Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 08-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
svijayrathinam
Human being with feelings

Default Video playback issues - urgent help required

Hi all,

I am fairly new to reaper. I am a sound designer working for films. So working for video is my bread and butter. So far I am extremely happy with reaper. But I have one issue. The video playback in reaper is jittery. It's definitely not a codec issue.. I tried H264, Prores, DNX HD, MJPEG etc... It's not an issue with one computer either. I tried on a 8 core Mac pro as well as a 27 inch iMac 5K retina screen. When I play the video it stutters slightly... The same video played with VLC works flawlessly. I tried using FFMPEG, VLC,QT, AV foundation codecs.. Still the problem continues. Same video on the same computer works fine in protools as well as Nuendo.. Can someone pls help? Is there something I am missing out? Of course I am on reaper 5. ( Installed on Mac os Sierra )
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Could have something to do with the framerate set in project settings > video tab. Just a guess.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Could have something to do with the framerate set in project settings > video tab. Just a guess.
The frame rate set is just 24 fps. Typical film video frame rate.. Nothing unusual. The frame rates is set correctly.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #4
svijayrathinam

Pls..any update for this. please help me with this. I have send so many emails to support. Sent whatever you guys asked me to do from my end. Can you pls help me find a solution?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
foxAsteria

I guess you should put a dropbox link to the video so that people can test it for you. But I can tell you that when I've done soundtrack work, the framerate was usually 23.976, not 24.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
drumphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
The frame rate set is just 24 fps. Typical film video frame rate.. Nothing unusual. The frame rates is set correctly.
Yeah, but are you sure that the clip you are working with right now is definitely 24fps? Have you checked? And what foxAsteria said.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I guess you should put a dropbox link to the video so that people can test it for you. But I can tell you that when I've done soundtrack work, the framerate was usually 23.976, not 24.
Film Post work happens always at 24 FPS in my part of the world. TV show post work happens at 25fps in my part of the world. Reaper says it can even support higher frame rates. So this should not be a problem.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #8
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
Yeah, but are you sure that the clip you are working with right now is definitely 24fps? Have you checked? And what foxAsteria said.

The video is definitely 24fps . As I said the video plays perfectly in protools, Nuendo, logic in the same computer. The video plays perfectly fine in VLC, QuickTime, MPEG stream clip. The problem isn't with one video. I feel like a broken record saying the same thing. ��������

The problem is with every video file, every codec used in professional video post world. This also happens in all my Computers not in just one computer. I have 2 Mac pro ( trash can models- 12 core and 6 core), the new 5k iMac, i7 Mac book Pro, i7 Mac mini. All these computers have the problem. The same videos on the same computer plays fine in other daws. This is only with reaper! I checked the frame rate... Codec, I have ffmpeg installed.. I followed everything that reaper recommends.

And pls... Telling me that it works fine for me here isn't a solution. Telling me to switch to Windows is also not a solution. I have written many times to support. They replied to me initially but I have not heard any response from them afterwards. I really don't understand. Why can't reaper handle a simple video when it does so many awesome things with audio? I am just asking for a simple clean video playback. Is this too much to ask?

Check this post. I have been telling people about this everywhere. Still no solution.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=196930

Last edited by svijayrathinam; 11-14-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
foxAsteria

If you want help, upload the video (even just short clip of it).

Reaper has only recently acquired the video editing feature so it's likely that it's not yet perfect. If you're doing professional work then use a more established editor for now. The devs (there are only 2) are also "support," so they won't be able to help everyone with every issue while also developing Reaper. If they couldn't solve it, it's because they couldn't reproduce it and neither can anyone else without a test project. I understand you are frustrated, but getting snippy won't make anyone want to help you more.

I gather from the other thread that no one else is able to reproduce the problem. That's strange since you claim to have it on multiple machines. Still, the only way for this issue to be solved is if someone else can reproduce the issue, which is not possible without a test video.