Old 10-04-2017, 04:12 AM   #41
BobF
Human being with feelings

I wasn't aware that DaVinci had provided art work that was intended to be a functional interface for a tool that someone would presumably use for extended periods. I don't recall having ever read about DaVinci putting his work on display, soliciting feedback.

I've already stated that this is a wonderfully done theme. If I had the PS skills, I certainly would do my own.

Maybe in the future solicitations for feedback should provide boundaries/acceptable feedback guidelines, along with whatever qualifications/certifications the person providing feedback needs to have.

I said it's a minor thing. Geez.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:00 AM   #42
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Maybe in the future solicitations for feedback should provide boundaries/acceptable feedback guidelines, along with whatever qualifications/certifications the person providing feedback needs to have.

I said it's a minor thing. Geez.
You criticised a theme. Someone criticised your criticism. You are now criticising the criticism of your criticism.

Please try not see this post as a criticism of your criticism of the criticism of your criticism.

If anyone wishes to criticise me for criticising his criticism of the criticism of his criticism, please feel free. But it probably won't help anyone make a theme.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #43
benf

As nobody has the same colour perception, independantly of the growing age vision problems which cause brightness and readibility problems, I don't think anybody can do a theme that fits to everybody.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #44
sostenuto

HAAALP !!!!

Went to Stash amd downloaded ... now on 3rd try, and not getting anything like what is showing here.
Likely oldheimer's issue here, but wondering if current Stash link is ok ?

Reaper 5.5.2 and seems to only display unknown Theme.
How to clear everything out so only new RE[a]DD Theme loads ? Tried Closing, New Project, but no RE[a]DD ....

Never had anything like this before ... v5.5.2 ?? Unzipped RE[a}DD in Download Folder and double-clicked. Reaper opens but not to this Theme. Now always returns to unknown Theme no matter what I do. Even opened New project to another reliable Theme, saved, closed, tried RE[A]DD zip again, and back to earlier Unk Theme.

Unistalled Reaper v5.5.2, reinstalled, no change.
---------------------------------------------------

(edit) Have (2) Reaper v5.5.2 DAW(s). Exact same process on DAW (2) and all is fine ....
Obviously some settings bad and will start checking ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper_RE[a]DD Scrnsht Resize.jpg (44.2 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by sostenuto; 10-05-2017 at 08:11 PM.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #45
hopi

try this

when you unzipped what you downloaded it likely made a folder that includes the toolbars and other parts for Redd...

you don't 'have' to use those to see the basic REDD theme... but you MUST use the file named

RE[a]DD.ReaperThemeZip

so... copy that into the root of your Reaper\ColorThemes folder

then inside reaper, go to options\themes [the top line of menus] and you should see RE[a]DD as a choice... clk on it
Old 10-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #46
sostenuto

Done.
So cool !!! Still using some of your Spectrasonics/Nebula help from looong ago.

Perfect, easy solution and all is fine. Had RE[a]DD zip 'folder' in there, but clearly not what was correct.
Not sure why the same process on other DAW worked differently on this one .... but cockpit error most likely.

Always good to see your posts, as I still monitor Forum ... just don't post much now.

THX and take care.

Last edited by sostenuto; 10-06-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #47
sostenuto

Need to allow some time for 'newness' to wear off ... but really like this Theme !!
Old 10-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #48
cprompt

Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty theme.
cprompt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #49
madahorn

I am confused...

"Feedback and suggestion welcomed in the 'RE[a]DD' thread ('Reaper Theme Files and Color Sets' forum)."
I would not have given my 2 cents if it was not asked for.

Love the theme greatly...I wish there was and anti-glare version.
I may try your suggestion of modifying the .png myself.

Thanks.

Last edited by madahorn; 10-06-2017 at 11:17 PM.
madahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:08 AM   #50
cubic13

Default v1.20 is in the stash...

Sorry for the late answer and, hopi, thanks for helping sostenuto !
@BobF & madahorn : no harm done, really. Check the update described below : maybe you'll feel better with this one...

------
So, another update, that I couldn't avoid, as it brings few more enhancements that were needed, in my view, especially the two first ones...

1) The more evident : I changed both the mixer faders background and the thumbs and increased their movement length. While I was at it, I recalibrate the scale to the Reaper default -72/+12 dB fader range, the meters staying with a -72/+6dB one. Think it's much more REDD looking, this way (screenshots updated in the first post)...

2) An enhancement that I should never had to do : actually, when I received the project, the first thing that I did is was to try optimizing it as much as I could and, among others, I got rid of all the overlays that were going with the buttons. Wrong move and I quickly regret it ! But I was still afraid to reintroduce them, dreading the 2 Mb stash ceiling, until the last 1.10 update : I saw then that there was still room for them. So I recreated them all, optimizing each one as much as I could, while hoping that all would fit. The result is that the button labels no longer act as if they were part of the control, allowing a much easier use of any right-clicking and makes the whole thing more coherent, workflow related.

3) Added : the still missing 'Original tint' layout for the transport bar.

4) Few more optimizations in the tcp, the main one aimed to allow a more persistent view of the tcp.fxin control which was disappearing as soon as the tcp panel width was going under 440 pixels.

@users of previous versions : only the .ReaperThemeZip file needs to be updated.

Think I'm almost done with this theme. Hope it will be useful for some of you...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #51
BobF

Nice update. The additional clarity in/around the faders is a big improvement for me.

Much thanks
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #52
cprompt

I love this this theme, thank you so much for your hard work and effort that has gone in to it.

As you can see, it goes well with the Waves Redd!

cprompt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #53
sostenuto

Ha! Glad for my careless install error ... as it stirred up some fine posts !
BIG bonus getting this Update !!

Such a distinct and cool theme that I hope many will check out !

Many thanks, @ cubic13 !!!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #54
madahorn

Hey, thanks for the updates!
madahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:37 AM   #55
hopi

Hi Cubic... nice update... one possible niggle:

the text that gets shown on the TCP REC IN field....
as it is now it is left justified...
I think it would look consistently better if it was center justified...
I don't know if that is possible, so I'm just 'saying'...
Old 10-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #56
cubic13

Thanks to you all !

@cprompt
Interesting to see the two confronted. It gives me one or two ideas for further improvements, by the way...

@hopi
I have often wondered if, indeed, centering this text wouldn't be better. The problem is this one : as long as the whole text is short enough, yes, it would be better to center it. The issue arises when your MIDI interface, as mine, is displayed as a rather long chain such as this one : E-DSP MIDI Port 2 [EC00]. Is it better to center it in this case ? Walter neither allows a test on a chain length, nor gives us the ability to truncate a chain.

Added to this, there is a theming issue. Theoretically (according to the available documentation), you can left align, center or right align this parameter value display with the matching Walter statement (the fifth parameter is the one involved here : 0 for let alignment, 0.5 for center, 1 for right alignment).

Left aligned, using set tcp.recinput.margin [4 5 4 3 0], I get this :
MIDI:E-DSP MIDI Port 2 [E

Centered, using set tcp.recinput.margin [4 5 4 3 0.5], I get this :
MIDI:E-DSP MIDI Port 2 [E

An finally, right aligned, using set tcp.recinput.margin [4 5 4 3 1], I get this :
rt 2 [EC00]: All channels

In other words, the 0.5 value, as fifth parameter for horizontal centering doesn't work. This is a Walter bug, supposed to be solved by the bakers, and it's not the only one. So, I'm afraid that we'll have to do with the present situation...
Old 10-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #57
hopi

ah another f##king bug.. %^(

oh well, thanks for the clear explain... and I guess we gotta live with it...for now

I might imagine a solution IF we could use an alias name for the MIDI interface[s]
Old 10-09-2017, 01:32 AM   #58
SwampDonkey

now wheres that cat that does all the 200% upscale theme mods...
SwampDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:23 AM   #59
benf

Hey Cubic,
Thanks a lot for this fine work. Love it !
Old 10-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #60
Jimmy James

This is really good and going well. When I used the Waves plug I would always think "Man this would make a rad theme". And now it does!
Waves has amazing looking plugins. The Redd and the Kramer plugs. I wish I had both in a Theme.
But thank you for making a Theme like this. I have made a template loaded with this theme, Waves Redd, Abbey Road, and some other vintage plugs. Super cool!

Fingers Crossed for Eddie Kramer v1 theme.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #61
Jimmy James

I know this isnt straight from the plugin. But I do like how the plug is blackish around the fader for the meter.
I also dig the knobs for pan and such more on the plugin. I think those could be spruced up a touch. Amazing job though.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:41 AM   #62
G-Sun

Really cool looking theme. Thanks!

No link in first post. Not released?

Suggestion: Although I understand the name-choice RE[a]DD
it doesn't look that good (the name itself). I suggest dropping the [a].
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:59 AM   #63
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I know this isnt straight from the plugin. But I do like how the plug is blackish around the fader for the meter.
I also dig the knobs for pan and such more on the plugin. I think those could be spruced up a touch. Amazing job though.
Hi, JJ

Could you post a little screenshot concerning these ? Just to see if I could do something about them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Really cool looking theme. Thanks!

No link in first post. Not released?

Suggestion: Although I understand the name-choice RE[a]DD
it doesn't look that good (the name itself). I suggest dropping the [a].
Hi, G-Sun

And sorry... The link has probably been accidently deleted the last time I did an update of the post. So, I just put it back.

About the name, well, I got the project with this one and didn't feel like changing it, as I guess that it has been named to follow the three first letters of 'Reaper'...

Last edited by cubic13; 10-29-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #64
Jimmy James

The EMI stuff is the coolest ever. I have drooled over it for years. Now, this is just me getting picky or making a wish list. I think the fader part could be more black. And maybe the default color be more like my pick. I made it close to the original as I could. I made the Master like the EMI grey. Also the Master being EMI grey would look "slicker than greased owl sh1t" with the red knob.

The pan knob blends in to much imho. None of it need to be just like the waves plug. I only showed that because waves spends a heap of money on the gfx design.
Just as we reference a mix, I am using these plugins the same.

A slide switch might be cool as well for the bypass. And a left to right long throw switch for the Solo.
Analog Meters would make my mind explode, but I am guessing that is super hard.
XLR or 1/4 jacks would be super neat.

If you had a layout with the default colors, it would also beat super cool if the colors would change the fader knob and the fader meter only? Maybe soft color.
The second link has ideas for the color. It looks really cool up close. Amazing work bro!

Oh, is it at all possible to put a high and low pass on each channel use the js plug? Like each channel in the mixer would have to chicken head knobs that do that.
Am I just dreaming with that? I don't know what is and not possible.

Thanks for your time and amazing work!

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/yy...5b5c4/Redd.png

http://koschuh.com/audio/emi_console...26/artikel.htm

Last edited by Jimmy James; 11-01-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #65
Jimmy James

I figured I might as well be a total pain, and throw out 1 more cent to make 3.

In the mixer control panel, it would be rad to have a blank track. I like to add 3 blank tracks or so to break up the mixer control panel. Makes the workflow really smooth.

IMG example direct: http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps72ckeim5.png

Last edited by Jimmy James; 11-01-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:29 AM   #66
cubic13

Hi, Jimmy and thank for chiming in. So, let's take all this in order :

1) Concerning the fader, which part should be more black ?

2) About the pan/width knobs, I guess that you mean that they aren't enough visible from the background ?

3) The slide switches for bypass and solo. Hmmm, why not ? But let me see first if there is enough place for them, especially in the 'Narrow' layouts.

4) Sadly, no 'analog' meter addition is possible. The meters in Reaper are managed with a specific process that can't be touched. The only things we can do about them are changing their colors and backgrounds.

5) Concerning the faders color, it can be done but only as additional layouts. And for each color, both a subfolder and a graphic file need to be created. I cannot do this with the present state of the project : it would take too much place, as, to be credible, at least 4 colors should be implemented, this for both the 'Normal' and 'Narrow' already existing layouts. And it's not really a REDD feature : your second link shows clearly that it's part of the EMI TG generation of mixers which followed the REDD one.

6) About the filters, the only way to do so is using the js plug as FX or input FX, adding them in the extended area of the mixer. The only controls that we can put in a mixer strip are listed in the theming documentation. But yes, it would be nice to be able to add a kind of generic one which could be used to start a lua script, in example...

7) About the separators, this is doable, provided that I don't need to create additional mixer and tcp background files. To be honest, they were existing when I received the project and I removed them : they were taking something like 120 kb, which was too much, in my view. I'll see if I can reimplement them in a more economical way.

Beside all this, and in a more general way, you can see that I am almost hitting the dreaded 2 Mb stash ceiling for this theme, so any change need to be carefully weighted. But all this is noted : I'll see what I can do with the present project state. I have more or less planned an update, but I have another project that I want to finish first.

Stay tuned and thanks again for the suggestions.

Last edited by cubic13; 11-02-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #67
hopi

Quote:
5) Concerning the faders color, it can be done but only as additional layouts. And for each color, both a subfolder and a graphic file need to be created. I cannot do this with the present state of the project : it would take too much place, as, to be credible, at least 4 colors should be implemented, this for both the 'Normal' and 'Narrow' already existing layouts. And it's not really a REDD feature : your second link shows clearly that it's part of the EMI TG generation of mixers which followed the REDD one.
hopi's thoughts:

ummm ...even 'if' it is not totally kosher, having the four color sliders is a nice feature to help organize the mixer in a project... and though I know it takes some pixel work, sooner or later someone is gonna do a mod with them... soooooo it might as well be Cubic [the master] so it gets done really right [just my opinion]

then as to the increase in file size... IF indeed it kicks it over the stash limit, then we'd have to compress it as a multipart rar file and a user would have to dl both parts.... this has been done before for some huge files and it's not a terrible thing.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #68
Jimmy James

Thanks Cubic, your so dang cool man. Photobucket won't let me post pictures now. I will link a pix, that makes it easier to see what I mean. Reading your post I think you understand what I am king about. The fader part I was talking about is the dark metal around the fader meter. The switch, pan knob, and colors would be super cool though. And some lane spacers in t mixer.
This theme could really be a top theme for sure. I am really enjoying it.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:35 AM   #69
Garrick

This theme has some serious polish to it. Bravo
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #70
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Thanks Cubic, your so dang cool man. Photobucket won't let me post pictures now. I will link a pix, that makes it easier to see what I mean. Reading your post I think you understand what I am king about. The fader part I was talking about is the dark metal around the fader meter. The switch, pan knob, and colors would be super cool though. And some lane spacers in t mixer.
This theme could really be a top theme for sure. I am really enjoying it.
usually imgur.com will be the safest way these days....
Old 11-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #71
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
hopi's thoughts:

ummm ...even 'if' it is not totally kosher, having the four color sliders is a nice feature to help organize the mixer in a project... and though I know it takes some pixel work, sooner or later someone is gonna do a mod with them... soooooo it might as well be Cubic [the master] so it gets done really right [just my opinion]

then as to the increase in file size... IF indeed it kicks it over the stash limit, then we'd have to compress it as a multipart rar file and a user would have to dl both parts.... this has been done before for some huge files and it's not a terrible thing.
You're probably right and I'm probably too much focused on the 2 Mb ceiling. I'll see what I can do about the faders colors and other stuff asked for by Jimmy in previous posts. Stay tuned...
Old 11-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #72
hopi

I will gladly stay tuned.... and I think I did send you my mod with colors, or did I forget to do that???

anyway I do have one with a few colors and for the most part it works OK...
it could be better and I'd guess that if you do it, it will be better.

It IS a nice addition to the theme IMO

also, I think I mentioned this trick to reduce the file size:

1- in the png's folder, remove ANYTHING that is extra... as I recall there were some copies of png files that did not need to be there...
2- run everything that remains through pngauntlet ...even if this has been done before... let them all comress and overwrite again

3- save it as a xxxx.ReaperThemeZip again and then
use winrar to compress that file to a .rar file.... this really brings the size way down...
Old 11-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #73
Jimmy James

Quote:
usually imgur.com will be the safest way these days....
Thanks for the tip man. I will check it out this afternoon and sign up. I am ditching photovucket.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #74
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
You're probably right and I'm probably too much focused on the 2 Mb ceiling.
try zipping it twice.
compress it in a zip file, then compress that zip file into a new zip file.

lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #75
cubic13

Quote:
I will gladly stay tuned.... and I think I did send you my mod with colors, or did I forget to do that???

anyway I do have one with a few colors and for the most part it works OK...
it could be better and I'd guess that if you do it, it will be better.

It IS a nice addition to the theme IMO

also, I think I mentioned this trick to reduce the file size:

1- in the png's folder, remove ANYTHING that is extra... as I recall there were some copies of png files that did not need to be there...
2- run everything that remains through pngauntlet ...even if this has been done before... let them all comress and overwrite again

3- save it as a xxxx.ReaperThemeZip again and then
use winrar to compress that file to a .rar file.... this really brings the size way down...
Just sent you a PM concerning these and others...
Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #76
hopi

Cubic... thanks just sent a short reply to the PM... lets keep working on all this %^)
Old 12-23-2017, 02:44 AM   #77
cubic13

Default v1.30 is in the stash...

Another update which, I think, was needed. So, in this one :

1) I imported from my AbbeyRoad theme the TCP and envelope managements, which has allowed me to get rid of the endless faders, especially in the envelope panels.

2) As suggested, and with the kind help of hopi who also worked on both :
- I changed the look of buttons when activated,
- I added five colors for the faders thumbs in the mixer as layouts.

3) Several added adjustments have also been done here and there : locked tracks appearance, lightened controls backgrounds, transport fader and buttons...

I would have also liked, as suggested, to set the 'Narrow' layouts in the mixer as default, but too much problems appear, mainly with the master track which doesn't have its own complete set of controls images. So, I gave up : if anyone has suggestions for this...

@users of previous versions : only the .ReaperThemeZip file should be updated.

Let me know what could be improved...
Old 12-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #78
ivansc

Quietly amused hat I now seem to be shuffling between Redd and Abbey Road when mixing these days.
Decisions decisions....

Nice work.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #79
mbuzz

Default Bigger Mute/Solo buttons

I am using a Nextbook tablet for live and recording setup , I could really use larger moite/solo buttons and loose the phase one , I am using this in touch screen mode ( no keyboard or mouse in live mode ) and for the live setup , this would make this a really useful touchscreen THEME ! nice work BTW !