Quote:
+ IDE/gfx.getchar: more international keyboard support tweaks for Windows (will probably break things)
About this, I wanted to let you know that there are multiple reports of scripts breaking.
I came across these: Quick Adder, Build Your Own Toolbar, Key Sequences

The bugs seem related to gfx_getchar and possibly the JS_API as well.
I can't reproduce on OSX but I'll try to pinpoint it for key sequences on Windows asap
souk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:15 AM   #20
Vagelis

Also can we have a top master lane dedicated for comping that would always show/add automatically the sum of all razor edits in lanes and which it could be hidden at any time, including an option to collapse the rest lanes and show only the master top lane?

Edit: Maybe would be easier and more simple if we could change to comping mode when we show this top lane and when we hide it lanes would work only for layering?
Old 01-03-2023, 03:19 AM   #21
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Also can we have a top master lane dedicated for comping that would always show/add automatically the sum of all razor edits in lanes and which it could be hidden at any time, including an option to collapse the rest lanes and show only the master top lane?
It would make sense, if we were able to freeze/lock razor edits, because now you can accidentally change it and your comps are gone.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:20 AM   #22
vitalker

Quote:
Edit: Maybe would be easier and more simple if we could change to comping mode when we show this top lane and when we hide it lanes would work only for layering?
Yes, it should be different somehow than normal lanes.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:26 AM   #23
Vagelis

Quote:
Yes, it should be different somehow than normal lanes.
Yes I strongly believe that, We can't have both layering and comping at the same time, so this could be a way to separate them and let us work the way we want. Right now i feel they interfere with each other and comping gets less than layering.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:07 AM   #24
Triode

Conversely, I'm used to organising Pro Tools sessions and in that DAW the first lane doesn't have any special status. Since we can label and create new lanes after initial layering, I'd be happy to comp to a labeled comp lane as is.

I'm open to other options if they occur but a "special status comping lane" could be limiting in other ways depending on how it's implemented.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:16 AM   #25
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
Conversely, I'm used to organising Pro Tools sessions and in that DAW the first lane doesn't have any special status. Since we can label and create new lanes after initial layering, I'd be happy to comp to a labeled comp lane as is.

I'm open to other options if they occur but a "special status comping lane" could be limiting in other ways depending on how it's implemented.
I don't like pro tools and its comping system and i see many users coming from there they want to make Reaper as pro tools which is not nice for the rest users who didn't use or like pro tools. I could say that Cubase implementation with lanes is much closer to Reaper but still Imo i believe Reaper should have its own comping system since it's different than anything else.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:22 AM   #26
Triode

What happens when you arrive at a comp and then decide you like parts of it and need to comp from a comp? (like Gass raised). There needs to be a certain amount of open endedness in the system..
Old 01-03-2023, 04:28 AM   #27
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
What happens when you arrive at a comp and then decide you like parts of it and need to comp from a comp? (like Gass raised). There needs to be a certain amount of open endedness in the system..
Maybe you just drag that comp to the lane adder area to create a new lane with this comp at the bottom and start comping it again?

You can always add as many new elements you want to comp to the lane add area.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:30 AM   #28
Embass

Old 01-03-2023, 04:42 AM   #29
Odys

My suggestion:

Comping submode for fixed lanes

Comping lane always on top, markers don't disappear, select desired take with quick swap method with swipe or arrows from top track or individual takes

Comping versions and toggle between comping and editing. Edit, turn back to comping mode and select favorite.

Comping doesn't have just be to select best version of a take but also can be used as super-duper patchworking sound design tool. Edit, turn back to comping mode and select favorite.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:44 AM   #30
Vagelis

I'd like to express why in the past i was suggesting to have another tool for comping and another for editing(Razor edits)

Now with this implementation we can't edit and comp at the same time in lanes, only if we send the comps to a new lane and edit the sum from there.

If we had another modifier for comping and another for editing would make things much easier but at the same time we would have more control.

My suggestion remains to have a comping tool that would allow the selected areas to stay visible even when we edit the item in it (split/stretch etc) and use razor edits for editing.

Back with the markers this was possible somehow, the items inside markers were always audible and i could drag a muted part in it to listen to it while the track was playing without messing the initial comp. Now i can't edit in lanes without razor edits been removed.

Last edited by Vagelis; 01-03-2023 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:10 AM   #31
Embass

Old 01-03-2023, 05:36 AM   #32
cfillion

Quote:
+ Preferences: fix searching when starting from plug-in registered preferences page [t=274326]
Thank you!
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 05:42 AM   #33
Embass

Old 01-03-2023, 05:45 AM   #34
Vagelis

Another problem i've noticed when comping with razor edits, is that when i make a selection e.g to the first lane and then a second selection to the second lane that's overlapping with the first one, RE automatically selects both lanes and when we commit the result we get overlapped items.
I would prefer to automatically move the edges of the selections when they overlap so it gets selected only one lane when this happens. Just like the first implementation of play markers. Maybe all these could be solved with a dedicated comping tool that could act that way.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:17 AM   #35
Embass

Old 01-03-2023, 06:18 AM   #36
Embass

Old 01-03-2023, 06:20 AM   #37
Embass

Old 01-03-2023, 06:35 AM   #38
Embass

Old 01-03-2023, 06:55 AM   #39
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Another problem i've noticed when comping with razor edits, is that when i make a selection e.g to the first lane and then a second selection to the second lane that's overlapping with the first one, RE automatically selects both lanes and when we commit the result we get overlapped items.
I would prefer to automatically move the edges of the selections when they overlap so it gets selected only one lane when this happens. Just like the first implementation of play markers. Maybe all these could be solved with a dedicated comping tool that could act that way.

This is exactly what I was suggesting because it doesn't make any sense to have two or more razor edit areas playing at the same time.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:58 AM   #40
vitalker

Quote:
+ IDEs: improve autocomplete behavior when using EEL2 namespaces [t=274334]
Would be also great to have independent shortcuts for saving and running code in IDE.