Old 01-29-2019, 03:12 AM   #161
nitsuj
Human being with feelings

Thanks for the recent suggestions all. I'll take them onboard and you may see some of them in ReEQ in the future, time permitting. Appreciated.

Regarding the ReaEQ rendering issue (now spotted on Facebook). I've messaged Justin to see if he's got any idea what might be causing that. I think it is only a rendering state issue, it doesn't affect audio as far as I can tell.

I'll need to allocate some time for a really good debugging session in order to reduce down to what's causing it. Expect a fix or at least a diagnosis soon.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #162
Roger McGuire

Default Fantastic plugin

Hi All & Particularly Nitsuj who has created this fantastic plugin.
Ive been using it for the past week or so & it's just great...I'd go so far as to say it's "Fab" (wink, wink).
One request I have is, would it be possible to keep the fader controls from the original reaEq?
I find them really handy when it comes to pulling out frequencies once they've been identified. Just grab the fader & pull it down (no shaky hand to contend with).
Thanks for such a great plugin, your work is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Roger.

Wexford
Ireland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaeq.JPG (39.4 KB, 64 views)
Roger McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #163
tonybeepbeep

I've literally been playing with this for the last 10 minutes on my works laptop, using the internal speakers and I can still hear the nuances of the EQ. Can't wait to get home and put it into a mix on my real system.
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #164
DaveKeehl

Hi!

I've got a few extra suggestions:

Is it possible...
  • not to stop the spectrum analyzer when opening any menu/option inside the plugin?
  • to have smoother lines? Both in the eq and in the spectrum analyzer. The line display is nice though! It would be lovely to have that kind of smothness everywhere.
  • to add another option to the spectrum analyzer to have both fill and line (settings > display)?
  • reset the dry/wet control at the bottom by double-clicking?
  • add a few extra options for the limit button?
  • add an option to use a keystroke to be able to not move the mouse cursor while addingg or reducing the gain of a single band?
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #165
tonybeepbeep

Am I a masochist if I spend the next hour EQing a metal snare drum with this?

So intuitive once you get used to the input and workflow
Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #166
tonybeepbeep

OMG I'm having fun here. Even enjoying high passing some guitar tracks and the resultant sound is massive!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:22 AM   #167
nitsuj

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
  • not to stop the spectrum analyzer when opening any menu/option inside the plugin?
  • to have smoother lines? Both in the eq and in the spectrum analyzer. The line display is nice though! It would be lovely to have that kind of smoothness everywhere.
  • to add another option to the spectrum analyzer to have both fill and line (settings > display)?
  • reset the dry/wet control at the bottom by double-clicking?
  • add a few extra options for the limit button?
  • add an option to use a keystroke to be able to not move the mouse cursor while addingg or reducing the gain of a single band?
Running the analyzer concurrently when the menu displays is something I don't have control over in JSFX. Hands are tied on that one.

Smoother lines would be great. I develop on Mac so on that platform it uses retina and it looks really smooth. Admittedly less so on non-retina. I have tried to hack some kind of poor mans anti-aliasing but it doesn't alway work well. What's really needed is for Cockos to implement anti-aliasing for their line drawing (and other primitive) functions in JSFX. I'll think about the fill and line option.

At one point I thought I had implemented double clicking to reset the bottom parameters. I'll see about sorting that out.

What options are you thinking about for the limiting? The main purpose is to brick wall limit so that you don't get excessive volume. It's not intended to be a limiter for using in a musical capacity.

In my build I've already added frequency and gain lock for moving a filter node, so that'll be released soon. Your suggestion would take a little more work as there's currently no concept of a selected filter node except when the mouse is over it. The moment the key press altered the gain, the mouse cursor would no longer be over the filter node and so it wouldn't be selected any more. I'll give it some thought though.

Other than that, I'm adding extra filter types, improving solo/listen mode and improving node dragging amongst other smaller fixes and improvements.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:39 AM   #168
DaveKeehl

Ok great stuff, as always!

For the limiter I guess you’re right. Maybe showing better when the limiter is turned on/off? Right now the box background color changes, so you have to know what each color means, which is a bit unintuitive.

One last thing I just realized would be awesome would be the ability to select bands by dragging the mouse. As it happens with Nova by TDR.

I can’t wait to try the first complete version of your plugin dude!
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #169
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
Smoother lines would be great. I develop on Mac so on that platform it uses retina and it looks really smooth. Admittedly less so on non-retina. I have tried to hack some kind of poor mans anti-aliasing but it doesn't alway work well. What's really needed is for Cockos to implement anti-aliasing for their line drawing (and other primitive) functions in JSFX.
...I assume you know that line and lineto and other primitive functions (circle, roundrect, arc, etc) do have optional anti-aliasing in JSFX on windows/linux? Curious what you meant here?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:57 AM   #170
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
...I assume you know that line and lineto and other primitive functions (circle, roundrect, arc, etc) do have optional anti-aliasing in JSFX on windows/linux? Curious what you meant here?
Sure, I wasn't clear enough.

In ReEQ the only normal width lines are the Bode grid lines. All the other lines need to be wider in order to look ok. So...the real problem isn't AA on its own per-se, it's that there's no inbuilt function to draw thicker lines and make them look ok. If you have AA off, they look too pixelated and if you have AA on, thicker lines look blurred because you have to draw multiple lines yourself and the AA overlaps.

The AA I was talking about trying to hack was drawing a line then drawing darker lines (using alpha) either side of it to make it thicker but smoother. Of course, you have to account for lines that are biased more towards vertical or horizontal and the whole idea starts to feel like a bodge (which it is!).

So, I guess my request for JSFX would be the ability to specify line thickness (for lines, rectangles, circles etc) with AA that handles correctly. Extra nice if thicker lines (optionally) terminated in half circles to round them off.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #171
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
So, I guess my request for JSFX would be the ability to specify line thickness (for lines, rectangles, circles etc) with AA that handles correctly. Extra nice if thicker lines (optionally) terminated in half circles to round them off.
Yeah, this would be a really nice feature. I've noticed the same. It's very hard to get nice anti-aliased lineshapes with stuff that needs to be wider than 1px. Usually I draw the 'core' at full alpha and no antialias, then draw the corners again with antialias. I have noticed though that it is really important to round the line coordinates down or up to full pixels when doing this, otherwise you get a mess.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #172
clepsydrae

+1 for more graphics functions

And I have also noticed the sensitivity to integer-vs-not parameters to graphics functions.

Also recently found a very tiny bug in JSFX line drawing.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote