Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
Thunderbuck Ram
Human being with feelings

Default Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen Pops and Crackles on all play back

Had a new PC built. Windows 10. Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM. Had an issue with the Hardware on the RAM, RAM has been changed and all Hardware Prime 95 tested.
However, my Focusrite 2i4 which had been working OK is now crackling and popping when I use Reaper (or any audio playback - spotify, iTunes, youtube). Tried different USB ports, checked USB config to ensure no internal hub. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Updated all other drivers. Driving me nuts! Any thoughts or wisdom is greatly appreciated, many thanks. Mike, Melbourne.
Thunderbuck Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Herr Nox

Is your Focusrite a 1st or 2nd gen? I remember having some issues with mine (1st gen) and it was resolved by using the 2nd gen drivers - they're compatible.

As for REAPER, have you tried increasing your buffer size?
Old 12-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
pepe44

Did you install de latest drivers ? how is your ASIO control panel setup, if you run too much Vsti´s and plugins it is better to increase the buffer size for playback.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:52 AM   #4
Thunderbuck Ram

Thanks both for the replies.
Uninstalled and reinstalled Drivers making sure they were 2nd Gen. This improves things for a few minutes only then the pops and crackles start and get worse so play back is terrible in a few minutes.
Followed all the guides on tweaking your Windows 10 for audio (highest power settings etc, quick start up disabled etc) but still no fix.
Tried using every USB on Motherboard (including USB2). No difference.
Contacted Focusrite and they say I have the correct drivers and the problem lies elsewhere with PC System Drivers.
Downloaded and ran DRIVER EASY, it reports all drivers healthy and up to date.
As I said in the first post, it ran OK until I had a problem with some bad RAM hardware, once I got this fixed and the system running again, having this audio problem.
Any additional thoughts most welcome.
Thunderbuck Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:08 AM   #5
azslow3

Have you monitored with LatencyMon?
If you have changed RAM modules for different, it is worse checking what exactly is set in BIOS (RAM timing and other options), may be reset BIOS settings.

My own general checklist (the first part is not DAW specific): http://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=395.0
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
Bravo6

Do you absolutely NEED to install the drivers in order to make your Focusrite box work in Windoze 10? Maybe the drivers are not working correctly?

Another possibility -- This may seem objectionable, but try installing another DAW (Audacity maybe...it is free) and then see how the Focusrite box acts with the other DAW. If it still acts badly, then it could be that there is something wrong with your box.

I have a 2i2 and and 18i8. They both work flawlessly on both Linux Mint 19 and Windoze 7 WITHOUT any Focusrite drivers installed. Both boxes are readily recognized by Reaper and Audacity.

Hope this helps your troubleshooting effort....

Last edited by Bravo6; 01-13-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Bravo6 is offline   Reply With Quote