Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-19-2021, 06:41 AM   #1
SymboliC
Human being with feelings

Default Questions About OSC/MIDI apps and TouchOSC newer build (Android)

Hi,

I have never bought any MIDI controller (hardware) / OSC. Trying to discover some possibilities app-wise.

Using android phone with MIDI (as a developer mode USB option).

Having several Kontakt instances on different tracks and 16 MIDI channels being routed to each.

My problem is, I can't find any worthy, ease to use, well guided apps on the web.

I have so far tried out TouchOSC (mk1 older verison, with non-responsive faders, bad GUI etc. but an easy layout editor), later I purchased for TouchOSC (mk2 newest build) discovering that it drowns me inside message commands, scripting, etc etc, leaving no time to write music.

Later, I tried demo version of TouchDAW. It acts weird and keeps forgetting my adjustments. Another non-user-friendly Play Store app.

So far, my best bet was having TouchOSC(mk2 new one). But as I said above it is a heavily script/do-it-yourself based app that I can barely understand with what am I dealing.

Do you have any good tutorials for designing layouts for TouchOSC (newer version)?

I can make it connect to Reaper but I don't get any single thing about those address formats i.e. /2/fxpar 4 , /1/trackname and etc...
So called User manual on their website is consisted of clustered tiny bits of pages (sometimes I even don't have internet connection to view it online). There is no PDF manual that covers every fundamentals of programming a layout.

Is there a comprehensive guide for Reaper and OSC integration?

I want to be able to assign CC7, CC11 and some other MIDI controls to an app on my phone to manipulate my MIDI envelopes on the fly.

Thank you!

EDIT : I can for sure assign CC7 and CC11 controls via those apps I mentioned above but I need a programmable layout for using them accross 80-90 MIDI tracks each having their corresponding MIDI CC faders within the app.

EDIT 2 : Also can I replace ReaLearn with ReaControlMIDI? Or are they two different things. Up to now I've always used ReaControlMIDI to manipulate FX parameters of different MIDI tracks. Is it also possible to do it with ReaLearn or does it only extend the functionality of native MIDILearn in Reaper?

Last edited by SymboliC; 09-19-2021 at 06:48 AM.
SymboliC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
TonE

ReaLearn and ReaControlMIDI are two different things yes.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
cjewellstudios

So for your end goal, what I would think your best bet is a combination of the new TouchOSC and CSI.

You can use Reacontrolmidi as a mapped plugin in CSI and the navigation controls and general workflow in CSI will let you fly around your projects.

If you can wait a bit, I have good news on that front. I've been spending the past couple months building a touchosc layout for csi, learning lua and putting it to good use. I'm probably at least a month out from release but I'll include the reacontrolmidi functionality and I'm hoping I can do a video about it (and csi in general) on The Reapee Blog with Jon.

To answer your questions directly:

You should be able to use realearn in conjunction with reacontrolmidi.

There arent really great tuts no. But check out Facebook group TouchOSC Template Makers. Theres a files section with layouts and different tips. Search TouchOSC on YouTube and sort by upload date. Theres a couple there but nothing great. One really long unhelpful one so be careful lol.

There are example layouts that come with the program if you didnt know that, and a really helpful github repo here:

https://github.com/F-l-i-x/TouchOSC/tree/main/examples
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
SymboliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
So for your end goal, what I would think your best bet is a combination of the new TouchOSC and CSI.

You can use Reacontrolmidi as a mapped plugin in CSI and the navigation controls and general workflow in CSI will let you fly around your projects.

If you can wait a bit, I have good news on that front. I've been spending the past couple months building a touchosc layout for csi, learning lua and putting it to good use. I'm probably at least a month out from release but I'll include the reacontrolmidi functionality and I'm hoping I can do a video about it (and csi in general) on The Reapee Blog with Jon.

To answer your questions directly:

You should be able to use realearn in conjunction with reacontrolmidi.

There arent really great tuts no. But check out Facebook group TouchOSC Template Makers. Theres a files section with layouts and different tips. Search TouchOSC on YouTube and sort by upload date. Theres a couple there but nothing great. One really long unhelpful one so be careful lol.

There are example layouts that come with the program if you didnt know that, and a really helpful github repo here:

https://github.com/F-l-i-x/TouchOSC/tree/main/examples

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll check them out. Yes, I use some examples in the main menu to investigate how the layouts are structured, yet, I still can't get some prime concepts of OSC protocol.

Thank you again and will be waiting for your future contributions on this!
Old 09-20-2021, 01:14 AM   #5
GeckoLikesMartini

Hi SymboliC,

Here you can find an OSC template for Reaper with (free) Open Stage Control.

https://openstagecontrol.discourse.g...ntrol-2020/946

It may give you some hints about OSC and Reaper.

Regards, mj
GeckoLikesMartini is offline   Reply With Quote