Old 02-11-2019, 02:44 AM   #1
Kitarraman
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper freezing during mix

Hi everyone, I am having a freezing problem with Reaper. I work mostly with virtual instruments and when this issue occurs, it doesn't bother me because I use a lot of heavy Kontakt instruments. Once I've done writing, I render all the MIDI tracks and start mixing and that's where the problem starts to bother me: yesterday I worked on a project with less than 40 tracks (don't remember the exact amount and I can't check the project right now), I rendered all the tracks and started mixing using almost exclusively the Solid EQ and the Solid Dynamics from Native Instruments. From time to time the program had some hiccups which lasted a few seconds, ranging from 1 to 6 seconds (during this hiccups, neither Reaper or the plugins weren't answering to my inputs, the GUI of the arrange view and the mixer was frozen etc.). I thought this was happening due to the Imperial LCS theme, but switching to the Default Theme didn't change much.

When I closed the mix and started mastering, I loaded in my master track a Luftikus EQ, an LA2A and a tape simulator clone from an italian independent developer (they're x86 plugins), the YouLean Loudness Meter and the spectrum analyzer that comes with JS ReEQ and I noticed that all the plugins froze with Reaper, except for the x86 ones who kept running (the GR animation and the tape reel on the GUI were respectively moving and spinning) and they also moved according to my mouse input.

According to a friend of mine, this happens because of a plugin that's causing all this mess, any idea on how I can test, verify which plugin is the "bottleneck" and troubleshoot this issue? Because it's really annoying.
Kitarraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:48 AM   #2
Kitarraman

Some info I forgot to mention.
I'm using Reaper 5.965 and I'm using a windows notebook with the following specs: i7 8700k, 32gb of DDR4 ram 2666ghz, GTX1070m, Samsung SSD 970EVO 256gb (that's the drive I have Reaper installed on) and a SSHD Firecuda 2tb (Where plugins and the project folder are)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:18 AM   #3
Coachz

Can you increase your buffer size during mixing? Also when tracking, freeze tracks you are done with tracking, especially vsti tracks.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 AM   #4
Kitarraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Can you increase your buffer size during mixing? Also when tracking, freeze tracks you are done with tracking, especially vsti tracks.
The buffer is already at 1024, I lower it only when I'm recording and I have rendered all the vsti tracks and muted the originals (so Kontakt is no longer weighing on the computer) before I started mixing