Old 12-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #361
SynthMusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerododo View Post
Reaper is a great daw imho, but Sws Extensions and scripts transform it in the best daw. For this reason i think that cockos has a decision to make: implement sws extensions natively.
A lot of great people out there are programming great scripts and repack is life saver, but there is too much material to deal! there are thousands of actions and scripts without a guide. i am sure i am missing great tools, but i can't find them!!
+1 from moi
SynthMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #362
SynthMusic

Default Refine the autosave feature

Make it so the autosave is configurable to only save a specific number of instances. Like if you have it set to 3 it will overwrite the 3rd oldest save in the folder and so on.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #363
SynthMusic

Default even up the cross platform to include native linux version support

Include native linux version support and have a repository for updates in debian distributions. Look, Linux is here to stay. Distributions like Ubuntu and others are making it easier for the casual user to implement and they are a great alternative to windows. It would be nice to see Reaper take advantage of the head-start that they have on all the other popular DAWs when it comes to Linux.

Of course being a Linux user I would love to see more plugin standards like lv2 and ladpsa.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:47 AM   #364
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
beside .svg support, zoomable interface, zoom in or out as much as you want, might be handy for touch/pen displays. No matter how small the buttons are you could always do some pre/post zooming after each action.
But ok, there is ZoomIt, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...wnloads/zoomit
The T-Racks plugins now have a technology I've seen nowhere else where their bitmap-like interface are actually resizable at will. So it looks better than vector interfaces like Ableton, but it's still completely resizable.

edit: on closer look they seem vector-based, but well made. I don't know if it's SVG or something else.

You can see an example here at 2:10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My4KwCi1T_A

Pretty impressive.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 12-02-2017 at 01:06 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #365
Sound asleep

It would be nice for me, anyway, if the toolbar you add to the top, stays only over arrange window, rather than extending all the way over the standard toolbar that over TCP.

A vector interface might be pretty cool, but I think that's a lot of work, and for me, not such a huge improvement. I find Bitmaps look fine, and are more easily customizable, and if you have more unique screen size requirements, there are usually some 3rd party themes that will do the trick.

I do like vector themes though.

Some really cool WYSIWYG Walter editor might be sweet though. Something like dreamweaver but for theming. There are a few things I wish I could alter with my theme, but learning walter is a bit too much for me. Swapping out bitmaps is no problem. But moving them around and resizing them in walter seems very complicated to me.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #366
dOhm

Default Preset manager

Hello,
One thing that could be added together would be (a database) a presets library creation engine for our ever increasing number of VST and VSTis.
Multiple editable tags, categories, bank projects, exchanges on stash between users by instruments or FX... A bit like the soft VIP (Akai and other keyboards controllers) or the one from NI, but with Cocko's spirit...
All this simply integrated into a DAW by intelligently coded and compressed files...
In any case, thank you all
Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #367
Colox

What about starting to add 'cool mythic' nicknames to each Reaper version, or update? Like OSX does.

Reaper 6 "Djungle King"
Reaper 6.5 "Sea Deamon"
Reaper 7 "Llama Mayhem" .. like that :P

Last edited by Colox; 12-06-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #368
reapercurious

make Reaper 5 freeware, and make Reaper 6 so good that no one would use Reaper 5. Otherwise, keep incrementing 5.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #369
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
make Reaper 5 freeware, and make Reaper 6 so good that no one would use Reaper 5. Otherwise, keep incrementing 5.
I want a subscription model!!!!

Enough with this $60 stuff. What are we Richie Rich?

I want to pay $5 a month. Less than a pot of coffee!!!
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #370
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

Ooh yeah, and make it iLok protected too!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #371
pepe44

Quote:

Lol!

I came here to say , again, i would love Playlists PT style in reaper!
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #372
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
Lol!

I came here to say , again, i would love Playlists PT style in reaper!
I would not hate playlists.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #373
ivansc

Quote:

Total ripoff!!!

$5 a month would be $60 a year and us europeans would have to pay 20% sales tax on top of that!

This on top of Brexit would undoubtedly push me over the edge - do you REALLY want my life on your hands???

Last edited by ivansc; 12-06-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: ) is not 0
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #374
MRMJP

Quote:
+1

Cheers to Kenny for acknowledging where REAPER has room to grow and improve even when it's already a pretty amazing piece of software.

Playlists and true Direct Offline Processing similar to AudioSuite would be real nice additions.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:11 AM   #375
daverich

Id like to see continued development on video, especially gpu rendering and thumbnails on the timeline.

ummm

continued linux support and reatune improvements....

ummm

ummmmm

*shrug* - dunno pretty content still with v4 tbh....
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:15 AM   #376
drichard

This is not just to Kenny, so anyone could chime in. But can someone please offer an overview of how Playlists differ from Comps, and how they are better than using comps?

Quote:
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #377
bclindner

Better tools for BPM matching would be good to have. The "Create measure from time selection" is the only real way to detect tempo in REAPER, and it's super finicky, so any time I want to work with sampled material that I need to tempo-match, I just use Live or FL Studio instead.
bclindner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:07 AM   #378
emarsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
can someone please offer an overview of how Playlists differ from Comps, and how they are better than using comps?
In Reaper's comps all the takes are strictly "glued" together as if they were one single item: they have all the same length, you split them all together, you move them all together… A PITA if you need to realign each take differently.

The lanes in Pro Tools' playlists behave more like standard tracks with exclusive solo relative to each other: you can play only one lane at a time, but the items in each lane are independent. The advantage is that you can freely move items into and out of lanes and around, realign them, easily make comps from previously unrelated items etc. The disadvantage is that comping is a bit less elegant: you select an item and click to copy it on the "main lane".
emarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #379
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
This is not just to Kenny, so anyone could chime in. But can someone please offer an overview of how Playlists differ from Comps, and how they are better than using comps?
I assume you mean "takes" and not "comps"

Comps are just the result of the Takes you have chosen.

Playlists differ from takes in that Takes are based on objects called "Items".

So you could have 5 Media Items on a track, but with 3 takes for the first one, 4 takes for the second one and on and on. Each Item having a different number of takes.

Playlists are based on the Track. Not the Item. So you could have 12 playlists on a Track that you could switch between at any point and it would switch the whole track. Which could contain a varying amount of items and allowing different takes on each of those items.

While you can use the Takes system to mimic a Playlist system, there are benefits to having both systems available.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #380
pepe44

Best way for now of doing that is creating master folder and inside that folder sub
folders for each take, which is time consuming when your on a recording session . Duplicate , group, rec. Not to mention the fact that is visually not the best way. Playlist and group trakcs is my only reason to keep using PT on studios..:/
Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #381
philper

When you move items up or down to a different track and the item moves through various envelope lines, please make it so that the item does not "pick up" odd incorrect points along the way.

Please make it so that multichannel items that are the result of SWS "implosions" can have the levels of all the constituent channels be adjusted together in the Media Item Properties window (PC).

An updated default Theme that shows solo and mute at "wider" screen zoom settings.

The ability to zoom out farther than currently possible (even at the loss of any track controls at all), to be able to see all of large-track-count projects at once.

Some sort of viewable searchable EDL so I can find an item I've already used without searching through the timeline.

The ability to import and export AAFs, particularly from Avid MC, Premiere and X2Pro. I realize this may be beyond the scope of Reaper's core mission.

apologies if these have been mentioned already

thx
philper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #382
SynthMusic

Quote:

That was sarcasm. Right?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #383
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
Id like to see continued development on video, especially gpu rendering and thumbnails on the timeline.
GPU rendering would be pretty nice indeed (even tough i don't use Reaper for video but I might). That's something that they might actually do.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #384
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthMusic View Post
That was sarcasm. Right?
Yes
Old 12-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #385
Glennbo

This might have already been tossed out there, but how about making it so that when working with multi-input / multi-output VSTi plugins, that the tracks used for midi could also be the same tracks used for audio output.

I would LOVE it if I could put Kontakt on a folder, and then each child track of that folder that is used for midi input to Kontakt could also be the audio output track as well.

Then using only 17 tracks I could have a folder that is the instrument, followed by 16 midi/audio tracks that act as though they are single instrument VSTi tracks.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #386
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
This might have already been tossed out there, but how about making it so that when working with multi-input / multi-output VSTi plugins, that the tracks used for midi could also be the same tracks used for audio output.

I would LOVE it if I could put Kontakt on a folder, and then each child track of that folder that is used for midi input to Kontakt could also be the audio output track as well.

Then using only 17 tracks I could have a folder that is the instrument, followed by 16 midi/audio tracks that act as though they are single instrument VSTi tracks.
That is already possible!!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #387
Glennbo

Quote:
That is already possible!!
How? If I disable parent send on the folder with Kontakt, then I get no sound out of the folder, which I expect has to be done, since I don't want the sound coming from the folder, but from the midi track that is a child of the folder.

In addition to that question, why does REAPER have,

"Build multichannel routing for OUTPUT of selected FX"

and

"Build 16 channels of midi routing to this track"

but NOT

"Build multichannel routing for output AND 16 midi channels of routing to this track"?

If it can be done, I would sure like to know how, because I've attempted doing it more than a few times and never could get a track that is receiving midi from my midi keyboard to ALSO playback the audio on the same track that midi is coming in on.

Last edited by Glennbo; 12-07-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #388
Fergler

You have to disable feedback routing or send audio through a VST rather than Reaper's own sends
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #389
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
You have to disable feedback routing or send audio through a VST rather than Reaper's own sends
OK, and after about twenty minutes of trying stuff with feedback enabled, I'm still NOT getting it to happen.

Here's what I'm trying to make work.

[FOLDER with Kontakt and no audio output] --- [Midi channel 1 input and 1st audio output from Kontakt] --- [Midi channel 2 input and 2nd audio output from Kontakt]

So back to my original request . . .

I want REAPER to make this shit happen for me with a third option besides the existing two that can lace up 16 midi tracks, or can lace up 16 stereo audio tracks, but not both using only 16 combined "midi in"/"audio out" tracks.

Anybody got a template that has Kontakt on a folder with 16 child tracks that are each BOTH the midi inputs and audio outputs?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #390
Glennbo

Quote:
OK, and after about twenty minutes of trying stuff with feedback enabled, I'm still NOT getting it to happen.

Here's what I'm trying to make work.

[FOLDER with Kontakt and no audio output] --- [Midi channel 1 input and 1st audio output from Kontakt] --- [Midi channel 2 input and 2nd audio output from Kontakt]

So back to my original request . . .

I want REAPER to make this shit happen for me with a third option besides the existing two that can lace up 16 midi tracks, or can lace up 16 stereo audio tracks, but not both using only 16 combined "midi in"/"audio out" tracks.

Anybody got a template that has Kontakt on a folder with 16 child tracks that are each BOTH the midi inputs and audio outputs?

OK, another twenty or so minutes and still no go.

I wanna see somebody prove me wrong!!!

Make this project that I am attaching work.

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1512684942

Last edited by Glennbo; 12-09-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #391
pepe44

wouldn't it be easier if you leave your MIDI tracks just for MIDI control messages for kontakt and create the same exact amount of tracks for audio output coming from kontakt,like you´ll always have lets say,

Track 1 - Kontakt Module loaded with your VI´s

Track 2 - Piano 1 MIDI - Midi channel 1 Kontakt
Track 3 - Piano 1 AUDIO - Stereo ou 1|2 Kontakt

Track 4 - Drums Stereo 1 MIDI - Midi channel 2 Kontakt
Track 5 - Drums Stereo 1 Audio - Stereo Out 3|4 Kontakt

Track 6 - Synth 1 MIDI - Midi channel 3 Kontakt
Track 7 - Synth 1 Audio - Stereo Out 7|8 Kontakt

...all separate.

I prefer that way! no messing around too much with routing and visually is cleaner and more flexible to make alterations. In my opinion.

Hope i made my self clear, eheh!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #392
Glennbo

Quote:
wouldn't it be easier if you leave your MIDI tracks just for MIDI control messages for kontakt and create the same exact amount of tracks for audio output coming from kontakt,like you´ll always have lets say,

Track 1 - Kontakt Module loaded with your VI´s

Track 2 - Piano 1 MIDI - Midi channel 1 Kontakt
Track 3 - Piano 1 AUDIO - Stereo ou 1|2 Kontakt

Track 4 - Drums Stereo 1 MIDI - Midi channel 2 Kontakt
Track 5 - Drums Stereo 1 Audio - Stereo Out 3|4 Kontakt

Track 6 - Synth 1 MIDI - Midi channel 3 Kontakt
Track 7 - Synth 1 Audio - Stereo Out 7|8 Kontakt

...all separate.

I prefer that way! no messing around too much with routing and visually is cleaner and more flexible to make alterations. In my opinion.

Hope i made my self clear, eheh!
It was crystal clear. What I asked for can't be done in REAPER currently.

The reason I would want that capability, is because I would prefer to burn half as many tracks to make the exact same behavior happen as if I had used multiple instances of Kontakt.

I can currently put three copies of Kontakt on three different tracks and end up using only three tracks. Each one can have different instrument sounds, and each one can *BOTH* receive midi and play Kontakt's audio.

I would like to see REAPER 6 allow me to setup a Kontakt track, and then have child tracks that can *BOTH* receive midi and play Kontakt's audio, just as I can currently do *IF* I use extra instances of Kontakt, which I'm guessing is less efficient than using a single instance.

This is easier than using seven tracks to do the same thing, but needs a copy of Kontakt for each instrument.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-22-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #393
ashcat_lt

Have we mentioned named track channels?

It might also be nice if track channels showed up as eligible for a send/receive directly, rather than having to choose the track and then change the channel assignment.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #394
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post

It might also be nice if track channels showed up as eligible for a send/receive directly, rather than having to choose the track and then change the channel assignment.
+1

This would be great.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #395
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

Can you elaborate?
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #396
mehmethan

- ARA support (which is about to happen)
- Area Selection in arrange view.
- Visual polish (Theme elements, walter)

I’m done👍
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #397
Sound asleep

Quote:

I think what you mean, is like if you right clicked on the send button or something, then a menu could popup where you could click and drag whatever stereo pair to your destination track, and then the right channels would be routed?

For me, whatever setting I have that I don't think I always had, right after I click and drag a send, the send dialog opens, and then I can quickly choose whatever stereo pair to send, which is not much worse at all. The only kind of more difficult thing I think, is if you have a number of sends and you need to get to the right one.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #398
ashcat_lt

The thing about naming channels isn't actually my original idea, but I like it. It's not even really about sends. It would be nice to come back to a project after it's been a while and be able to see some descriptive names to help me figure out why I've got twelve channels on the track and what I was using each one for. We have some decent graphic display scripts that can help visualize the signal flow, but labels could be very helpful.

Then if you make a send to a named channel, you'd be able to tell just by looking at the MCP that - for example - the send on the kick track is going to "bass - sidechain" without having to dig in and figure out what channel it's going to and then where is that channel routed on the receive track...

...and then I was thinking about actually going into the I/O window and creating sends or receives from there. It might be nice if in the pulldown where we choose the track, it had any defined channels on those tracks in some sort tree, or IDK if we chan have them fly open like a sub-menu or something. It just saves that extra step of having to do the other dropdown right after.

Hadn't really thought about how it might work in a drag-and-drop context, but anything to make it quicker and more intuitive and easier to keep straight would help. I noticed the other day that if you use the mouse modifier to create sends from all selected tracks via drag, that box pops up where you can change the channels, but it only actually applies to one of the selected tracks, and you have to change all the others manually.

I think I read there are decent actions available in SWS for quickly adding sends/receives to/from channels other than the default 1/2. I need to look into that further, and if it works, I'm cool. Native solution is always preferred, of course.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #399
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
The thing about naming channels isn't actually my original idea, but I like it. It's not even really about sends. It would be nice to come back to a project after it's been a while and be able to see some descriptive names to help me figure out why I've got twelve channels on the track and what I was using each one for. We have some decent graphic display scripts that can help visualize the signal flow, but labels could be very helpful.

Then if you make a send to a named channel, you'd be able to tell just by looking at the MCP that - for example - the send on the kick track is going to "bass - sidechain" without having to dig in and figure out what channel it's going to and then where is that channel routed on the receive track...

...and then I was thinking about actually going into the I/O window and creating sends or receives from there. It might be nice if in the pulldown where we choose the track, it had any defined channels on those tracks in some sort tree, or IDK if we chan have them fly open like a sub-menu or something. It just saves that extra step of having to do the other dropdown right after.

Hadn't really thought about how it might work in a drag-and-drop context, but anything to make it quicker and more intuitive and easier to keep straight would help. I noticed the other day that if you use the mouse modifier to create sends from all selected tracks via drag, that box pops up where you can change the channels, but it only actually applies to one of the selected tracks, and you have to change all the others manually.

I think I read there are decent actions available in SWS for quickly adding sends/receives to/from channels other than the default 1/2. I need to look into that further, and if it works, I'm cool. Native solution is always preferred, of course.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #400
strachupl

Quote:
OK, another twenty or so minutes and still no go.

I wanna see somebody prove me wrong!!!

Make this project that I am attaching work.

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1512684942
feedback routing, You can send midi to kontakt and receive back audio from kontakt on same track.

Another way would be build audio outs to external tracks and control midi only on Kontakt track.

strachupl is online now   Reply With Quote