Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #41
toleolu
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
If you watched the stream today you'd see that on average its infinity punches, then give up and just try and edit it to be something passable
Which stream are you referring too???
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #42
pipelineaudio
Mortal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpkbhCNv16Q
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #43
ashcat_lt

Quote:
NO. Jesus. Yuck. I mean, I'd take their money, but...

Why do your recorded items only get so long no matter how long you record. I notice you can drag them out to recover the whole take, but what is happening there?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #44
toleolu

Damn brother, hit me up on iMessage when you do something like that.

I was in Kaa'awa yesterday, might have been able to swing by.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #45
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post

Why do your recorded items only get so long no matter how long you record. I notice you can drag them out to recover the whole take, but what is happening there?
Looks like time selection auto-punch is on.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #46
yep

A thing I always tell people is that we can fix anything in the computer, but playing it right is always cheaper and faster than fixing it in the computer, and making decisions in the live room is always cheaper and faster than making them in the control room. By that I mean, we will do as many takes and punch-ins as it takes, but just decide after each take whether it's a keeper, or whether to delete.

Did it feel good? No technical problems? Great, we got it, next section. No? Cool. Delete and do it again. The worst thing is keeping everything, and then trying to splice it all into something good.

It's like, for a 3-minute song, it takes 30 minutes to do ten takes. No problem, keep doing takes until you get a good one. The problem with keeping them all, is that now it takes another 30 minutes, back in the control room, to listen to all ten takes. And then it takes another hour and half to do the thing where the drummer wants to hear the bridge from take two compared to take seven, and we all debate which one was better and whether we could fix the mistake in take four which had that cool thing... staring at a computer screen is just not a good way to make music, unless you are making computer music.

Go back out there in the room and play it over and over until it sounds good and feels good. It's quicker and cheaper and it sounds better. Punch-ins are totally cool, as are overdubs. Just please not the "let's record 20 takes and then splice the best parts together in the computer" approach...
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:38 AM   #47
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Looks like time selection auto-punch is on.
Yup!

I was gonna say
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #48
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
The worst thing is keeping everything, and then trying to splice it all into something good.
You're points are spot on, but I do think there's a place for this. When you're in a commercial studio with multiple sets of ears, it's easier to make judgements on the fly.

But for the bedroom producer, playing all the roles and doing it solo, old, shitty takes can be helpful and stopping to make judgment calls during a creative process can be a roadblock.

Do I listen to all 73 of my takes before I pick one? Hell no. But if it took me 73 tries to get one I felt good about and there's a hiccup, it's going to be way faster to patch it up with one of the previous takes than to do a dozen more trying to get it just right.

Generally I go until I get a take that felt good all the way through and keep the previous ones just in case and because sometimes the sloppy first take sounds the best.

Also, for non-professional musicians, comping takes is sometimes the only way to achieve a credible recording, esp when you are trying to play every instrument yourself. I do so many takes partly as practice too, because an unedited performance is almost always superior to a comped one.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #49
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Yup!
I have never used it. Can I ask why? You're recording outside the time selection, so what's up with that?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote