Old 11-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
Electric Ring
Human being with feelings

Default Bluetooth Audio and Reaper Strange Problem

So I got this set of Nakamichi bluetooth headphones for a low price, and figured I would try them:

http://www.nakamichi-usa.com/index.p...ooth-headphone

They work great with my IPhone 5S, and with my iMac, and they are relatively comfortable. I bought a plugable bluetooth 4.0 dongle for my XP machine at work:

http://plugable.com/products/usb-bt4le

So this relates to Reaper as follows. On either my iMac, or my XP machine, whenever I try to use Reaper and select the bluetooth headphones as the audio out, the audio sounds very compressed and band filtered. Sounds terrible. I have tried all of the various output options (DirectSound, WaveOut, etc.) this morning on my XP machine at work, changing bit depths, sample rates, buffering, and no change. I had a similar problem on the iMac, but I don't remember if I was able to solve it somehow, I think maybe some sequence of rebooting the headphones worked?

I was listening to something on Spotify, and as soon as I opened Reaper, the audio not only from Reaper, but streaming from my browser also sounded bad, like I said, no bass, bandpass filtered sounding, terribly wrong. Audio stops when Reaper is opened for a minute, then restarts. As soon as I start navigating the menus of Reaper, the sound changed to be crappy. It seems clear to me Reaper is somehow interfering with the computers audio functionality with a bluetooth device. Any project I play back in Reaper sounds terrible.

Now it is strange that reaper would be impacting other audio playing on the machine. I am stumped on this one. There are not a lot of controls on the Broadcom stack/plugable software for the bluetooth device. It works fine until I introduce Reaper into the mix. I am a few updates behind, currently at 4.59 on the XP machine, not sure what I am running on the iMac. I am going to upgrade to 4.75 and see what happens.

Any ideas? Is this a bug in Reaper?
Electric Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Ring View Post

Any ideas? Is this a bug in Reaper?
Depending on the BT device, it may show up with different versions in windows playback devices with those using different bandwidths. I use a blue orb mono BT device that I take into various rooms to test mixes. It's really convenient to test mixes in different rooms and in mono this way...

Point being it had the same issue until I switched it to use the highest bandwidth setting/version of the BT playback device; otherwise it streamed a very low-fi signal over the BT connection to save bandwidth. In my case the device driver exposed multiple versions for this reason.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Electric Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Point being it had the same issue until I switched it to use the highest bandwidth setting/version of the BT playback device
The headphones properties in the Sounds control has a "default format" setting, and it is set to 2 channel, 16bit, 48kHz. The selector is greyed out though, so I assume that means this setting is my only option. The other two advanced options are "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority." I suspect that these last two check boxes are why Reaper is impacting other streaming audio. There is a also the Test button that plays back a test sample which sounds fine when Reaper is closed. Is there somewhere besides the "sound" panel where you changed a setting?

Upgrades to 4.75, no change. I will try rebooting everything and see if that does anything.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Ring View Post
Is there somewhere besides the "sound" panel where you changed a setting?
I actually don't know. I thought mine showed up as duplicate devices in windows and I had to choose the one with the higher bandwidth. I may also have not been using Reaper explicitly at the time and more likely a rendered mix now that I think about it. Sorry, it's been several months since I ran across the problem an fixed it so I don't remember all the details.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Electric Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I actually don't know. I thought mine showed up as duplicate devices in windows and I had to choose the one with the higher bandwidth. I may also have not been using Reaper explicitly at the time and more likely a rendered mix now that I think about it. Sorry, it's been several months since I ran across the problem an fixed it so I don't remember all the details.
No worries, thanks for the fast reply.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #6
Dangel

Default Blue tooth problem with reaper on Mac

Hi,

I have read your post it seems that there is a problem with blue tooth connection with reaper.

I have the same problem strange sound and filtered...

Some people that know how to resolve the problem ?

Kind regards,

Dangel
Dangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:17 AM   #7
osiris

The problem is that you bluetooth headphones likely have a microphone, which can only be set to 8khz. So Reaper will default all sound to that.

In MacOS you can select set your computer to use the headphones as output and internal mic as input, and then use "System default devices" in Reaper, or you can create a compound audio device and select that.

There are still potential problems though, my headset only does 44.1 kHz so any tracks in 48 kHz get resampled when I use it...