Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
Bubbagump
Human being with feelings

Default USB interface recommendation

I use a laptop live for sample triggering and up until now it has worked a peach via ASIO4All and the built in junk interface. Alas, the headphone jack gave up the ghost last night and getting the laptop repaired is not really worth it. Can anyone suggest a USB interface that works at very low latencies? I don't even need it to record. It can be play back only.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
vocalid

What about the M-Audio Fast Track series? I've just bought the Ultra 8X8, haven't had much time to try it out, but it got good reviews....
vocalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
soundprizm

What's up bubbagump!? I also do live triggering and use a tascam us-1641, and it gets everything done! No problems with it yet... It's rackmountable so I have it in my rack with me on stage. My setup is: triggers-->rack case-->alesis dm4-->tascam us-1641-->1u rackmount pc (or laptop), all powered by a furman power conditioner. I'm using it with Sensomusic's Usine free until Reaper becomes more "live" adaptable. Just curious, what are you triggering live?

You can also get some usb interface ideas from http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_...faces/low2high
soundprizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
CaptainBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalid View Post
What about the M-Audio Fast Track series? I've just bought the Ultra 8X8, haven't had much time to try it out, but it got good reviews....
I'll ditto that.

I have a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (up to 8 inputs - in reality 6 unless you have SPIDD). 2 headphone sends. all around great, portable, capable unit. I think I got mine at Guitar Center for around $350 early last fall.
CaptainBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump View Post
I use a laptop live for sample triggering and up until now it has worked a peach via ASIO4All and the built in junk interface. Alas, the headphone jack gave up the ghost last night and getting the laptop repaired is not really worth it. Can anyone suggest a USB interface that works at very low latencies? I don't even need it to record. It can be play back only.
Edirol or M-Audio
If you have the budget, the RME Fireface UC offers round-trip latency on par with the best PCI/e units.

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Bubbagump

Seems the FastTrack is the bang for the buck. At $500 for the Edirol or $1200 for RME, I would just get a replacement laptop. Though I have an Mbox Mini I use simply for converting ProTools sessions. I figured by default it would be a mess ASIO wise, but might try it before dropping the cash.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
manning1

bubba...
one input only , but for 99 buks
check out the edirol /cake ua1g.
need a mic pre tho with it.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:15 AM   #8
faun2500

I have just got a RME fireface uc. It's amzing how much different the sound is from my audiophile 24/96 and even my MOTU 34i/o!

So far its been working great. I would have alook at this as its Usb too and seems to work fin with reaper.
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote